help with German

Unless I'm traveling I rarely have over $20 in my pocket. I run almost exclusively on debit cards; or AMEX if it's for a business expense.

English is terrible for double entendre. And French... I can read their newspaper's cartoons and jokes and be completely baffled. ...Jim Thompson

My wife never goes into my wallet, especially to put anything in it. ;-)

A few weeks ago we were listening to a new blurb on the radio where they stated that the average American had less than $500 in cash (bank accounts). My wife commented how ours had quickly evaporated over the last year (down payment on this house, two mortgages and house expenses, fixing up both, etc.) I said, "Hell, I have $500 in my wallet." Says she, "Oh?". Oops. ;-)

I generally have between $500 and $1000 in my wallet, more often

"Under water"? "Under the current"? I could understand "under the weather". ;-)

Reply to
krw

I sometimes have to travel out of the blue. Instantly. $20 in the pocket would turn into an "Oh dang!" situation pretty quickly if I forget. This is also why we have checklists for just about everything. Else packing a suitcase, briefcase, tools and whatnot in under 10 minutes becomes impossible.

Amex is what I used to have a long time ago but don't anymore, mostly because acceptance is not a given everywhere.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

nce)

unit

rder to

.

Far from it. You should stick around to give linguists and psycholinguists one more decidedly different language on which to test their theories. Basque is good but others are necessary. One hypothesis about the way that language works was falsified by a weird grammatical form used in a minor dialect of Dutch, and more funny languages make it easier to kill off other bad ideas.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And that is a very sad state of affairs :-(

That's ok, those are investments and could be tapped via equity lines if needed. Because you have equity in them.

BIG mistake. There goes the chance to sneak off to Home Depot's tool department (or nowadays herramientas) and splurge. Now she might expect some bling-bling instead :-)

Or the dude with the sawed-off Remington wanting your bucks.

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Oops. Sorry. I should have known that - and did a while ago - but my German is now very rusty and heavily contaminated by the Dutch I've learned since 1993.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Really amazing, when you consider that this is the norm.

I'm not worried about it. There's plenty in long-term money (401Ks, etc.), just the cash has been hammered pretty heavily over the last year. It'll recover quickly once we get the house sold.

It's still there. ;-) Oh, and I've already made a few of those hunting expeditions. ;-)

Nah. Just don't show off or go into the inner city or where the druggies hang out and it's pretty safe. The Walther PPK (a nice pocket gun, BTW - 007 thought so too) is decent insurance. ;-)

Reply to
krw

13 million US households have zero or negative net wealth. So I (or anyone with any positive net worth) have more wealth than 25 million or so Americans combined. Sounds awfully unfair, no?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yes, we must fix that problem immediately, comrade Obama.

Reply to
krw

Well gosh John, i am sorry i came to this soo late. I have TIA-568 set and can understand it. I can lookup or guess the German (perhaps with a clue or two from Jeorg).

It is a shame that i can't read your file.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

from

restaurant?"

Mmmmm, venison. Preferably smoked.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

at it

bank

It doesn't sound like a fixable problem. Some people spend all the money they've got and all the money they can borrow, which does guarantee that some households will always have zero or negative wealth. Obama isn't likely to waste his time trying to fix the unfixable - if he was as psychotic as the right-wing nitwits like to imagine he might organise a few drone strikes to take out the more intractable Tea Party congressmen, but he seems to be realistic enough to realise that their electorates would react by electing even sillier replacements.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Hell, my best guess comes out as weatherability. If you read on in the text you could tell me if i am anywhere near close.\

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

are

"resistance

I cannot see how that would possibly apply in the context. The aquadag that i am familiar with is the "conductive" coating used in CRTs to collect the current from the anode.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

capacitance)

Well my guess was rather off target.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

"Belag"

teeth,

too.

You bet. And some of them are not sensibly related (some times "any more" applies here). But that is a problem in all languages AFAIK.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

"Belag"

teeth,

meanings too.

the

Dang, did you ever figure out how to pay your Farh?

????-))

Reply to
josephkk

that "Belag"

on teeth,

toppings on a

meanings too.

Especially

have

practitioners)

perfectly

even

flummoxed,

didn't

from the

Sounds like it should be overrun in "halfway houses" or other seedy inns.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

:

"Belag"

teeth,

causal

Surely you have heard of roadkill pizza?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

harder to

wrote

(danube),

needed?

Yep, in German class in high school i substituted Klassencollegen for Klassencamaraden one day and got complimented by the teacher. Didn't understand properly for a long time.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk