Does this exist...

Ball and _Slot_ as opposed to the usual Ball and Socket.

Low load. Hobby size... maybe 1/4" to 1/2" ball. ...Jim Thompson

Dovetail exists, But have never seen ball and slot. Yes, spherical cutters for soft metals exist,so you can do the slot part.So depending on choice of materials, yes, that can be made in the average machine shop.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Brings up a few thoughts...

Dovetail material suggests just using a bolt-head instead of a ball.

I found I couldn't accurately drill my stainless adapter bar (for the barby), so I took it to a machine shop. It's supposed to be ready today, I'll ask the machinist about spherical cutting. ...Jim Thompson

--- Probably the easiest way to get it is to have a friendly local machinist make it for you.

One pass with an end mill to allow the next pass with a ball-end mill to be made and it's done as long as the slot will be wide enough to let your whatever-it-is into the channel.

Another way, if you're just looking to retain the whatever-it-is might be to use some of that channel they use for shelving:

+-----------+ | +-------+ | | | | | | +-+ +-+ | +---+ +---+
Reply to
John Fields

I have seen square top screws inserted and will not twist when you tighten.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

woodworkers use a slotted track(aluminum extrusion) that accepts a bolt head,allows them to make sliding fixtures and stops that attach to their router table fences or table saw fences.You can buy them at woodworking supply stores.

does it have to be a ball?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No. Just be able to rotate and slide. Sliding rarely, rotation mostly. ...Jim Thompson

Looks like a standard "T" bolt slot to me ! Like on lathe or machine beds but with a radiused bottom.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Just dawned on me. Piece of pipe, slotted ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Steve

Reply to
osr

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

if you only need rotating in one dimension you don't need a ball, just a bolt through a slot in a flat bar, add a washer on each side

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

A piece of C-channel and a bolt with a washer.

How do I set a laser printer to stun?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

TRY: Carriage bolt (coach bolt) Has a domed or countersunk head, and the shank is topped by a short square section under the head. The square section grips into the part being fixed (typically wood), preventing the bolt from turning when the nut is tightened. A rib neck carriage bolt has several longitudinal ribs instead of the square section, to grip into a metal part being fixed.

NOT: The original usage of the term stovebolt applied to a bolt with a slotted head that fastened into a nut. This particular bolt design was often used as a fastener on wood-burning stoves that were fabricated out of metal sheets, very common in the first half of the 20th century. Therefore, any slotted-head bolt that looked similar to the bolts in wood-burning stoves became referred to as a stovebolt.

"WrongAgain!"

Reply to
VWWall

What is it about that PDF that makes it hostile to Acrobat?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert,

It was created with Acrobat v7.1.0, by scanning directly into Acrobat... "make PDF from Scanner".

Given all your various symptoms, I think you have something else wrong other than Acrobat.

Do you have Acrobat, or do you really have Adobe Reader?

Try looking at installed programs... do you have more than one program that might be trying to read PDF's? ...Jim Thompson

Which brings a further thought... what do they call that wrap-around cylinder of ball bearings sliding on a shaft? ...Jim Thompson

I\'d almost forgotten about that beautifully clever piece of work!

Thanks for the jolt back. :-)

The originals were called "Thomson bushings", but I think the generic
name, now, is "linear ball bearing".
Reply to
John Fields

Thanks! I think that will be a better off-the-shelf solution than my hare-brained "ball-slot" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Acrobat is... lets say... shit! Use foxit reader instead!!!!

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Acrobat is a _creator_, Foxit is a _reader_.

I'm curious, what do you folks with "Acrobat" problems have also installed on your PC's? I suspect freebie virus scan programs.

I have one machine with v4, v5 and v7 co-installed. No problems. I use v4 for schematics, v5 for form creation and v7 to read stuff the other versions won't and it also handles scanning nicely. ...Jim Thompson