Goosing a solenoid??

Dave --

has a program called AACircuit that about half of this group uses to draw ASCII circuits. Makes life all kinds of easier.

Conversely, if you just Google for AACircuit instead you'll get the same link to the homepage, but also the ability to translate it out of German if you're linguistically challenged like me.

Reply to
Rob Gaddi

Not wet, but that would be true only if you really need to keep full rated voltage across them for more than a few seconds. Once the solenoid armature has come into position, you may well be able to hold it there with far less than 12 V. The spec may tell you. It depends on whether what the solenoid moves applies a restoring force. If there isn't much of a 'push-back' force, you might need only 3 or 4 V to hold position. That would cut the power down a lot.

2 W and 12 V is 144/2 = 72 ohms. 3 V/72 ohms is 42 mA. 48 V times 42 mA is 2 W total for solenoid PLUS resistor.
\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

"Don A. Gilmore" schreef in bericht news:Czdee.37826$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...

solenoids

then

must

Is is possible to connect it to 48V only, and switch from initial 100% duty cycle to something much lower duty cycle PWM, to drop to a current that is equal to 12V/Rsolenoid?

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

I had exactly that problem when automating a tape deck system (and it used exactly those same voltages).

Charge a large capacitor to 48 volts through a resistor selected to give sufficiently fast recharge but not so low as to dissipate large amounts of power when the solenoid is on.

Feed the top of the solenoid from the +ve of the capacitor and from the

+12v supply through a diode (anode to 12v, cathode to solenoid). Switch the bottom of the solenoid to ground by means of relay contacts (or a transistor able to cope with the maximum V and I)
--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Don't forget Mr. Diode:

D1 ------! ! !

D1 keeps the voltage from spiking up to a huge value when the switch turns off. Connecting it as shown causes the 36 or so volts on C1 to be the limit on the spike on the coil.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Car fuel injectors are also pulsed to get them open quickly.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I couldn't get the link to work, John. But you have piqued my curiosity.

Don Kansas City

Reply to
Don A. Gilmore

The schematic has a gross error.

...Jim Thompson

If you don't, and you want to cut the wasted power to essentially
zero, you might want to try something like this:

Reply to
John Fields

Can't you just add one more diode (D2 connected to +12V)? Then R can be made as large as possible, limited only by desired recovery time, and the resistor dissipation drops way down.....

D2 +----|

It's on alt.binaries.schematics.electronic under "Goosing a solenoid
(from sed)".
Reply to
John Fields

Wouldn't that kind of depend on how good your +12 supply is at sinking reverse current?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
Then post what it is.
Reply to

Aaaarghhh! Found it and fixed it. Thanks, Speff. :-)

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

As it's shown it turns off faster, but the recycle time is slower... so pick your druthers ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Faithfully repeated in the next version.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

can

time,

0V

sinking

Why? Provided C charges slowly, which it will, at release time the coil's supply node will be at 12v minus D2's drop. The flyback voltage seen by the driver then will be 12V-Vf(D2), plus D1's forward drop, or 12v.

Jim Thompson's arrangement turns the coil off faster. Recycle time isn't much different -- clamping by D2 prevents reverse-charging of C, so that node stays near 12v during flyback for both circuits.

Regards, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat
[snip]

Interesting pseudonym. The original "Dagmar" was a couple of years ahead of me in high school. The Egnor family barbershop... always good for an illegal poker game ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That will likely lead to the destruction of the switching device when
the field around the coil collapses.
Reply to
John Fields

--