delay line logic

Does the world need that many IC designers? I wonder how many find jobs after graduating.

John

I had no trouble... multiple offers ;-)

...Jim Thompson

A jammable VCO done around 1975BS using delay lines....

"BS" = Before Spice ;-)

I did it originally in TTL to extract a clock from Manchester data.

Looks like, in CMOS, it needs some deglitching.

A good starting point would be to match input delays by using

2-IN-XOR's in each input path, one inverting and one not.

...Jim Thompson

Do

About 30-40% of the headhunter leads I get are for IC design. Seems a lot of headhunters can't distinguish well between circuit level and chip level designers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It would also be prudent to do some Schmitting after the delay line.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

As made originally... can't remember the brand now, but the delay blocks were TTL-in/TTL-out... _tall_ metal-canned 14-pin DIL's ;-)

The PSpice "delays" are digital. I'm in the midst of a project right now, posting while simulations run. When I get a free moment I'll wring that scheme out. It has promise for many clock extraction applications.

...Jim Thompson

I've never trusted any delay line with active devices in there :-)

Interesting. So far I've only used PLLs and correlators for that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's not an "active" delay line, it's passive with buffers on each end, to do what you like: Schmitts ;-)

It _is_ a PLL of sorts but, instead of a _voltage_controlled_ oscillator, it is a jam-locked (*), fixed frequency oscillator. That's fine for known modulation schemes running at a fixed frequency, such as Manchester.

(*) Sometimes called injection-locked, if the control input is analog.

...Jim Thompson

Sure, but before I sign my name on an ECO or recommendation I'd first like to know how they dunnit with the Schmitts :-)

Ah, like the old Wadley-loop receivers? I have one here, still needs a decent place again after the office remodel. The oscillator for the coarse 1MHz steps locks into place by picking and then injecting harmonics of a 1MHz TTL oscillator. The transitions are remarkably smooth, not the slurp-clunk like on a PLL.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Do

Only because you already owned your own hammer and chisel.

Michael A. Terrell

Do

Quadrille pads ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

much? Do

You mean 'Tablets', and then only after you chiseled the lines into the stone. :)

Michael A. Terrell

much? Do

A few hundred miles north from Jim they do it "Western Style". At Zion National Park I once did a long hike into a canyon and saw a place where someone had shot his name high up into the rock formation, with remarkable precision. A ranger said that probably happened early in the last century.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

much? Do

strongly

:-(

If it says, "Kilroy was here", that was me ;-)

...Jim Thompson

      I like my old UNCLE SAM better than my new BIG BROTHER

much? Do

strongly

:-(

Nah, you're old but not this old :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

logic",

things.

controllers

cheaper

silicon

Niagara

develoepd

the

noise

this

CFO

Yes, all the EM fields courses are taught by physicists that despise engineers. .

Reply to
JosephKK

Do

I had no trouble either. IC design hasn't been any fun for decades, though. FPGAs changed the world. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Do

IC design _is_ fun. FPGA's are for digital wimps ;-)

...Jim Thompson

                          In Memoriam...
                       Duane Lee Thompson
                October 31, 1972 - April 20,2006
          4th Child, 2nd Son, of Jim & Naomi Thompson
                     Victim of Colon Cancer

Do

You've never done FPGA design, eh?

Reply to
krw

As opposed to English, which is taught by English majors, WHO also despise engineers. ;-)

Reply to
krw