Audio uC Development Board

I'm interested in making a audio out device. I'm not sure of all the microcontroller port types I'd need to accomplish this. I'd imagine I'd need 2 D/A Converters at least. Does anyone know of any resources to connect all these circuit elements up to the uC as well? I'm considering dsPIC since it's cheap and many support DIP. In addition, what's that name for the headphone jack for purchasing on a store like mouser?

Also I'm just curious. It might be that PIC may not have enough for what I need, what would I do if I needed to make a PCB that uses something like a LQFP package microcontroller on it? I can design the PCB but I can't solder the chip onto the board myself is there a service that'll put the chip on for me for a decent price? Also where can I find a place for enclosers as well?

Reply to
jeremyje

What sort of audio, bleeps and farts? Sample rate, how many bits?

What are you trying to do? this should have been the first question, but i couldnt be bothered to cut and paste

For a simple DSP system try wavefront semiconductor AL3101, and use bkasm, freeware, to program it, I'm still reading about it, looks like fun

Using a PIC for audio is like using a hammer to pick your nose

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I'm using the analog devices ADUC7024 in a new design. ARM7 CPU, with fast 12 bit ADC and dual 12 bit DACs. It seems to be a really nice chip. It's LQFP only, but you could perhaps get the development board for it and use it's prototyping area for the rest of your project.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Any comments on it yet?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Cheers!

--
Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief,
Apostrophe Police

It looks like these chips are available now and I am intending to do some audio work with these chips. Putting them on a dip adapter is one of the first things I do anyway, simply for breadboard protos.

I don't think that I would be able to do the fancier DSP functions with it but simpler applications like level control, mixing, panning, and even encoding and recording to SD card are certainly quite doable.

*Peter*

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Reply to
Peter Jakacki

Good laugh, especially the last frame.

*Peter*
Reply to
Peter Jakacki

I know I should have tried a bit harder, but after a couple of glasses of rioja.......

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

What does that mean ? Could be anything. A thing that goes 'ping' ?

Details ??????

Port types ? Do you actually know what you're talking about ?

Why ?

It's called knowledge/experience.

If you don't even know that much, you actually aren't any designer.

Why not ? I can. QFPs are easy.

You're a troll of the worst kind.

You haven't even the first idea have you ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Apart from "It seems to be a really nice chip" ? :)

OK, apart from the more obvious headline features:

- I have only used the dev board so far, but everything I tried seemed to work straight away - unusually for me. All the registers seemed to have sensible power-on defaults and simple configuration. I already had my toolchain (gcc etc) setup for the LPC2138, so was able to add support for the ADUC7024 quite quickly.

- The only real documentation I found was the datasheet (most similar devices tend to have a much thicker "programmers reference manual" too). However the information I needed was pretty much all there and presented in an admirably concise form.

- The device is mising the usual ARM vectored interrupt controller, i.e. you have to determine the interrupt source yourself from a bitmask in a status register.

- Built in core regulator, so only need to supply +3V3. 5V tolerant I/O.

- It has some kind of PLA / FPGA built-in. Probably never use it but an interesting idea!

- single 32kHz XTAL

- I/O's can be set and cleared via writes to separate registers. For me this means that different pins of a port can be safely controlled from different execution threads without disabling interrupts. Unlike, say, the Sharp LH79520.

- No DMA, so the 1MHz ADC will need to use the FIQ, and some pretty tight assembly code, to be effective at full speed.

- +125'C operation. One of the very few devices specified for this.

- Good support. Free samples. I emailed a question about flash endurance at high temperatures which was answered quickly; apparently there is a new datasheet about to be released too. The actual endurance is nowhere near as dire as the Rev.0 datasheet would suggest!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Thanks for the help. I got all that I needed.

Reply to
jeremyje

Also look in Digikey. The Cygnal (silicon labs) micro has a 12 bit MUXed ADC and a couple of DACs. The micro part is quite fast too.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Your help has been greatly appreciated Graham. I got my project well underway with all your help. You're a livesaver.

Reply to
jeremyje