delay line oscillator (trombone style)

Hi, Im looking at a delay line oscillator to make a wideband vco upto 2ghz or more, it seems much more behaved than the colpits arangement I was trying before, at the moment I can get about 3:1 tuning range with just a varicap at each end of the delay line, but im looking to get as much as I can, is there any other way of connecting varicaps to extend the tuning range or maybe making the delay shorter with increasing frequency ?

Ive shaped the delay line like a hairpin and it made me think of a trombone if only I could slide the thing somehow but electrically with say varicaps.

Alternatively what would be the best way to use voltage controlled switches to switch the length ? I have some of those gaas fet with 6R on resistance and very low capacitance to try.

Im using one of those nice 2-12ghz hemts for the oscillator transistor.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Is your VCO higher frequency and mixed down or are you really trying to do DC-2G??

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

I think the answer is: PIN diodes (but I could be wrong).

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel