CapsLock

Logitech makes great products but sometimes they royally mess up the firmware behind them. I bought their marble trackball three months ago. One of the best trackballs I ever had but they botched the scroll wheel emulation. So it cannot properly zoom in/out around the region of interest in most CAD and I have to keep the mouse connected in parallel. I wrote to them and they don't seem to understand how important this is (for their sales).

This is probably the kind of keyboard we need some day as we get older:

I believe there would be a real market for a keyboard that has a built-in trackball of "Logitech marble class" instead of the numeric pad, but one where the scroll function actually works. A problem would be that there'd need to be a 2nd version for left-hand users. I can do CAD pointing with either hand but most people seem not to.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 07:30:41 -0700, Joerg Gave us:

Well, can you not disable the keyboard assigned key, yet still input the alt-character combo to effect the keypress result even while the key itself has been turned off?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 07:30:41 -0700, Joerg Gave us:

Well, can you not disable the keyboard assigned key, yet still input the alt-character combo to effect the keypress result even while the key itself has been turned off?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You can, but in a case where you need to switch back and forth a lot between a caps lock app and a regular program that quickly gets old. It won't affect me much but I believe people who program BASIC and then write a document in parallel have to do this.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That looks cool, a bit more blatant than my Logitechs. My vision is mediocre and I work in near-darkness sometimes, so a garish backlit keyboard is just the thing.

Some keyboards used to have bumps on some keys, to allow for tactile orientation without looking. Nobody seems to do that any more.

Some day something will replace the ancient QWERTY keyboard, maybe the entire idea of a keyboard.

lunatic fringe electronics

Do you use caps lock? Most people probably don't.

I don't really need it for BASIC programming; the PowerBasic IDE automatically capitalizes keywords.

lunatic fringe electronics

My caps lock toggle device is available for purchase.

lunatic fringe electronics

There is something wrong with this explanation. I understand there are key mapping programs available which will let you remap keys on the fly. I use a terrain mapping program (or is it the PCB layout package?) that uses pgup and pgdn in an unintuitive manner. I was told about key mapping programs that would let me swap these keys. I assume you could remap the caps lock key to do nothing or something harmless.

--

Rick
Reply to

It can be turned off. Just press the caps lock key. ;) Had to say it.

Actually I have a tremor and sometimes I hit the caps lock key when I don't want to. Two or three letters have to be retyped. It's not such a big deal. What is making you need this?

--

Rick
Reply to

Sure there are programs. However, for good reason some people a leery when it comes to installing helper software from unknown sources.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You mean like Windows? Just because millions of people use it doesn't mean it is a "safe" program.

--

Rick
Reply to

The risk of a purposefully included virus would be pretty slim there. Mistakes, yes, but not that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A problem is a problem no matter the name. It is easy to get software without viruses. Just don't do stupid things.

--

Rick
Reply to

A couple of drops of super glue will stop you getting lost.

For best results wait for it to cure.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

John Larkin brought next idea :

The bumps are still on a lot of keyboards including the Backlit KB from Amazon mentioned above. The bumps are for typeist finger alignment on the F and J keys.

--
John G Sydney.
Reply to

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 19:38:16 +1100, John G Gave us:

snip

The bumps are also for a blind typist alignment.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Some keyboards use the D and K keys which can feel better.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 11:07:29 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Since it is a long (decades) established worldwide standard, I am having trouble believing you.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Which ISO standard specifies the bumps?

lunatic fringe electronics

I believe it was an Apple product a friend had that used the alternate location. He thought it was great, I've never seen anything but the F and J keys myself. I do think the D and K keys are better locations. I think those fingers spend more time on the home position and it just "feels" natural to use those fingers to search for the pips. Maybe it's because they are longer.

--

Rick
Reply to