great invention

Sigh. I should know better than to argue with an idiot. I endeavor to not allow the same to occur during the future.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

It might be a Europe/USSA thing. GPS is required in the US by federal law. Dunno if they let you disable it...

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Bonus: also prevents drivers from biting themselves.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

n.

ttery, and it makes a HUGE difference if GPS is on or off.

PS module powered).

Location data is required to be available to be added to any - 911 - call f rom a mobile phone to the emergency services. There may be a requirement th at GPS must be available as a back-up if the cell-transmission tower triang ulation location data is inadequate. I can't imagine that there's a require ment that the GPS must be "on" all the time.

--

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 19:43:03 -0700 in sci.electronics.design, Jeff Liebermann wrote,

In the news lately, an app for an alcoholic's smartphone to sound an alarm if he goes too near a bar. Like the problem was being near a bar and *not* knowing it.

Reply to
David Harmon

The problem is that krw is less obviously idiotic than - say - Jamie. His g rammar and spelling are fine, but his world-picture is curiously simplified , on the basis the he (krw) is always right and that anybody who disagrees with him must know that their opinion is false, so they have to be lying. O nly an idiot could think that, but krw is a curiously high-functioning idio t (if his claims about what he does are to be relied on, which might be unw ise).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, you have learned a very valuable lesson, grass hopper!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

On a sunny day (Sat, 29 Mar 2014 16:51:58 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Bill Sloman wrote in :

Thank Bill. Not so much an opinion, as reality, and this is a recent HTC (with a real keyboard): Pictures!

This is the menu option under 'location' in setup to switch GPS on and off:

Here I have switched it off:

Note the battery usage and clear sky requirement warning!

These show two GPS apps I use:

This is what you see when you start one of these apps with GPS set to off:

Note the absence of the litthe dish like icon on the top bar whan GPS is off

And here I started the app and it is waiting for GPS lock:

Note the dish like symbol on teh top bar shoing GPSis now on...

And this is a pic-tjure of 0bama that krw is paying his taxes too:

Laughing 519.jpg?1368977192

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 29 Mar 2014 20:42:19 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Well, clearly if tha tis so te hUS is near its end.

Hammer?

See my reply to Sloman for pictures.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 29 Mar 2014 20:46:20 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

But in a convertable if it rains thw driver may drawn

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Stupid invention ever. I would expect from Apple engineers to come with something better and simpler such as an app that detects speed and disables texting accordingly.

Reply to
asdf

is grammar and spelling are fine, but his world-picture is curiously simpli fied, on the basis the he (krw) is always right and that anybody who disagr ees with him must know that their opinion is false, so they have to be lyin g. Only an idiot could think that, but krw is a curiously high-functioning idiot (if his claims about what he does are to be relied on, which might be unwise).

I wonder what Jamie though he was saying there. I'm not accusing anybody of anything - being stupid isn't a crime, and you don't accuse people of bein g stupid. You just point out that whatever it was they've done - calling ev erybody you disagree with "a liar" in krw's case - is stupid, and leave it at that.

Since you don't seem to be able to enunciate any coherent train of thought, your idea of what might constitute a dysfunctional train of thought can't be taken all that seriously.

And don't flatter yourself with the idea that I'm bickering with you. I'm j eering at you - not so much responding to your posts as taking advantage of the inane things that you post to concoct new ways of being rude about you r inadequacies.

My condition is being quite a bit smarter than you are (which doesn't requi re more than normal intelligence). There are substances that you can ingest that make you stupider - ethanol comes to mind - but since the Romans gave up sweetening their wine with lead acetate, none of the ones that I'm awar e of are laced with lead.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I am fully convinced that you make these accusations with your personal life experiences, as meaningless as they are.

It's evident your constant bickering of how others think and behave mirrors your dysfunctional train of thought.

They have pills for people with your condition, they may be laced with lead, but that's what you get for government sponsored programs!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

That bar-finder app could actually be quite handy. Suppose you were, for example, new to an area, an alcoholic, and in desperate need of a bar.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Sounds like something Slowman would do. No sane person would drive with the top dawn in the rain.

Reply to
krw

My Austin-Healey Sprite was fun to drive top-down in the rain, as long as you kept over about 30 MPH. You'd likely get wetter by stopping and trying to get the ragtop up, quite a process. But I never claimed to be sane.

It was a barbaric machine, even brand new, but it was fun.

Precision electronic instrumentation

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Mar 2014 12:30:13 -0400) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

At dawn?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Smarter, really?

I suppose using your metrics you would suggest that.

If seems you live in a world of your own, you even have your own set of standards to measure by, of-course no one can figure them out because you're always switching sides.

Too bad you never became a politician, or maybe you tried and failed? or maybe a leader of a group? Either way, It must of been a disaster. No surprise if that being the cast, you wouldn't admit defeat in the presents of who you think is your fan club! Maybe the imaginary club.

You must be a real party popper, the one that sits in the corner over analyzing every thing that passes by and getting it wrong!

If you want to impress some one, try showing your work and not being an Internet copy & paste junkie..

Since you're so keen on the idea, this fits you;

I know you keep harping on Cambridge but I seriously think that maybe you were the janitor there? People tend to pick up clues by watching real engineers at work.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz

Larkin

the invention

capacitance

that plus some at the same time.

conductive foam,

on the table or is pointed downwards..

persons who could sell you less for more,

zillions?

it..

I don't know if they could get clean rights, figure 1 originated with DEC VAX VMS, now either OpenVMS or HP-Compaq.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

A convertable?