great invention

On a sunny day (Sat, 29 Mar 2014 12:00:33 -0400) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

sigh, GPS is them little Sputniks up there, you know, maybe you are con-fusing [it] with location by cell[phone tower].

There is actually a little icon(you know what an icon is right? OK maybe not, a little pict-j-ure), on the display top, shows a dish with moving rays, whenever GPS is enabled. Hope this helps. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, I'm not confusing anything. You *are* making shit up, though.

Wrong. Read the documentation. This only disables *your* use of the GPS receiver. It goes on, whatever you do (short of turning off the whole unit).

Reply to
krw

I wouldn't know; I don't ride metro buses. Apparently, you ride them often enough to form an opinion of the riders.

I note that the following citations you provide refer only to trains or non-metro buses.

Non-sequitur. Cite the policy that prohibits cell phone use on all cars of Amtrak trains. The woman was not cited for violating a prohibition of the use of cell phones while being a passenger on a train. She was cited for disorderly conduct after being a public nuisance for 16 hours while riding in the "quiet car" of the train. She chose to ride in that car and violated the policy; too bad for her. Do you honestly believe that she would have been cited if she had simply been quietly sending and receiving text messages for 16 hours?

Multiple references to the same incident don't count. See above.

From the article in reference to Concord Coachlines:

"there?s free WiFi" and "Cell phone use is prohibited except for emergencies and quick calls." There appears to be no blanket prohibition of the use of cell phones.

I find no reference in the article that states that the Amtrak Downeaster prohibits the use of cell phones.

From the article:

"While the Quiet Car is not an atmosphere of complete silence, those seated in this special car are asked to follow a few simple guidelines.

  • Refrain from cell phone use
  • Keep pagers, cell phones, laptop and PDA sounds off"

and...

"Please don?t use cellphones while in the Quiet Car. If you must leave your cellphone on, switch it to the vibrate function so that its ring won?t disturb others.

Kindly move to another car if you must make or take an incoming call."

It appears, again, that there is no blanket prohibition of the use of cell phones while riding on Amtrak trains. Do you honestly believe that quietly sending and receiving text messages while riding in the "quiet car" would violate the policy or disturb other passengers?

If you are referring to posts within this thread, I have. I have yet to read any rational justification for disabling a cell phone or other device simply because it detects motion.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Perhaps you have to shoot yourself to know that it's not a good idea but most can learn from others' mistakes.

No problem. When you lose an argument, the choice is to concede or move the goal post. It's clear which camp you're in.

Rent a brain. No one said it they were banned everywhere. You asked for examples of where they were. I complied. You attempt to alter the field. No problem. We now know how honest you are.

Same argument. It's an example of what you claim didn't exist. IOW, you lose.

With those exceptions, they're banned. You can't even understand what you've parroted.

They're banned. Another example of where you're wrong.

Again, it appears you can't even read.

You don't even understand what *YOU* wrote.

Reply to
krw

snip

The solution is simple: Make drivers wear one of those plastic collars that vets make dogs wear so they cant bite themselves. That way the drivers can't text or phone.

haiticare2011

...or turn to look at a blind spot, or perhaps even look in mirror. They will still be able to text though, albeit in a somewhat less comfortable position. Don't give lawmakers any ideas. They already have enough bad ones.

Reply to
krw

google

turn off cell phone gps

The call-tower based triangulation stuff, required for 911 location, always works.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Recall that Artemus wrote: "An even better solution would be to have the device turn off for 5 minutes if it detected it's use while in motion."

My reply to Artemus is: "Do you suggest that passengers in cars, buses and trains, for example, be disallowed the use of their device?"

You replied with the erroneous claim that "They do ban phone use." I acknowledged that airlines do restrict the use of cell phones.

None of the citations you provided dispute my argument that there is no rational justification to disable a cell phone or other device simply because it detects motion.

Well, without qualification, you did:

"They do ban phone use. It is annoying."

"Public transportation, primarily airlines."

You provided only specific examples of policy for certain cars on trains where passengers are asked to refrain from the use of cell phones. You did not provide any examples of outright bans of the use of cell phones on trains, or buses for that matter.

My argument remains that there is no rational justification to disable a cell phone or other device simply because it detects motion.

Please provide a citation that supports your claim.

There is no blanket ban of the use of cell phones or other devices for the purpose of sending and receiving text messages or other uses of "free WiFi" provided on the buses. If Concord Coachlines does not want passengers to use WiFi, they would not provide it.

No, the use of cell phones is not banned.

The word "refrain" does not mean "banned."

Note the use of the words "sounds off." That simply means to keep them quiet. It does not mean that you can't quietly send and receive text messages.

It appears to me that you do not understand policy or the difference between making voice calls on a cell phone and quietly sending and receiving text messages.

Correction: You do not understand what I wrote.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Yep, krw is wrong.

Now lets see if he can admit it. Just this once. Can he do it? The world awaits.

Never know, first time for everything :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Hangs Firefox.

Reply to
krw

I don't give a crap what others wrote. I responded to you.

