Re: Room Effects Filter

Is there any audio processing steps to remove, from a recording, that

> "boxy" (multi-echo) sound that results from using a single microphone > in a large room?

Yes, it's possible (it's called deconvolution). First step, characterize the room response. Second step, fourier transform the recording and the transient response function.

Now here's the tricky part: the room multiplies the pure input FFT by the response FFT (and you hear the inverse of this product). What deconvolution requires, is that you divide the contaminated input FFT by the response FFT, then invert the transform. The problem, of course, is that the response FFT has zeroes, and the recording includes some noise. I leave the consequence to your imagination, it's too distressing to discuss.

So, in practice, one examines the response FFT and identifies a few components from the range that DO lend themselves to modeling/deconvolution. More elaborate techniques can be employed to good effect in special cases (like, maximum entropy filtering, which retains quiet periods especially well).

Echo reduction is potentially easier; you do a little low-pass filtering and delay, then subtract from the original signal. It's hard to get the phases right, but not impossible. If you leave out the low-pass filter, it IS impossible.

Easier yet, is to remove the boomy sound by bandpass filtering (but this doesn't correctly handle transients/fast changes).

Reply to
whit3rd

This is a DVD set made from a PBS series dating back to the mid '70's. It apparently was recorded as if it were a stage show, with (sounds like) one microphone, full of mushy echoes and amplitude changes as people move around.

I have one of those mind-sets that, when immersed in noise, shuts down, and I falls asleep... making my wife angry :-(

If I could understand what they are saying I _might_ be able to stay awake ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On Apr 15, 1:21=A0pm, Jim Thompson wrote: [about a hard-to-make-out sound track recording]

There's a known problem in some audio tracks of BBC videos, in that the left/right channel phase convention is different from other standards. Can you try listening to the DVD in stereo, with one speaker turned down, or in Dolby 5.1 mode? The symptom is that mildly separated stereo turns into unintelligible monophonic output when the channels are summed.

Reply to
whit3rd

Aha! It is a BBC production! Are you saying that the audio is recorded as +L, -R?

So inversion of one channel should fix it?

...Jim Thompson

Can someone recommend a quality 1:1 audio transformer capable of line-level operation?

I want to make a "phase-flipper" that doesn't need to be powered.

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Presumably. Simply changing the left/right balance by 3 dB will make it intelligible, if this is the issue. Alas, I've heard (old Doctor Who) transcriptions for the US market that were impossible on a monaural TV set, though a stereo TV would render them well. If the DVD was made from a stereo source, and retains the stereo, there's no info lost. If it was a stereo source, and remixed for US market to monaural without the correct phase, it could be bad on the DVD. If the DVD has multiple sound options, one might be better than the other...

Reply to
whit3rd

Turning balance all to one side helps immensely, though it's still not perfect.

I didn't think to look at the initial menus. I'll do that. Good suggestion!

...Jim Thompson

Jim probably won't see this though.

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

You might consider trying this vendor's products:

.
Reply to
JosephKK