help with German

needed?

anditisanerrortonotwriteacompoundasoneword

That sure looks hard to read.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

That's pretty Lowe's, you know!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hey, is that what GC Electronics used to be called? Did not know that!

Their name changed in 1959, but I bet people kept using the old name for many years, just like I keep calling LG Electronics "Lucky Goldstar".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Some bottles with the old labels were still around shops in the '70s. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's right - we should have gone the way of dinosaurs aeons ago ...

The first Finnish example word 'epä ...' is a manufactured one and it does not exist in real life. The kWh meters do exist, and the word (kolmivaihevaihtovirtakilowattituntimittari) is on the label of each of them (millions).

--

Tauno Voipio
Helsinki, Finland

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

Dampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft does appear in a dictionary with the translation steam-ship company. Another example is Blinddarmentzündung = appendicitis. Bleistiftspitzer = pencil sharpener. All these examples are in my pocket dictionary.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Tauno Voipio schrieb:

Hello,

but we simply say here Drehstromzähler and three phase alternating current is just Drehstrom. Single phase alternating current is Wechselstrom. Direct current is Gleichstrom.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Bill Sloman schrieb:

Hello,

but the correct writing is Donaudampfschiffahrtskapitänsgemahlin.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

never heard of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch? It is a Welsh name for a village and a compound of 10 words with 58 characters together.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello again,

here is a record: Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

But there are some long words in English too:

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Michael A. Terrell schrieb:

Hello,

there is another compound, Widerstandsbeschichtung which fits better to resistance coating. But I think resistive coating is better?

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Belag"

teeth,

n a

ings too.

,

he

We have a city called "Middelfart", almost the same as MiddleFart :-)

/Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I don't know--I had a pint can of it that lasted me 20 years.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

rs are

istance

re?

he CRT is

ext -

Interesting, We use to paint it on the radiation baffles in low temperature probe pumping lines.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

What was that all about?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"resistance

I used to use a 2 Oz bottle every few years, touching up the coating on TV CRTs. Some of the stuff would peel on some brands of CRTs, which affected the picture quality. The glass of the CRT & the Aguadag coating on both sides of the glass was the filter cap for the HV supply. It was usually near where the outer layer was grounded.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

harder to

te

,

needed?

but it isn't a compound word, it is a sentence with no spaces

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

German and Finnish are like Lego. Everyone can start building stuff which is kind of nice. Most other languages including English do not allow this or else it'll be flagged as an error by the teacher. It almost takes an act of congress to combine words. Well, at least it has to be blessed by a major dictionary first. Things like "data sheet" -> "datasheet".

Most people say it even shorter, "Zaehler". Or at the most "Stromzaehler" which is essentially wrong but every German knows what it means (the thing that slurps increasing chunks of money out of your bank account).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

Aha! So "Stromzaehler" is the German word for "wife" ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

No, because after the marriage it's de facto becoming her account. No joke, if I run low on cash in my wallet my wife usually fills it back up. It's the same with most self-employed people I know.

Words can have many meanings. For example, "unter Strom stehen" has nothing to do with electricity or money. It means being throwed or sloshed from booze.