great invention

th

equire more than normal intelligence). There are substances that you can in gest that make you stupider - ethanol comes to mind - but since the Romans gave up sweetening their wine with lead acetate, none of the ones that I'm aware of are laced with lead.

Really.

I've got a Ph.D., and couple of patents, and a couple of papers published i n peer-reviewed journals. Have you? None of these are particularly reliable metrics. The stuff you post here is probably a better guide, but you are t oo dim to be able to understand the extent to which you fall short of the g roup standard.

It may look that way to you, since you are a bit too dim to understand what 's actually going on.

I'm not a politician, and I do know it. My limited involvements in low leve l politics weren't disasters - they weren't great successes either, but nob ody involved was trying to achieve anything out of the ordinary.

Since leadership is a political business, I've not gone out of my way to se ek leading positions. I've been a project leader on a couple of projects, a nd that has worked out fairly well - I've known what I was doing and where the project was heading, and I managed to keep team well-informed about wha t was going on, largely by the dint of circulating my weekly reports to my bosses to the people I was supervising. It constrains what you put in the w eekly reports, and the way you present it, but it did seem to be good for g roup morale.

nary > club.

I've corrected what you wrote to what you may have intended to say. When I' ve been proved wrong here, I've been happy to admit it - search for posts b y me including the word "oops". It doesn't happen often, but if you'd been paying attention, you would have noticed when it did. I do have a fan club around here - it's not big, and it's not all that enthusiastic. They do thi nk I waste too much time being rude to the likes of you, and they are right .

Over-analysis is a waste of time. You seem to be guilty of the opposite fau lt, and don't understand enough to realise that a certain amount of analysi s can be useful to people bright enough to know what they are doing.

If you had the wit to understand what I post, you might realise that I use the internet for support, rather than illumination. I know what I've learne d from experience over the years, and I can usually find an internet citati on to put the idea across reasonably crisply.

Your problem is that you can't process complicated ideas, no matter how con cisely they are presented. I'm actually fairly good at concise expression, but you aren't equipped to appreciate this.

My job title at Cambridge Instruments was "principal engineer" which always struck me as odd. I spent a lot of my time supervising other engineers, an d trying to educate them in the process - with some success.

I did get one patent when I was there, which would have been unexpected in a janitor.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

e:

I may not be entirely sane, but I'm not silly enough to buy any kind of spo rts car - the insurance rates on sports cars are astronomical - and I've ce rtainly never bought a convertible. My wife did have a sporty car at one st age - a bright yellow Seat Leon (essentially a tweaked Volkwagen Golf made in Spain with more attractive bodywork than the Germans ever managed) and t hat was nice to drive - but I like cars where you can fit bulky loads into the back if you need to.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not even approaching...

I bought my wife bought a red Mustang convertible last year. She wanted one the minute we decided to move South. It really is fun to drive. Better when it's warmer.

That's why I drive a pickup (same color). Few cars can take 12' sheetrock home from the BORG.

Reply to
krw

I fool most of the people, most of the time, but krw is clever enough to see right through me.

My wife buys her own cars. She certainly earns more than I do (and has done since about 1990 when she made professor-equivalent), and she's equally well-off.

Something lighter and with better suspension might be even more fun, but would probably upset the neighbours.

A red car is generally estimated to be travelling 10 mph faster than it's actual speed. More conservative colours tend to be perceived as travelling more slowly than they actually are.

It probably doesn't matter to krw, he can't think fast enough to be able to drive fast.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ways struck me as odd. I spent a lot of my time supervising other engineers , and trying to educate them in the process - with some success.

in a janitor.

No. I just say you are dumber.

That's your perception. You really shouldn't rely on your perceptions. They aren't any more reliable than your grammar.

The problem we had to deal with was that of unblanking an electron beam for 0.5nsec.

The beam energy could be anything from 15kV to 500V and blanking plates tha t were long enough to blank the beam at 15kV were long enough to have an el ectron transit time longer than 0.5nsec at 500V.

