Chip ID required

Gentlemen,

Can anyone tell what this chip is, please? It is a 14 pin DIL device with the following markings; F 4070BPC 7743

And the "F" looks like a regular capital letter, not like the fancy Fairchild seriffed F.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Sounds like a metal-gate CMOS quad XOR gate made in the fourth quarter of 1977.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks, Phil; what I was hoping for. Good to know I won't have to cobble one together out of discretes. Pity it took 2 hours of sorting through my junk box to find, though!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yah, I remember the difficult days of 1974 when the date codes were crossing through the part numbers. ;)

(Or rather, I had a bunch of older parts with that problem--I wasn't doing digital design in 1974, though I was reading about it.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I once handled a 7404 made in 7406. Or maybe it was the other way around. No other markings, off-white plastic, text 90 degrees to the usual.

Chips were weird back then. I've also seen round-lead TO-220 (the TO-220 standard is embarassingly loose; most people actually mean the more familiar-dimensioned TO-220AB when they mention it), glob-tops (uh, TO-106 and the like?), TO-92s that were obviously filled with resin by hand, etc.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

oddest looking are these russian chips:

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm good with that.... as long as it doesn't start crawling! Yikes!!

Reply to
mpm

Most likely 2.50 mm (not 2.54 mm) pitch quad in-line.

The strange thing is that there appears to be no mechanical support under the wires. Just wondering how hard it must have been to manually insert the chip into the PCB before soldering if the pins are even slightly bent. Sometimes it can be hard to insert even small 18-24 pin quad in-line packages into a PCB.

Reply to
upsidedown

Even harder, to get all the wires of an octal glass vacuum tube to go into the little tubes-crimped-in-phenolic that form the pluggable octal base of the tube. But, it happened fast on a lot of assembly lines.

Reply to
whit3rd

It does look like a classic case of saving 1p on materials at the cost of 10p of labour. But at least one could insert the legs 1 at a time. Probably.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The leads are probably gold-plated copper they can probably take a fair amount of abuse as compared to the pins on a standard DIP. Just tack down one corner and use a lil jewelers screwdriver to bend/push the others into place

Reply to
bitrex

Package looks like it was designed to survive an atom bomb at five feet away

Reply to
bitrex

"

I've seen something like that before. Where ???

Reply to
jurb6006

Are you old enough to remember the IC Master books? Had the part # and desc of almost every IC.

Reply to
sdy

That particular image appears in hundreds of web pages. Using Google Image search: Most are identical to the one on Wikipedia. These are slightly different: The translated caption reads "In the USSR, such beautiful IS in the pre-"

I've seen the logo before, but can't identify the manufacturer:

Time wasted on this, about 30 minutes.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I'm guessing the manufacturer was called "The USSR"

Reply to
bitrex

(...)

Translation of caption on Wikipedia page: German: A developed in the USSR IC (?145??3?, old name ?1??453), 2x installed in the manufactured from 1974 Soviet calculator ???? 73 (epic 73).

That lead to some photos of related parts:

Judging by the display in the upper-left corner, this is the calculator:

Additional time wasted, about 20 minutes.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 10 May 2018 09:07:43 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: (...)

Logos of Soviet Manufacturers: Looks like it was made by Electronpribor in Fryazino, Russia

Soviet Integrated Circuit Designations:

Add another 15 minutes down the drain.