help with German

From Wikipedia, and as I remember it from my days growing up in a Radio/TV repair shop....

"Tubes intended for television use normally have an aluminised interior which acts as a reflector on the back of the screen, and forms one plate of a capacitor. Aquadag is also painted on part of the outside of many tubes. The glass, tube, internal aluminium coating and the outer Aquadag then form a capacitor used to filter the high voltage EHT supply."

As I recall, painfully, failing to properly position the ground clip against the AquaDAG could result in a painful staic discharge. ...Jim Thompson

There's a hamlet in the Orkney, or maybe Shetland Islands, to the North of Scotland, called Twatt.

I guess it creates tourism, similar to Intercourse, PA.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

It's down to a diet of sausage and beer ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

ISTR "Hamburgelektrischestrassenbahnfahrkartenschaffner", supposed to mean "Hamburg Streetcar Ticket Collector". Was that genuine, or a hoax?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Isn't "DAG" a registered trade name of Union Carbide for colloidal graphite products?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

A really popular British street name is "No Through Road"

What really fazes Brits is "Do not drive off pavement". They call sidewalks pavements. That and "PED XING".

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I think "hosed" originated in WWII. Used by fighter pilots to describe spraying bullets at a target aircraft.

As in: "I got a 109 in my sights, and hosed him."

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

No idea, what people around here used to say in the years past, but in nowadays' Germany it sure looks as "hoaxy" as it can ...

Dimitrij

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

John Larkin wrote on 2012-12-11 23:00 MET:

Matching with

Attenuation-to-Crosstalk Ratio (ACR)

Power sum ACR (PSACR)

Equal-Level Far-End Crosstalk (ELFEXT)

Power Sum ELFEXT (PSELFEXT)

Insertion Loss (IL)

Input reflections

Return Loss (RL) ?

Probably see

See

for the following:

"The capacitance C between the two conductors is represented by a shunt capacitor C"

"The distributed inductance L (due to the magnetic field around the wires, self-inductance, etc.) is represented by a series inductor"

Propagation Delay

Delay Skew

Delay Skew (per pair)

Phase Shift Coefficient (beta)

DC Loop Resistance

structural return loss (SRL) -

Input impedance

--
MfG / Regards
Friedrich Lobenstock

Congratulations on the correct English use of the apostrophe. Many native English speakers get this wrong.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Fred Abse schrieb:

Hello,

it is bad German anyway. Streetcars are electric anyway, there is no need for the word elektrische. The town is called Hamburg, but when used in a compound, we write Hamburger or Hamburgische. Therefore "Hamburgerstrassenbahnfahrkartenschaffner" But a Schaffner has to sell tickets "Fahrkarten" anyway, we dont need Fahrkarten within the compound, therefore only "Hamburgerstrassenbahnschaffner". But nowadays the tickets are sold by automats, there are no Schaffner anymore.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Didn't they have horse-drawn ones in the early days, in Germany, before electric ones?

I can imagine the situation of an "Electric Streetcar Company" being named to draw attention (and investment) to its use of new technology. Hamburgerelektrischestrassenbahngesellschaft.

ISTR that Siemens and Halske were pioneers in electric traction.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse