help with German

What do these mean? (It's about CAT6 cables)

ACR (graph is dB vs freq, sloping up from about -100 at 1 MHz)

Power Sum ACR (similar)

EL FEXT (similar)

Power Sum EL (similar)

Wellendämpfung (slopes down)

Eingangsreflexion (flattish, -30 dB)

Vierpoldämpfung (slopes down from 0 dB)

Kapazitätsbelag (5-ish nF per 100m vs freq, looks like capacitance)

LCL (Scd11) (messy)

Induktivitätsbelag (about 40 uH/100m)

Laufzeit (about 440 ns/100m... looks like Tpd?)

Laufzeit, Differenz (skew?)

Laufzeit, Diff. Paar (also skew?)

Phasenbelag (straight line, probably phase vs freq)

Widerstandsbelag

SRL

Eingangsimpedanz

Here's the doc:

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'll give it a go and let Joerg kick in..

Wave attenuation

Input reflection (flat, -30dB)

4th pole attenuation

nce)

Capacitance value

Inductance value

Propagation delay (delay line)

Differential propagation delay

Differential propagation delay, betweeen pairs

Phase value

Resistance value

Input impedance

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Thanks, Klaus, that helps.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser drivers and controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

I've had german in school (just like Klaus I assume) so it is easy for me to say, but I'm curious is it really that hard to guess what those german terms mean ?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Larkin was too busy shooting pee-cans to study German >:-} Being from the hillbilly state of West Virginia I was required to take at least one semester each of French, German and Spanish in Middle School. ...Jim Thompson

Where all you learned was how to say "where's the nearest pork barbecue res taurant?"

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Some are obvious from the units, like capacitance. Some are less clear.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

So translate, moron.

But pee-cans? Your excretory obsessions are showing again. And make up your mind: you have claimed that I never shot a .22 and now you claim I did it too much. Senile old git.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Klaus, I think you'd still pass German if you had to sit for the exam again.

Ok, here goes. Disclaimer: To the best of my knowledge but I have not used or spoken technical German since I got my degree. And that's a whole long time ago.

So if one of the other Germans could take a peek that would be nice. Klaus Bahner? Oh wait, I think he my have been in Denmark for too long. Maybe Uwe Hercksen?

So far so good, but this one means attenuation from input port to output port. "Vierpol" is usually translated as "two-port network".

Specific capacitance per unit length.

Usually all in them thar metric hunnerd meidahrs :-)

Inductance per unit length.

Group delay variation (between the various tested samples).

Group delay for a diff pair.

Phase change per unit length. This is a weird one, haven't heard it in decades.

Resistance per unit length.

Well, while writing this I received an email in Portuguese.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

in.

)

can always try

:P

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt
[...]

For colloquial stuff that's ok but otherwise those auto-translators are horrid. For example, for "Widerstandsbelag" it comes up with "resistance coating". Not sure where one would get that. Maybe at a paint store?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well, OK, you get a beer.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

restaurant?"

No, that's only taught in white trash schools, in big cities.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You've _NEVER_ heard it pronounced that way?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or from the Borg?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

-belag is used for values depending on the length of the cable. The unit length is here 100 m. Kapazitätsbelag : capacitance per 100 m length Induktivitätsbelag : inductance per 100 m length Widerstandsbelag : resitance per 100 m length Phasenbelag : phase change per 100 m length, depending on frequency

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

What's confusing to folks who don't know German too well is that "Belag" is also used for lots of other things. Plaque that accumulates on teeth, the ugly yellowish coating on a tongue, a road surface, toppings on a pizza, and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In New York and California boutique food stores, yes. Down south, we called them pah-cawns.

JT is obsessed with all things excretory. I guess that's what they learn at MIT.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

Interesting language, minimizes whitespace. That must make parsers harder to write.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

restaurant?"

Hi there, Fred. I have you plonked, so I had to back you out of a Terrell troll feed.

I hear you and Paul Schoen are now living together >:-}

BTW, village idiot, pork barbecue ISN'T a West Virginia kind of thing. We're more into venison. ...Jim Thompson