What does "Refurbished" mean?

Hello,

Some stores, including Fry's, sell Refurbished items. In general, what does refurbished mean? Does it mean that the item was repaired? Does it mean a customer returned it to the store? Thanks.

T.I.

Reply to
Talal Itani

At Fry's, it means that one or more people bought it and returned it, and they resealed the box, hoping that eventually somebody will buy it and fly off to Singapore, where it will be impossible for them to return it yet again.

John

does

The classic description of a 'field fix' from Fry's perspective.

I bought an Antec case an power supply from them but after building the system, the power supply was not always able to start up. I returned it only to be presented with their $7.00 power supply tester that called me a liar. The tester indicated the supply was good and their light duty test motherboard operated well. I got a swap from another case and this one has worked well for just over a year now.

Reply to
Lord Garth

In one visit to Fry's in Mountain View, I bought an HP inkjet printer and a box of floppies. The ink cartrige was installed in the printer and there was ink splattered all over everything. The floppies had Windows for Workgroups on them, all neatly labeled. On inspection, both had been opened and resealed.

If you buy from Fry's, inspect things carefully before you leave the parking lot.

And what's with the gorilla at the door who searches your bags as you leave? What happens if you just keep walking? Does he tackle you? Does he shoot you?

John

Before you get in the check out lane!

The 'Door Nazi' is not allowed to touch you. I have bypassed them on several occasions rather than wait in yet another line. I just ignore them and keep walking. They are not legally able to search the bag either.

The only door nazi that ever followed me was a rent a cop that worked at a Computer City here in Dallas. I was in line behind a handicapped individual that was in much the same condition as Christopher Reeves in that he had a wheelchair with a portable iron lung. The man was signing the check with his toes while I patiently waited some 30 minutes. The store never opened a second lane. Finally, when he was finished and driving his chair out, the door nazi, who was 6 feet away and watching the whole thing, challenged him to show his receipt. The man complied. I made my purchase, filed my receipt in my case and proceeded to the door when the door nazi asked to see my receipt. Seeing as how he had again been right there watching the whole transaction and it had now taken the better part of 45 minutes to buy one VGA extension cable, I answered him with, "What receipt? I have many in this case so be specific." mean while, I kept walking to my car. He followed me but never laid hands upon me.

Reply to
Lord Garth