need a LOONG delay line

Hi, Im looking for a long delay line of about 10ms wich can handle a 10mhz sinewave. size is not too important as long as its able to be mobile, a quick calculation reveals I would need about 2000km of cable, wich means its probably far too expensive to do it this way, although I only need 1. One idea I had was to re circulate the signal many times shifting it up in frequency each time, im not sure if this could be done with just one mixer, any ideas ?

other methods of delay such as digisation etc are not suitable.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Perhaps convert it to mechanical energy with a piezo transducer,
then run it through something with a low velocity of propagation of
sound and then convert it back to electrical at the other end with
another piezo transducer?

Why can\'t you do it digitally?
Reply to
John Fields

Hello Colin,

Ponder John's suggestion of acoustic transfer. That's how they do the

64usec delay lines on PAL system color TV sets. Ok, you probably don't want to rig 156 of those in series to get your 10msec but it still sounds better than dealing with several flat-bed trucks full with huge cable drums pulling up.

The mixer thing sounds too esoteric. At the end you'd be looking with a magnifier for your signal.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Ten milliseconds is a long time for acoustics at 10 MHz. That's a time-bandwidth product of 10**5, which is a factor of 10 higher than you can usually get, at least in my experience. Digitize the signal and use a big long FIFO buffer--at a 40 MHz sampling rate, 10 ms is only

400k samples, which is a piece of cake.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I had thought of lots of TV delay lines as well lol, as for the cable idea I was thinking more of the type that has lots of very fine wire wound round a ceramic tube with ferrite/copper segments. A big reel of .1mm EC wire would go a long way, I might ony need a few hundred of them ... maybe wind several layers to save having 1000s of such tubes, maybe have to use twisted pair to avoid crosstalk ...

If the delay*bandwidth product is 10 too high maybe I could get away with

1mhz or 1ms, if the bandwidth of the 10mhz signal is only a few hz does that make it easier ?

I cant realy process the signal in anyway like downconvert it or digitise it, as this would not be accurate enough, the idea is to delay it long enough and compare it with the source so any cyclic phase shift shows up, so any such processing would obviate the point of the delay line, also it is on a moving platform.

Im still thinking about using a vector multiplier for a mixer and re circulating it, amplifying it as its recirculated of course so I dont end up looking for a needle in a haystack, might be a nightmare trying to analyse what happens to all the spurious products as they get re circulated and re multiplied together too etc ...

thanks

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Wouldn't the inductive reactance at 10MHz be multi megaohms?

Your accuracy is limited by the accuracy of the 10ms delay anyway. If it were really made of miles of wire the thermal expansion would probably destroy all the information.

If you want to know phase now vs phase 10ms ago, couldn't you just run the input into two PLLs with different loop bandwidths?

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

there is a form of tank depth gauge which uses very fine wire wound onto a 2" or so former. Off hand I can't recall the ping time we got from 10 feet of it, but it was much slowed down.

your problem is the 10MHz I'd think - digital would be a much better route, but 50ns samples means hard-wired logic not a processor.

David

Reply to
David Collier

idea I

round a

would

Hi thanks, well although it looks a bit like an inductor the way its wound, it acts like a transmision line so the signal is only attenuated by the losses in the copper/dielectric.

digitise

up,

as long as the expansion isnt cyclic at >1hz it would be cancelled out.

I think you just need 1 PLL with a loop time constant of >10ms, but the ultimatly the VCO limits the performance.

with an accelerating platform XO become rather noisy over a 10ms period. I have a rubidium clock but it is affected by magnetic field and would require significant more sheilding, Im not sure if hydrogen masers would be better but I was looking for an alternative.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Interesting using a delay line as a depth guage, often they are wound on a former with ferrite/copper inserts wich increas ethe propogation delay. like I said, unfortunatly digitisation would not be suitable,

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

The skin effect would kill you in a line that long, let alone its bulk. Look, for example, at the attenuation at 10MHz in a 200ns long line of RG-174!

I vote for the digitize & shift register (Phil Hobbs' was the first to suggest this IIRC).

-f

Reply to
Frank Miles

Hello Frank,

Also the dielectric losses.

I second that but Colin absolutely excluded it.

Colin: These days you can easily digitize to 16 bits at >25MSPS if needed. It doesn't cost and arm and a leg anymore. Same for memory, thanks to a few dog fights among RAM manufacturers and MS programs slurping ever more megabytes. What's the problem with digital in this case?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

In message , dated Fri, 18 Aug

2006, Frank Miles writes

If the delay can be a bit approximate, a 2 ohm resistor will do. It has a conductance of half a mho.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

RG-174!

yes it is a bit of a killer ... I hooked up a tv delay line and it didnt look to pretty at the other end, but nevertheless recoverable. even 50db loss isnt too bad to recover in one go.

As I clearly stated digitising is out, digitising the signal would serve no purpose at all, it would basicaly be like comparing the signal to the digitising reference frequency wich doesnt then even need to be delayed to do this, and its simpler to compare it with a reference frequency directly.

But the objective is to get rid of the need for a reference frequency altogether as this is a very limiting factor.

however looks like this delay line is a non starter, but id thought id ask anyway, you never know what you dont know !

maybe il just pursue the 2 rubidium clock idea some more. how much sheidling would you need to reduce the earths magnetic field by a factor of say 10 or 100 ?

thanks a lot everyone for the help anyway

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Thats BAAD, maybe we should try to get you some more work:-)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

*groan*
Reply to
colin

In message , dated Fri, 18 Aug

2006, colin writes
20 to 40 dB?

-- OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try

and

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

so you're wanting to find a delay line with a propogation delay that's more stable than a crystal oscilator?

I don't know if such even exist.

maybe you just need a better clock?

If delay lines were more stable then crystals people would use them for frequency reference, but the only place I see that done is in analogue musical instruments.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

no

directly.

Well it only needs to be more stable averaged repeatedly over 10ms intervals. most oscillators are prone to 1/f noise wich seems to be most pronounced at

10hz they are also suceptable to aceleration, I am assuming delay lines dont suffer from 1/f noise like conducting semiconductor junctions do, although I know they do suffer from microphonics quite badly and also very sensitive thermaly its ok as long as it doesnt vary cyclicly at ~10hz.

I have quite good OCXOs at the moment, ive tried quite a few different types of them. they work fine when stationary. just tilting a few degrees is enough to swamp the result. atomic clocks still have an OXCO as a slave oscillator and so are only marginally better over a 10ms interval plus they are susceptable to magnetic fields.

a reference clock will drift a bit over a 10ms interval, although it can be in a PLL the loop response needs to be over 10ms or else it is just a duplicate of the original and serves no purpose.

I think the reason they are not used is simply that crystals are so cheap and easy and Q is so much higher. there are delay line oscillators at high frequencies, SAW devices wich make use of propogation delay make very low noise oscillators.

thanks

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Why not a string of inductors and capacitors? That's what a transmission line is, after all - it's just squashed together. If that'd be too lossy, you could build another alongside it, where the nodes match the input impedance of a small buffer, whose output impedance matches its node of the output delay line. That's called a "distributed amplifier". Very broad-band, but I imagine rather noisy.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

only

in

hmm lets see how many stages, assuming 180' per stage thats 200,000 stages, its very narow band so that might help, assuming pcb capacitance can be used, assuming smallest inductors aranged on 1mm^2 grid thats about 500mmx500mm pcb inductors might be < £0.01 in volume = £2000, not as far out as one might of thought.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin