Chevy Volt Panned...

Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Specs for each model are as follows:

R ? Rally Model: Onboard Charger: Double Charger (Standard) Speed: Up to 130 mph / 209 kmph Acceleration: 0-60 mph / 0-96 kmph in 5.9 seconds Range: Up to 150 miles / 241 kilometers Charge Time: Approx. 6* Hours Batteries: 12 (100Ah for a total of 40.32kWh) Cycle Life: Up to 2500 Full Charges

RT ? Rally Touring Model: Onboard Charger: Triple Charger (Standard) Speed: Up to 132 mph / 212 kmph Acceleration: 0-60 mph / 0-96 kmph in 7.1 seconds Range: Up to 250 miles / 402 kilometers Charge Time: Approx. 10* Hours Batteries: 12 (240Ah for a total of 96.78kWh) Cycle Life: Up to 2500 Full Charges

RTX ? Rally Touring Extreme: Onboard Charger: Triple Charger (Standard) Speed: Up to 170 mph / 273 kmph Acceleration: 0-60 / 0-96 kmph in 3.4 seconds Range: Up to 200 miles / 321 kilometers Charge Time: Approx. 8* Hours Batteries: 24 (100Ah for a total of 80.64kWh) Cycle Life: Up to 2500 Full Charges

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Yup. 100 kWh is right around 130 horsepower-hours. Good luck getting a boat to the Adirondacks with that, even if you started from over here. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

An electric SUV might be even more practical, with a tonne or so of batteries

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

It appears to me that most people with major commutes by car and a boat to haul can afford 2 vehicles, at least if insurance companies did not charge extra for having extra vehicles that could be driven by friends or unauthorized drivers such as teenage children.

Multiple vehicle households may do well by having one vehicle that can tow boats and do other big jobs, while the other vehicles don't burn more fuel than necessary to haul one or a small number of people and 100-200 pounds of groceries.

Those that only tow boats infrequently may do well to rent a vehicle that is good for towing the boat, while owning one that is more economical for most vehicle needs.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

BTW, Toyota has sold 3 million Prius cars

Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

We have generally[*] had two cars, one older one and one new, so one is reliable for distance driving. A commuter would significantly increase the cost.

[*] We're currently in an odd, for us, situation where we have two >10YO vehicles, a car with 100K and a pickup with 80K.
Reply to
krw

God bless 'em. I'm happy to see other people buy what they want. I'm not happy when they try to tell me what to buy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not everybody has Jay Leno's garage space, though.

My commute is about 20 yards, except for once a month when it's 4000 miles. My ride gets about 60 passenger-miles per gallon). ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(New Mexico today, Colorado on Thursday, back to NY next week. Iron Bottom city.)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Dang! Not all on the road though, right?

Reply to
SoothSayer

Fortunately not. Sometimes the schedules just work out that way, but I sleep a lot better at home.

Interesting work though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I don't have the slightest interest in boats, but we have run two vehicles for a decade or more. A lusty 4x4 for towing and general family hack duties and a quick coupe / saloon for the fast cross country / business use. None of them have ever been new and working from home most of the time means that the gas mileage is of no real concern. I might be more worried if I were commuting every day...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

C'mon John, mellow down a bit. It's bad for your blood pressure :-).

I used to drive from Oxford south to Basingstoke and beyond and sometimes when the snow was bad on the A34 main road, or they were blocked due to jackknifed trucks, I would go cross country to get to client site. On the way, you would see dozens of exec type bmw and mercedes slithering all over the road, trying several times to get up minor hills etc, while the quattro would just drive straight past and on it's way. That 80 Q saloon lasted me for 5 years before it was replaced and the cost of ownership was almost nil, other than for oil change / service and tyres. It had over 100k miles when I bought it. After running Italian cars for years, it was like a revelation.

There's no substitute for 4wd and all cars should have it, imo...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Distress and duress, that's my motto ;-)

Naaaah! It demonstrates how easily I can get wa-a-a-ay under your skin.

[snip]

You started this crap. You could end it, but you're too pompous an asshole to do it. ...Jim Thompson

My old 2L Capri did 280,000 on same engine clutch and gearbox before finally rusting away. Also averaged 35mpg Most fun car I have ever had.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Such exceptions ARE provided. State Farm has had such clauses ever since I can remember. When I was young and had teenagers, my 280ZX policy had clauses like "No drivers under 25".

...Jim Thompson

With some teenagers that covers both age & IQ. :(

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Remember the Capri well, a very successfull vehicle for Ford for years and you could fix them by the side of the road. My brother had a 2 and then a 3 litre version for a while. The 3 was *very* entertaining, especially in the wet, after a night in the pub and coming back home through unlit country roads :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Why would you want that? If someone swiped you car, don't you want to be covered? As far as teenage children, the typical policy will surcharge you for any living in your household, whether they drive your cars or not (unless they have their own insurance). Some don't even have an exemption for children at college, living away from home.

The cost of the vehicle is usually far greater than the insurance. Rather, some *do* have commuters because it's cheaper to insure some cars as "recreational use only".

Reply to
krw

He insults my wife. That makes him an asshole. It's a simple statement of fact.

John