Which they do, which I've shown and you've admitted.

I said nothing of the kind. I said they *DO* restrict passenger cell phone usage (airlines are included in "they").

You simply are incapable of reading. "They do (ban phone use)" doesn't imply that it's forbidden everywhere. There are, in fact, bans on their use on public transportation.

Policies banning them on public transportation, yes. That's exactly what you asked for.

*YOUR* opinion doesn't change the facts, as they stand. I said nothing about "because it detects motion". I simply stated the fact that they are being banned.

I have. You're too damned stupid to even read what *you've* written. You've admitted that I'm right but continue to drone on claiming I said something that I didn't.

Show me where I said there is a blanket ban. You must be a lefty.

You're wrong, and have even admitted it. You better check your brain. You're a few quarts low.

And if you don't you're shown the door, as other links suggested. Sounds like a ban to me but you're welcome to uproot more goalposts.

Show me where I said anything about "text messages". You're lying again.

With "logic" like that, you *must* be a lefty.

I certainly do! It's tough to follow a liar, like you, though.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sat, 29 Mar 2014 13:08:06 -0400) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

Look dude, I measured it, get over it, you are clueless idiot. Get an amp meter and lab supply, see the power difference with GPS off (that you now admit can be switched off). And did you know it sometimes takes ages for GPS to lock? Now that would not happen if it was 'always on', So learn something, or go pay taxes. A LOT of taxes, pay the man 0bama

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Quoting the GS450h Owner's manual (GS450h_U (OM30D01U)), page 252:

If the system judges that the vehicle may deviate from its lane, it alerts the driver using beeping, screen displays and a sensory warning* given via the steering wheel.

*: A slight steering torque is applied for a short period of time in the direction of the center of the lane.
--

-TV
Reply to

Didn't know about the steering wheel. I've only been a passenger. Thanks.

So it auto-steers. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Then you failed to respond to my original argument that there is no rational justification to disable a cell phone or other device simply because it detects motion.

Again, the word "refrain" does not mean "banned." It is simply a request based upon policy. It is not a ban of cell phone use on Amtrack trains.

You didn't; I did. My argument remains that there is no rational justification to disable a cell phone or other device simply because it detects motion; that includes quietly sending and receiving text messages. You are welcome to argue against my position.

Again, my argument remains that there is no rational justification to disable a cell phone or other device simply because it detects motion; that includes quietly sending and receiving text messages. You are welcome to argue against my position.

After reading many posts by others in this thread that identify you as someone who does not understand what you post, it is apparent to me that continued discussion with you is pointless.

It appears to me that you are more interested in claiming to be correct regardless of whether you address the question posed than to engage in meaningful conversation.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Maybe the pols need even more ridiculous ones, for our entertainment. Did you know they had a bill in Congress at one time to make Pi an even 3? j

Reply to
haiticare2011

And on my - very old Mio 701A mobile phone - it's the same. It flattens the battery tolerably rapidly when you turn it on.More modern GPS receivers are touted as being less greedy of current.

He's certainly not wrong about my phone.

Krw seems to have missed the point that different phones have different documentation.

That was a change in the rules, introduced after I bought my phone. The requirement can be satisfied by triangulation with the cell-phone towers defining the local cell - the requirement was for location rather than specifically GPS location.

Maybe for krw's phone.Certainly not true for my mobile phone.

krw in his "I'm right and everybody else is lying" mode.

GPS. It can't be.

krw has misunderstood the situation again, and is - as usual - impervious to the idea that he could ever get anything wrong.

krw is - perfectly obviously - confused, and in denial.

krw seems to be confusing the way he thinks his phone works with the way in which Jan's mobile phone and my mobile phone work, and lacks the mental flexibility to realise that not all mobile phones are identical.

Not my copy of Firefox. On the other hand, it doesn't directly make the point that Jan wants to make.

is more informative, and does support Jan's opinion.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Just because Your Highness makes a statement doesn't mean I have to respond to it. No matter how much you want to may YOU the issue, you aren't. The issue I was responding to was the restriction of cell phone usage.

"If you don't comply, you walk" sure sounds like a ban.

So you admit that you believe everything must be about YOU. I said nothing about this, yet you constantly try to argue the point.

...again, you can shift the goal posts as much as you want. It doesn't win any arguments. I said nothing about whether you think it's rational or not. I really don't care about your opinion on the matter.

You're projecting, again. I understand what I wrote perfectly. I can even understand what you've written. The same cannot be said about you.

No, you gave up an hope of a "meaningful conversation" when you started lying, long ago. Your illiteracy doesn't help.

Reply to
krw

The Democrats tried that with Obamacare. It's not funny.

You don't need to make stuff up to prove that congresscritters are nuts.

krw

krw is wrong, as usual. If he had a clue, he'd be lying, but since he doesn't he's just being his obtuse self.

Anybody who disagrees with krw is - in krw's eyes - a "liar". If they don't share his imperfect language comprehension, they are "literate" too.

It would be funny, if it wasn't so deadly boring and repetitive.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to