I solved the problem by making the blanking plates as two parallel copper 1 mm diameter wires, mounted 0.5mm apart. For work at 15kV they sat on either side of the beam, oriented parallel to the beam, so the beam saw their ful l 18mm length.

For work at intermediate voltages, we rotated them with respect to the beam direction so that the deflecting region got progressively shorter. At 500e V the two wires were at right-angles to the beam, and the length of the def lecting region was defined by their 1.5mm centre-to-centre spacing, closer to 3mm.

The 15kV beam energy requirement came from people who wanted to do EBIC tes ting - electron beam induced current - which turned out to be a bad idea, s o it got dumped on the next machine...

You presumably haven't run into that kind of problem yet. Or maybe failed t o recognise it as a problem when you did

You and the rest of the organisation you work for, as we all have.

So little that you can't find it. My father was named as inventor on 25 pat ents, so I may be a bit more interested in them than is entirely sensible.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You quote me as being inferior compared to you? If that being true, that would put me at the bottom of the abyss, cause you're not to swift yourself.

I just read the details of that patent and I am scathing my head trying to figure out where you contributed any thing of value?

I work with accelerators a lot so that is most likely why it doesn't pop my cork.

btw, I've made stuff that people have actually bought. I too, have my name floating in a patent. Does not mean jack to me.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

No, Slowman. You *are* a fool. People laugh at fools.

Of course. She wears the pants. You wear Obama's mom-jeans, backwards.

Your neighbors? Probably.

Bullshit.

You can't.

Reply to
krw

tt.bizz

see right through me.

Being a fool is a role, not a condition. Court jesters put on foolishness t o amuse their employers, and I'm not too proud to post absurd propositions to get laughs - as above.

You, on the other hand, are too stupid to appreciate the subtleties of that kind of interaction.

would probably upset the neighbours.

Probably not. There's an outrageously low-slung bright-red mid-engined spor ts car in the basement of our building at the moment - it's there because o ne of the neighbours (who built it some years ago) is now tidying it up - b ut it has attracted favourable comment from every one of the neighbours wit h whom I've talk about it.

s actual speed. More conservative colours tend to be perceived as travellin g more slowly than they actually are.

Fact. I'd find the reference if I thought that mere evidence could change y our mind.

to drive fast.

How would you know? There were roads in Europe where I could - and did - le gally drive at 160 kmph - roughly 100 miles per hour. I've even got two spe eding tickets for driving at 140 kmph on motorways where the limit was 120 kmph - it was late and the roads were empty, but radar cameras don't care a bout that. This isn't fast by European standards, but Americans do tend to drive more slowly than that, as they should, granting the weaknesses of Ame rican cars.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Mar 2014 19:33:46 -0400) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

You are lying :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You've got to pay royalties to krw for using that line, even in jest, though you may find it difficult to ingest this.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On a sunny day (Mon, 31 Mar 2014 01:02:45 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Bill Sloman wrote in :

Billy the Housewife, you must have noticed, even in your upside down condition, that it took _one_ line to make fun, for both krw and me. You OTOH (look up what that means) need pages full of self-promoting shit (let's say simple engEneering for an obvious deflection solution where you payed or your clueless peers did for a patent), well the way I understand your scribblings is that you have your wife work for you, and even surf on her academic or semi-academic status, you know sex (if you ever made it that far) does not transfer title or knowledge, as your designs clearly show. So you are inefficient at that and your postings are boring beyond belief, to the point where after having to work through an other few of those this morning I seriously had thought about the Usenet filters I did design into this news reader, so as to activate those. For God's sake build something, even something trivial as a crystal radio or a LED light, take a pictjure, show it here. Does not matter if it is upside down, my viewer car rotate pictjures. Else please post to alt.ego.manics.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Oh, well.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Require him to say something out loud to a speech recognition thing, so it has to be a proper response to a question, then squirt him with a water gun if he fails.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

And Bluetooth can be disabled.

How hard would it be to make something like a primitive ILS (as it was in the 1930's) to tell the phone which side of the car it's on?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

There's little doubt we're in a dramatic decline, both economically, and in world standing. We're mired in an Obamacare economy, class-warfare divided; we've lost our place. And Barack has larded obligations we can never possibly pay, on top of a debt that was already never going to be paid either.

Meanwhile Putin takes Ukraine, a country that disarmed under our promise of mutual defense.

But, there's good news. I was able to switch GPS "off" on a phone I tried.

So, we've got that going for us.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Nope. Just pointing out your sloppiness. You don't read your own posts but whine at others'.

Reply to
krw

gain. I measured the currents of the various modes while waiting for a new battery, and it makes a HUGE difference if GPS is on or off.

t GPS module powered).

James Arthur is sufficiently in touch with reality to realise that the US i s in trouble. His right-wing take on why it's in trouble ignores the most o bvious indicator of what's wrong - the US Gini-index at 0.45 is almost as h igh as Communist China's (at 0.47) and well above post-Communist Russia (at 0.403).

More egalitarian nations - mainly in Scandinavia - have Gini-indices around 0.25.

Germany combines an outstanding economy with a Gini-index of 0.283, and mos t advanced industrial countries sit around 0.3.

Essentially, the US isn't investing enough in the health and education of i t's working class, in part because it has out-sourced a lot of their work t o China.

The Chinese are spending like fury on educating and training their work for ce, so that their services will become more valuable, to be sold at higher price.

The US approach is to leave the poor under-educated and ill-trained, and to put lots of them into expensive prisons if any residual entrepreneurial ta lent manifests itself in trying to supply services that have been outsource d to the Mafia.

This isn't a great way to run a country, but the founding tax evaders set u p a government that serves the people who own the country, and they are doi ng fine, as can be seen from the US Gini-index.

Putin actually snatched just the Crimean Peninsula back from the Ukraine - the Crimean Peninsula was already crawling with Russian military bases (as it has been pretty much since Russia expanded down to the Black Sea). The U kraine never had enough money to buy any significant defense in the first p lace, so claiming that they disarmed on the basis of a US promise of mutual defense is a trifle disingenuous.

But krw won't believe you, and will tell us that you are lying...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

re

is in trouble. His right-wing take on why it's in trouble ignores the most obvious indicator of what's wrong - the US Gini-index at 0.45 is almost as high as Communist China's (at 0.47) and well above post-Communist Russia ( at 0.403).

What you're noticing is that we've got too many super-successful people and a large cohort such as yourself made comfortable on benefits, and your solution is to make the dole more attractive and discourage success.

nd 0.25.

ost advanced industrial countries sit around 0.3.

Cherry-picking works very conveniently better than EU average, doesn't it now? Shall we cherry-pick states too?

it's working class, in part because it has out-sourced a lot of their work to China.

That's a load of garbage. Since the progressives took hold with Johnson's Great Society we've doubled spending on education[1], doubled spending on the dole, so you're simply spouting garbage. And all the problems that was supposed to solve are unsolved or worse.

[1] state-by-state graphs:

orce, so that their services will become more valuable, to be sold at highe r price.

to put lots of them into expensive prisons if any residual entrepreneurial talent manifests itself in trying to supply services that have been outsour ced to the Mafia.

Repeatedly debunked, but you keep repeating this whopper.

up a government that serves the people who own the country, and they are d oing fine, as can be seen from the US Gini-index.

- the Crimean Peninsula was already crawling with Russian military bases (a s it has been pretty much since Russia expanded down to the Black Sea). The Ukraine never had enough money to buy any significant defense in the first place, so claiming that they disarmed on the basis of a US promise of mutu al defense is a trifle disingenuous.

You speak with the confident authority of complete ignorance.

"A tripartite U.S.-Russian-Ukrainian declaration, signed in January 1994, c ommitted Ukraine to removing all former Soviet nuclear weapons from its ter ritory."

You can read the text of our pledge to defend Ukraine here,

printMode=true

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

so that driver leans over the passenger seat to make a call...

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

eral law.

and in world standing. We're mired in an Obamacare economy, class-warfare d ivided; we've lost our place. And Barack has larded obligations we can neve r possibly pay, on top of a debt that was already never going to be paid e ither.

US is in trouble. His right-wing take on why it's in trouble ignores the mo st obvious indicator of what's wrong - the US Gini-index at 0.45 is almost as high as Communist China's (at 0.47) and well above post-Communist Russia (at 0.403).

I'm retired, and don't get any benefits. I do get a UK old-age-pension, for which I paid "national insurance" contributions when I was living and work ing in the UK, and for twelve years after I'd left and was living and working in t he Netherlands, so that while I lived and worked in the UK for 22 years, my old-age pension is based on 34 years of contributions. It pays out a littl e bit more than my UK employment-related pension, which is only based on th e 22 years that I worked in the UK, and in fact largely reflects the better

-paid part of that time.

My solution doesn't involve making the dole attractive - merely adequate, i n the sense of paying enough to keep the unemployed and their children heal thy enough to be able to do useful work if any of your venture capitalists can come up with something for them to do. It also involves spending enough on education and training to keep the unemployed employable.

You seem to find this an immoral indulgence, but I find your approach to be scandalously wasteful of human capital.

ound 0.25.

most advanced industrial countries sit around 0.3.

The EU average lumps together a lot of vary different countries with very d ifferent histories and social policies. The various US states do differ, bu t nowhere near as much. The fact that you haven't bothered to dig out state

-by-state Gini-indices is a fairly clear indicator that this is one of your half-baked rhetorical devices rather than any kind of real argument.

of it's working class, in part because it has out-sourced a lot of their wo rk to China.

There's a flaw in that paper - right on the first page ""Total cost" is the full amount spent on the K-12 education of a student graduating in the giv en year, adjusted for inflation. In 1970, the amount was $56,903; in 2010, the amount was $164,426".

Nowadays about 85% of the population complete high school education. Back i n 1970 about 50% of students had completed a K-12 education by the time th ey were 25.

es_2009.png

The implication of those graphs is that many of those that did, did it at n ight school, as adults. The extra cost of getting the extra 35% all the way through high school before they went off to work seems to have been consid erable. In 1970 those that did complete high school at age 18 were those wh o were doing well - and thus relatively easy (and cheap) to teach.

What you - and the famously right-wing Cato Institute - want to paint as mo dern waste looks much more like the extra cost of doing the job right.

You weren't spending anything like enough back in 1970. You still aren't sp ending enough, even if you are spending quite a bit more. And the "total co st" is still the average cost of completing a K-12 education, averaged over a a very unequal education system, so it makes a virtue of spending too mu ch on educating rich kids children in extravagantly funded schools in afflu ent districts, and neglects the inadequate spending on poorer kids living i n areas where the property taxes can't properly fund the schools.

force, so that their services will become more valuable, to be sold at hig her price.

d to put lots of them into expensive prisons if any residual entrepreneuria l talent manifests itself in trying to supply services that have been outso urced to the Mafia.

You've never debunked it. You've just hidden behind a smoke screen of duff statistics and American exceptionalism.

et up a government that serves the people who own the country, and they are doing fine, as can be seen from the US Gini-index.

ise of mutual defense.

e - the Crimean Peninsula was already crawling with Russian military bases (as it has been pretty much since Russia expanded down to the Black Sea). T he Ukraine never had enough money to buy any significant defense in the fir st place, so claiming that they disarmed on the basis of a US promise of mu tual defense is a trifle disingenuous.

Not so completely ignorant as your confusion of the Crimea with the whole o f the Ukraine - though granting your persistent enthusiasm for disingenuous mistakes, I may be giving you more credit than your deserve in attributing the mistake to ignorance.

committed Ukraine to removing all former Soviet nuclear weapons from its t erritory."

t?printMode=true

It's all about getting rid of nuclear weapons. I can't see it as anything m ore. The only defense commitment is conditional on the attacker using nucle ar weapons.

"if Ukraine should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear weapons are used;"

Since the weapon that the Russians deployed was a decidedly non-nuclear loc al referendum, you are indulging in your usual habit of posting irrelevant material and making false claims about what it means.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to