Facial hair

No, they got rid of milkmen in the civilized world fifty years ago.

The story is told that during WWII my father would tell everyone at work that #2 son was the ice man's (he didn't look like any of the rest). My mother would then have to go around trying to undo the damage by telling everyone that he brought home the ice.

Reply to
krw

Terrorizing or devouring clients is generally considered counter productive. Besides, the opportunities are rather limited since I'm only a werewolf one night per (lunar) month.

What I do when the clients give me the run-around: Wait for it to load. Then move the mouse around the image.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

With an icy stare?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thoreau already covered this ground...

"I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes. If there is not a new man, how can the new clothes be made to fit? If you have any enterprise before you, try it > On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:57:18 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

of

Reply to
mpm

That's because you kept shooting them! :)

(Just a joke, no need to go off on one...)

We still have one here.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

No, we're not like Europe where its easier to kill employees than lay them off (and milkmen weren't in the teachers' union).

I haven't seen one for over fifty years. I remember when ours was "terminated". ;-)

Reply to
krw

[...]

I had the same one for twenty years, he delivered around 4am, never missed a day AFAIK. He retired and passed on the round to some kid a couple of years ago, now we get it at 7.30. Kids of today...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

We used to get milk and eggs delivered until about 30 years ago.

I can even remember horse-drawn milk wagons... the milk man would jump on and off the wagon and bring the milk into the house and put it in the fridge before you even woke up in the morning. And the horse knew the route, moving house to house without any commands :-)

I can even remember being friends with the milkman's family (when I was a kid), attending Christmas parties at his house. Then, one Christmas, it was a divorce announcement... he had been diddling a gal on his milk route ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Doing it at 4am probably cut his time significantly. No traffic.

Back in Uni I occasionally helped a friend deliver morning papers from the presses to the drop points where the newstands, retailers and paperboys would pick them up. If you hustled, started early, and did the section assembly efficiently you could double the money per hour compared to doddling about all (very early) morning.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

--
Ah, but innuendo lives on...
Reply to

You really are the dumbass you're so well known to be.

No. That was the point of the "ice man", dumbass.

Reply to
krw

had

Well Jim, I guess that establishes the lower bound on your age. At least the wheel had been invented by then! :)

Reply to
mpm

--
_You_ don't get it, so _I'm_ the dumbass?
Reply to

.

ad some

nner

he

s...

Thanks Joerg... but is it two sylables like the German Georg "Gay-org"?

And it's much easier than Spehro.. which my brain continually changes to "Sphere-O".

I have two separate vocabularies, one spoken and one written. When I was younger I was always making 'discoveries' of a word from each vocabulary that was really the same word... I just didn't know how to properly pronouce the one nor how to spell the other.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No, just one syllable. The origin is more Scandinavian.

I think that name has Hungarian roots, but for folks born over there (like me) easy to pronounce.

Same here, but that was in part because it was in more than one language for me. For example, words that sound similar in German and in Dutch can have quite different meanings. When everybody in a room turned around and looked at you that was a sure sign that it was wrong :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's within the range of usual pronunciations I hear. Make it "spear-oh" and it's there.

One of the last ones I so discovered was "chic". Just didn't connect the written to the spoken. It was a bit embarrassing (I think I was 18 or so, and thus infinitely more knowledgable than now).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I get it, dumbass. That doesn't change the fact that you're a dumbass.

You really are a dumbass.

Reply to
krw

had

Now, children! ...Jim Thompson

had

--
Just saying you got it doesn't mean that you did but, if you did, one
would expect more than a rebuttal based on begging the question.

--- Where do you get off with that kind of crap?

You pretend to be the peacemaker, but when anything is directed against you, you retaliate instead of absorbing the slight and using it as a chip against next time.

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields