great invention

Perhaps not. Passengers in cars, and trains might object. These days you can even use a mobile phone on a plane except when it is taking off or landing.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

A soothing female voice maybe? Of course, that can also scare the daylights out of the driver if it sounds too much like his wife's voice and he's got his girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat ...

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah well, kind of hard to executed a corpse.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Nope. Make the little farts sit quietly in their seats >:-} ...Jim Thompson

That's an easy solution... most of these modern phones have GPS... in motion... no text... problem solved. ...Jim Thompson

Modern military jets use a sexy female voice for alarms... quick attention ;-) ...Jim Thompson

There are times when I want to be out of touch, not staring at a screen, not answering emails, looking out at the world. Who needs a calculator, or dropbox, on a hiking trail?

The point of this thread is that people are walking, driving, bicycling, with a phone in their face, crashing into things. A couple of times a week, I almost run into some droid on the sidewalk, or kill a pedestrian who is texting in the middle of the street.

People go to restaurants, put their glowing phones on the table next to their plates, and ignore one another.

This isn't healthy. Especially for kids.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Don't hold back Jan, sometimes you are a bit too reserved. :^) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Do you suggest that passengers in cars, buses and trains, for example, be disallowed the use of their device?

Reply to
RosemontCrest

I've walked around my whole life with my nose stuck in a book. You get good at catching yourself when you stub into something. Yeah, no reading in the street's... cars are dangerous.

Hmm well at restaurants I only read if I'm alone.

Grin, If my kids won't put their devices away I take 'em. (that won't work for much longer..)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There is that critical moment in life when you realize that your kid is big enough to hurt you.

In my life, I'm coming up on the point where I work for my kid.

Precision electronic instrumentation

...or worse, verse visa.

Steering shakers or some sort of such haptics (think rumble strips) would seem to be an idea worth pursuing. Lane departure warnings tend to be just beeps.

Reply to
krw

So don't look.

That's no reason to avoid them yourself. ...or perhaps you know you'll get hooked too.

Sometimes. We just got back from pizza. During the conversation we were wondering if there were any movies to go to this weekend (it's nice that the young folks subsidize the movie tickets of those who make much more money than they do ;-). I just pulled my phone out of my pocket and hit the Fandango app. Thirty seconds later, we were back discussing whatever, with the phone in my pocket.

Neither is alcohol (or a thousand other things that tight-asses don't like). That doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Reply to
krw

They do ban phone use. It is annoying.

Reply to
krw

Maybe rednecks don't text? Or can't text without moving their lips?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

To whom do you refer as "they" and on what form of conveyance? I do not ban the use of such devices by passengers in my private vehicles.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Public transportation, primarily airlines.

Does your "private vehicle" include buses and trains?

Reply to
krw

Airlines are the only form of public transportation of which I am aware that restrict the use of such devices, but I admit that it has been many years since I have ridden a train. Metro buses have no such restriction.

No, but I know of no such restriction on buses and trains. Do you?

Remember that I responded to Artemus' suggestion that the device turn off if it detects motion with no apparent distinction of whether the user is simply a passenger along for the ride.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

On a sunny day (Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:50:17 -0400) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

Things that 'everybody wants' are not always right, look at religions, touchscreens are in the same league.

You gotta give it to Jobs, he is^H^H was one of the few crooked sales persons who could sell you less for more, sell a computer without a keyboard for more.

Would clicking with my fingers end the mass hypnosis of millions if not zillions?

Did no recognize the gesture, Apple needs to work on that one, patent it.. LOL Maybe it should self-destruct if it detected that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:47:24 -0500) it happened "Maynard A. Philbrook Jr." wrote in :

Could write something appropriate on the tomb stone. Wonder if it has a touch screen.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje