Chevy Volt Panned...

"1997" ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Yup. I always had station wagons, hatchbacks or SUVs. The Citroen 2CV was technically a "sedan" but you could remove the trunk lid and rag top and then it became a pickup truck. Once I transported an upright fridge with it that did not fit into a VW bus. The owner of that bus was almost red in the face, couldn't believe it.

Oh-oh, carry the number for the mountain rescue guys with you :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That was when I bought the SUV. Because the 1987-Audi had a non-regulated catalytic conversion and could not be registered in CA. Wish I could have kept it . That SUV has an ECU, and that's it. Windows have cranks, doors have mechanical-only locks, and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

Not for one that has at least a ten year life without significant repair/maintenance costs. I typically put 150K miles on a car in 10 years. Traded the 1996 Q45 in with 167K miles on it. Dealer couldn't believe how good a shape the body was in.

Most everything Larkin says is bull shit. This is typical. I'm surprised he didn't say cluck-cluck, but that would stretch his vocabulary. If he has the A3 S tronic quattro....

My Q45 has electronically steered rear wheels, with rear wheel drive.

Since it doesn't snow here, who needs 4-wheel drive? That's for jeeps, and eats tires when on-pavement.

Compared to my 5-year old Infiniti Q45...

0-60mph: A tie A3 6.7 secs, Q45 6.7 secs.

Horsepower to weight ratio Q45 has a 45% advantage.

Torque, A3 207 lb-ft, Q45 333 lb-ft

2.0 liter versus my 4.5 liter

A3 is turbocharged, Q45 is not, which explains Q45 long lifetime

Comfort, Bwahahahahahaha. Driving an Audi is like traveling in coach versus first class... I can stretch my legs and not bump into anything ;-)

Trunk size, Q45, enormous, A3 pansy-sized, unless you drop rear seat

Mileage highway, A3 28, Q45 27

Overall width (and passenger space), Q45 plus 3"

Overall length (and passenger and luggage space), Q45 plus 31.9"

Take notice of that----------------------------------------^^^^^

I've got leather seats heated/cooled ;-)

Also, Sirius Radio, AM/FM, CD player, tape player, GPS navigation, on dash built-in mapping

Bluetooth speaker phone.

Electric everything, even the trunk opens and closes itself ;-)

Wonder if Larkin would deign to submit to a drag race, or better yet, a road race from here to Yuma ?:-)

The A3 is clearly a pansy car, but then Larkin lives in PansyVille, Californica ;-)

That's why I own a pick-em-up truck.

That's why I own a pick-em-up truck.

...Jim Thompson

This is one of the reasons I still run older models. Have just sold the

2nd car, family hack vehicle, a 1994 Isuzu Trooper 3tdi that we ran for 7 years. It would tow just about anything and had loads of space just to chuck stuff in without worrying about scratching the interior. Finally had an abs fault that I couldn't fix, despite spending 2 whole weekends and replacing just about every associated part with known good s/hand. Suspect connector corrosion or frayed harness, but the fault was intermittent and I just ran out of patience (like it was trying to tell me something). 260k miles and still burning almost no oil though. Over 7 years, cost me around 1.5k ukp in parts and tyres. Almost no complex electronics, other than the damned abs. Have just bought another of the same type. Apparently, a GM derived engine, so they can't be all bad :-).

I'm quite tempted by a 4.2 S6 saloon. Values have dived here because of fuel and servicing costs in the last few years and the fact that a 4.2 v8 is "irresponsible". Only problem is they are nearly all auto, or tiptronic, where I prefer a manual box. Failing that, the S2 gets repainted later this year, The reds from the mid 90's all fade and you can only do so much with T-Cut...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Mercedes had hydrogen powered research vehicles over 20 years ago, iirc and various manufacturers are working on such ideas now. There are safety issues with high pressure fuel tanks on vehicle and also the needed infrastructure of filling stations, but that could be solved. Imo, it is one of the more promising approaches as it's almost zero polution. ie: you get water out of the exhaust. It can also use existing engine designs...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Mercedes had hydrogen powered research vehicles over 20 years ago, iirc and various manufacturers are working on such ideas now. There are safety issues with high pressure fuel tanks on vehicle and also the needed infrastructure of filling stations, but that could be solved. Imo, it is one of the more promising approaches as it's almost zero polution. ie: you get water out of the exhaust. It can also use existing engine designs...

Regards,

Chris

You are an imbecile. Where is the hydrogen sourced

mike

Reply to
m II

I think you have to look behind you to find the answer to that.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

No problem and yes, the hydrogen would need to be generated. Either by some as yet undeveloped chemical means, or more likely via electrolysis. Not an unsolvable problem.

Yet another reason why we will need more nuclear power...

Regards

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

All a real man would need would be an exercise bike that operate a generator that keeps a battery up. The battery powers the electrolysis engine, and both the Hydrogen and the Oxygen gets captured. The Hydrogen gets used to power commute-to-work devices and perhaps even the larger vehicles for grocery getting, etc. and the latter can be used to power some other green device in the household, or... Use both in a full size vehicle engine with gas injection instead of fuel injection. Then all of our current engines work, they just need new induction systems. We have been doing that already for decades. Should be no big deal. We could also use more nitrous oxide in say public transportation, or such. More ummmph, but without the worry of it being in the hands of an idiot behind the wheel.

Reply to
I AM THAT I AM

[snip]
[snip]

A little further enquiry shows that an Audi A8 is in a comparable class to my Q45. The A3 is a junior level vehicle for wannabees... the all-hat-no-horse kind that hang out in bars trying to impress the cheap chicks :-) ...Jim Thompson

[snip]

From BU ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

going

As far as I know, nothing I said contradicts this. Somebody else called the Honda a Prius with a different body, not me.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

OK, the problem is if you go to a really small engine, you lose the acceleration people seem to think they need. So, that's what the electric stuff is for, is to give you that acceleration, while having a wimpy engine capable of the cruise power requirement.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

This inexpressable asshole keeps trying to insult my wife, probably figuring it will distress me, or maybe make him look clever.

What it does is demonstrate what a total, stupid asshole he is.

And the A3 (3.2 V6, not a turbo) is a perfect ski car, as we demonstrated again today. I bet it would be dicey driving in ice and snow with turbo lag complicating life.

Crippled pathetic old digital-befuddled geezers probably don't know much about ski cars. He only has to drive to Wall-Mart to buy hideous furniture.

John

VW Golf 1.9 Tdi (150 bhp)

0-60 8.6 seconds Top speed 134mph Extra urban 64.2 mpg Combined 52.3
--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Be fun trying to pull a boat trailer with that. Could take a lot of clutch slip. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs