Conclusive physical evidence for AWG?

Actually it's like this; a flawed circuit or faulty code bite you in the arse -- hard. The nature of the work enforces a respect for testable reality. In areas where the universe does not immediatly punish error (religion, global warming, politics) the engineer is free to accept just about anything as "evidence" and free to ignore actual evidence that he is wrong.

Reply to
me

[snip]

Several Spice variants have "smoke" outputs. ALL Spice variants can have macros written for them that do the same thing.

...Jim Thompson

Bill, besides the usual problems with citing Wikipedia when asked for a scientific citation, the Wikipedia page you refer to does *not* say that "global temperatures got high enough to kill off the majority of land animals."

I don't mind you having an opinion that differs from mine, and I don't mind (much) your handwaving and refusal to address peer-reviewed data that refutes your theory, but I very much do mind the sort of intelectual dishonesty that causes you to cite a webpage that doesn't say what you claim it says. That is outside of the bounds of acceptable behavior, and I can no longer trust anything you cite. Stick a fork in me. I am done.

++
Reply to
me

It could be said that the natural state is the ice age. They last a lot longer than the interglacial periods.

Reply to
ingvald44

Kind of answers the question, but how does the dichotomy between engineering reason and other thought patterns impact their psyche?

Reply to
JosephKK

Motion seconded.

Reply to
JosephKK

Ok so far. Name some that have "smoke" outputs. Show me where to find the macros.

Reply to
JosephKK

Nice of Jim to come to my defence here. PSpice is one such with built in Smoke for stress testing, operating mragins and secondary breakdown etc.

The oldest reference I can find to lumped thermal and self heating SPICE models goes a lot further back in time than I imagined when I made the comment. It even includes some basic suggestions for how to do it longhand with sample networks as requested. It is in Intusofts newsletter for July 1988!

For IS-SPICE/386 with the tagline "faster than a VAX 11/780" (a claim I find rather surprising and a bit unlikely)

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

You seem to share Eeyore's enthusiasm for slective snipping, otherwise known as text-chopping.

Quire apart from the fact that the Wikipedia article cites some 99 scientific articles which appear to come from the peer-reviewd literature, my post went to to refer you to both Anthony Hallam and Douglas R. Erwin who have, on their own, published enough in the peer- reviewed literature to satisfy most peoples stomach for direct scientific citations.

In fact this lump of cheesy polemic falls flat on it face, because you've used an unmarked snip to conceal the fact that I referred you to two of the major players in the generation of the peer-reviewed data in the area - I was not presenting anything remotely original, merely referring you to current scieitific opinion.

If you want intellectual dishonesty, you only have to look in the mirror to come face to face with a peculiarly flamboyant practitioner of the craft. You'd have to be singularly stupid to think you could get away with it.

It may be that the Wikipedia article doesn't say that "global temperatures got high enough to kill off the majority of land animals." I certainly didn't claim to be quoting from it when I first posted the claim and my claim wasn't explicitly about the end-Permian global extinction. The story about the end-Permian global extinctions - there seems to have been more than one - is still complex and poorly understood. One of the extinctions killed off most of the land animals, and another did for a lot of marine species, and there's certainly evidence for dramatic global warming while all this was going on. The wikipedia commentary on the subject leans over backwards to be even-handed.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

And supplied. And promptly snipped by this lying scumbag.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Try ^ Mann, M.E.; Zhang, Z., Hughes, M.K., Bradley, R.S., Miller, S.K., Rutherford, S. and Ni, F. (2008). "Proxy-based reconstructions of hemispheric and global surface temperature variations over the past two millennia". PNAS 105: 132520-13257. doi:10.1073/pnas.0805721105.

Wrong. I've seen it all before, You aren't the first sucker to be taken in by denialist web-sites. You could find the answers via Google Groups search if you were really interested - which you obviously aren't.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

ith

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Note that Jim Thompson and krw haven't actually bothered to get Ph.D.s temselves, and don't seem to understand the process, any more than they understand the scientific evidence supporting anthropogenic global warming.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

re

Energy demand includes such items as central heating - mostly supplied by burning natural gas, and transportation - mostly supplied by burning petrol and diesel. Do try to think before you post.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

ore

n.

ut

Whereas the water movements now generated by the tides (such as the Severn Bore) are entirely friction free? Grow up. The Severn barrage might make the moon spiral out (not in) marginally faster, but you'd be hard put to measure the difference over the potential life-span of our species (about 10 million years, if we don't wreck the earth before then).

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

in

al

That's one way of looking at it - it doesn't tell you anything useful, but it does allow to make silly claims. The crucial fact is that we have injected some 900 gigatons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere since the start of the Industrial Revolution and another 900 gigatons into the oceans, and this had already warmed the planet by about 0.7C and will warm it more in the future as the oceans warm up and start ejecting the extra carbon dioxide.

om

With the "totally reliable peer-reviewed published" data you found on the Oregon Institue of Science and Medicine web-site?

I too have read Darrell Huff's "How to Lie with Statistics". I'm not interested in playing your silly games.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

an

es

Check out heat dissipation within one device.

Michael Mann didn't commit any kind of fraud. McIntyre didn't like his statistical techniques, which isn't the same thing at all, and the hockey stick curve has been replicated repeatedly since McIntyre's objections were made public. The only fraud around is in your claim that curve was ever invaldidated.

of

eed

.

That claim is in itself fraudulent. The fact that you were ignorant enough to fall for it when you ran into it on a denialist web-site tells us all we need to know about your judgement.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Bill, lie down and have a rest. You've lost it - again.

I only ever referred to electricity. The Severn barrage is about electricity. My post had nothing to do with other UK energy requirments.

The post I replied to mentioned various numbers and I asked where one came from.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

ore

more

.

But the post you were responding to referred to total energy, whch is a point you failed to take on board.

But you were replying to a post from a slightly less blinkered individual.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Is it possible to enjoy American beer?

Yeeeurgh!!! :-(

Reply to
warm'n'flat

In article , warm'n' snipped-for-privacy@rabbit.com.au says...>

Anyone who drinks beer warm'n'flat has no room to criticize American beer, some of which are quite good.

Reply to
krw