Reply to
mrdarrett

On 06/10/2006 the venerable snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com etched in runes:

is even better.

--
John B
Reply to
John B

Always thought this should be for Dilbert

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Martin -

I don't know how to adequately thank you for that last link.

For me, the part where it says in the linked article "And you 40-somethings and older who've never learned or who have had lifestyle changes that have forced you to cook..." hit the bulls eye. It is a lifestyle change for me. My wife developed cancer and is unable to cook or even stand for more than a minute or two. Now, after 64 years of never having to do housework, I have been thrust into the chore of housewife. I never realized how hard the work was.

The grunt work of cleaning, washing clothes, and some other household chores I can pretty much figure out and handle. Cooking is another matter. I have read cookbooks but they only give ricipes. I needed very much to understand principles. My wife knows those principles as if she was born with them. They are second nature to her, but she doesn't know how to teach me. And, the drugs she takes does not help her to help me.

To the newsgroup: Please forgive me for this off-topic post. I felt it was necessary to thank Martin for his link and to point out that sometimes even engineers become lost.

Sincerely, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 20:16:26 GMT, "John - KD5YI" Gave us:

Cook luck in your cooking educational endeavors (as well as the chore/joy itself). I would suggest the cable channel "The Food Channel".

There are quite a few show where the cook actually explains the principles involved, and most are quite educational as well as just plain fun to watch as well as attempt.

Reply to
JoeBloe

I suggest you make time a couple times a week for the food network program, Good Eats, by Alton Brown. The program is designed for engineers.

John Popelish

I watch Alton's show every evening. It's coming up to Thanksgiving time where I will again do his brined turkey recipe. Can't miss... comes out perfect every time.

The "plunger set" of measuring cups...

are marvelous!

Actually Alton's background is NOT as an engineer, but you'd never guess.

And that oriental shop keeper that harasses him about various kitchen tool purchases is really his Chiropractor ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Try to find

Cooking in a Bedsitter (Penguin Handbooks) (ISBN: 0140465499) Katharine Whitehorn

I still have mine.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Hi John, I'm just as lost as you. Glad I supplied you with some usefull info, but please thank the website, not me

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I do. I also thank those who posted with follow-up tips, links, and words of encouragement.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI