Ta da >:-}

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "Those [of us] who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" -Edgar Allan Poe

...Jim Thompson

World Cup skiing may be cancelled because of too much snow. No wonder the public has lost interest in global warming.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The "Real Scientist" mentioned in the article is William Happer, a professional working girl. Available on call for the right price.

Reply to
bitrex

Dude, the claimed error bars make that 'study' inconclusive. Adding loaded language to the title, like adding a firecracker to a cigar, doesn't improve the smoking experience.

Reply to
whit3rd

... and lost faith in the fake/junk science that underpins this bullshit:

Cursitor Doom

Self-contradictory article written by a moron. Apparently they missed the part about the 100 year time constant of that krypton xenon ratio, making an accurate measurement of a past 50 year rise doubtful.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

there's some site where dozens and dozens of scientific papers from the

1970s are given as references to "prove" that scientists in that era were predicting the onset of a new Ice Age. What's funny is that in at least one out of two that I clicked through the paper authors say explicitly that they expect an overall warming trend. Sometimes even in the opening paragraph. Lol they didn't even read them
Reply to
bitrex

To me it's silly that every hot summer (here or there) is global warming, and a cool winter spell, (again here or there.) shows that the globe is cooling.

Overall we seem to continue to warm. Let's launch more satellites. (I'm enjoying the cold spell so far, a snowshoe walk down the creek tomorrow. :^) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No, it shows global warming. Get with the program!

Enjoy it while you can. Don't come bitching to me when you're a mile deep in ice! ;-)

Reply to
krw

So they misplaced an article. It isn't necessary to "prove" that the ice age hype existed because we older guys remember it. We also remember what it was like to have teachers who didn't try to indoctrinate us. We remember it from news and discussion outside of school.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I don't doubt that you do remember it from the news, because the hype surrounding it was manufactured by the media and not in congruence with what scientists were actually saying.

Reply to
bitrex

Unlike today when scientists say "the temperature has risen 0.75 degree in 100 years" and environmentalists say "the temperature has risen 0.75 degree in 100 years and that means it's going to rise 3 times as much in the next 100 and the sea level is going to rise 10 meters and it's going to be an apocalypse." The media can't distinguish scientists from environmentalists. Of course anyone can see that the sea level hasn't risen 1/3 of 10 meters, or at all, in the last 100 years.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

This particular older guy remembers that it wasn't any kind of hype - more some loose speculation on what might eventually happen. It didn't have anyt hing remotely like the weight or substance of the evidence behind the curre nt anthropogenic global warming predictions In fact my memory is that those speculations didn't adduce any evidence at all, beyond the fact that we'd had a few millions years of cycling between ice ages and interglacials, so that the current interglacial was likely to end sometime and get replaced b y a new ice age.

One of the side effects of all the work that has been provoked by detection of anthropogenic global warming is that we know have a much clearer idea o f how the climate flips from ice age to interglacial and back again - which does involve a couple of positive feedback of the kind that John Larkin ca n't get his head around.

Not all that accurate either. Teachers have always taught kids to see the w orld the same way they do, imparting socially acceptable ideas and attitude s.

Parents get very testy when the teachers do anything else.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You're wrong.

Reply to
krw

I don't disagree

By the time just anyone could eyeball the difference, you'd have much bigger problems on your hands than arguing over decimal points.

Reply to
bitrex

Also "anyone" depends heavily on where you live. Residents of the Maldives are planning on evacuating and at some point will likely have to. The water is coming from somewhere and it's unlikely to be from say, within the Earth's crust.

It might take a few Pacific islands to be drowned out before some folks come around. Then again I expect some American media outlets to simply claim those islands were a hoax and never existed in the first place.

Reply to
bitrex

Sea level has risen about 0.2 metres since 1880

This is pretty much due to the thermal expansion of the water already in th e oceans.

The GRACE satellites show that both the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets are losing mass, but not - at the moment - fast enough to have any signific ant effect.

What happened at the end of the last ice age is that the Laurentian ice she et slid off into the north Atlantic, as is well documented.

There was a total sea level rise of about 120 metres over 13,000 years, whi ch is an average rate of 1 metre per century, but the rate of rise wasn't u niform, and it got up to 2.5 metres per century over two two thousand year- long intervals.

There is only about 10 metres of sea level rise tied up in the Greenland an d East Antarctic ice sheets which do look as if they could start sliding of f in big lumps, but when this does happen it is likely to happen quite fast .

Being optimistic about prospective sea level rises, because we haven't seen much so far, is being a trifle ill-informed.

The catch about predicting the start of the sliding off in large chunks pha se is that this depends on what is happening at the bottom of the ice sheet s, which is a tolerably inaccessible area. The IPCC has been conservative a bout it because there's not a lot of evidence around in the published scien tific literature, but the fact that we can't predict exactly when it is goi ng to happen doesn't mean that it isn't going to happen.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Snort!

I wonder whether they will decry the loss of the US military facilities on Diego Garcia. Average elevation 4 ft maximum elevation 22ft.

They are rather important w.r.t. the Gulf, Pakistan, and will be w.r.t. Chinese naval expansion.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Do we really know if the sea level is rising or the Meladives islands are sinking ? Land areas are sinking or rising by more than 10 mm/year due to various reasons.The recent sea level is just about 1 mm/year.

With increased population, only marginally inhabitable island areas are being used. With high tides and storms, some of these areas are destroyed and the population blame global warming, while those areas should never had been populated in the first place.

A more cynical view is that when the islanders have got global attention, they try to blackmail the rest of the wold to get more foreign aid.

Reply to
upsidedown

Slowman opines, "One of the side effects of all the work that has been provoked by detection of anthropogenic global warming is that we know have a much clearer idea of how the climate flips from ice age to interglacial and back again - which does involve a couple of positive feedback of the kind that John Larkin can't get his head around."

I think Slowman just said that Larkin is a dummy ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.