Help! What does all of this mean?

I'm looking at what PIC's to get and I see all these different kinds and I have no idea what I should get.

What's the difference between 16F876 and 16LF867 and 16LF876A? What's the difference between package types, like PDIP, SPDIP, etc.. What does I/P or I/SS or I/SP mean?

I'm looking to make some LED displays, but first I thought I'd try a few sample projects like this one:

There, they specify using a PIC16LF876A-I/SS-ND, but I'd like to understand why they picked that one over all the other PIC16's.

Thanks a bunch.. Now I just hope I can understand the responses.. ;) I'm a computer geek that's trying to do electronic stuff.. don't know the termonology..

-Shay

Reply to
GamersCloset

A good book that is worth purchasing is "PIC in Practise by D.W. Smith ISBN 0-7506-4812-0

Here are some links Shay

PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

"GamersCloset" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Ok the 16F876 is the basic PIC of this type The LF is usual for a low power consumption and a lower VCC so you can power it by using 2 AA type batteries The A is a newer model with some improved functions.

PDIP is a Plastic Dual Inlin Pin Packege with is the conventional through hole package For larger PICS there might be the SPDIP which is the same wisth but longer, a normal PDIP with 40 leads is about 15 mm width a S(kinny) PDIP is about 10 mm width (the same as a 8 or 16 pin (P)DIP).

PIC AA B CCCC D - EE F / GG HHH PIC is de type of device AA is the family (for the instruction set) to which the PIC belongs B is the technology (explained before) CCCC is de Device Number D how the device is shipped (from MF) on tape or real (only for certain packages) EE the frequency range (4 or 20 MHz) F The temperature range, I (or in somtimes E) which is sometimes missing is for the temprature range. If it's missing it's the normal type, I stands for industrial and E for Extanded temperature range GG is the package type: P is Plastic DIP SN is SOIC (Gull Wing, 150 mil) SO is SOIC (Gull Wing, 300 mil) SP is Skinny PDIP ST is TSSOP ML is QFN SS is SSOP PT is TQFP L is PLCC HHH is a pattern code and certain package types

Well some of this is explained above, anf why the 876A perhaps because of the peripheral functions or just because this one is in (almost) every electronics store available. But you can always take a look at the datasheets

Well in that case this might be overkill :( But I hope you can use some of it. I think the best package for you is the (S)PDIP On the microchip site there's also a description of everything (with pictures :D)

Good Luck,

Alexander

Reply to
Alexander

neither has anyone else, unless you state in much more detail what you want, how much money abd time you are willing to spend, and what your currenmt abilities are.

maybe read

Wouter van Ooijen

Webshop for PICs and other electronics
Teacher electronics and informatics