CapsLock

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

If you give a hardware engineer a problem, they will always produce a hardware solution. Here's several ways to do it in software:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I pry the key clean off.

Reply to
jurb6006

But I didn't have to download and install anything or edit the horrible registry or anything. Everything I needed was in reach, and I can easily remove it when I want to program in BASIC.

If I press it really hard, lock still works, but not accidentally.

Caps Lock is the only complaint I have about the cool Logitech illuminated keyboard. It has a giant DEL key and a tiny INSERT key up in the functions row, so I never accidentally get into insert mode.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The damn insert key. That can drive you nuts. I would like at least an indi cators for it but there is none except in some programs that show it on scr een. Kinda wonder how they detect that really.

But you program in BASIC ? In what ? I mean the last time I saw anything yo u could do anything in BASIC with was QBASIC and I think that was gone by W in 98. Is there a program or something you download ? I wouldn't mind playi ng around with it once in a while. I actually wrote a few things, one recal culated the displacement of an internal combustion engine when you bore out the cylinders. One was a multiple choice quiz. I forget what the other one was. Stored on cassette tape in the beginning ! I had the cable to the COC O. Later, redid it in QBASIC.

Thanks for reminding me of another "upgrade" that took away functions I use d to use. You ever see me with Win 7, shoot me.

Reply to
jurb6006

dicators for it but there is none except in some programs that show it on s creen. Kinda wonder how they detect that really.

you could do anything in BASIC with was QBASIC and I think that was gone by Win 98. Is there a program or something you download ? I wouldn't mind pla ying around with it once in a while. I actually wrote a few things, one rec alculated the displacement of an internal combustion engine when you bore o ut the cylinders. One was a multiple choice quiz. I forget what the other o ne was. Stored on cassette tape in the beginning ! I had the cable to the C OCO. Later, redid it in QBASIC.

sed to use. You ever see me with Win 7, shoot me.

Wow, I gotta agree. (I've still got plenty of Qbasic programs that I run regularly.)

John, you should try python (The older 2.7 version works with labjack) It's interpreted like basic. Just type in the command line, if you're uncertain of a command. It's free and supported and works with stuff. (There are all these different funky names for things, I mostly just ignore the names.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

PowerBasic Console Compiler. It makes nice quick console-mode apps under Win7 or XP. It has all the modern language goodies: all sorts of variable types, formal subs and functions, CASE, TRY/CATCH, TCP/IP, graphics, great string functions, almost anything. It usually beats compiled C apps for speed, sometimes by 3:1. USING$ alone is worth getting it.

The kids here prefer Python, but it doesn't appeal to me. And it requires installing a giant runtime system; PB makes nice little .exe files.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Butchering the registry is easy, especially when using .REG files. Running one file sets something on, while running another turns it off. For example, stolen from: Save the following as disarm_caps_lock.reg and undo_keyboard_tweaks.reg respectively.

To disarm the Caps Lock key:

--------- cut here ----------------------- Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout] "Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00

--------- cut here -----------------------

To re-arm the Caps Lock and any other changes:

--------- cut here ----------------------- Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout] "Scancode Map"=-

--------- cut here -----------------------

You will probably need to reboot your computah for these hacks to take effect. I just tried it on XP and it works. Not so sure about Win 7, but it's probably also functional.

Actually, much as I hate to admit it, your shim is a rather elegant hack. My main interest was in the psychology, where hardware engineers offer hardware solutions, software engineers offer software solutions, managers offer administrative solutions, and politicians offer political solutions. If you had given the problem to a chemist, you probably would have been asked to temporarily glue the switch in place with hot melt glue. A geologist would probably have suggested placing one or two rocks under the keytop. A mechanical engineer would have added a stiff spring under the keytop, to make it more difficult to accidentally hit, but still functional. A fluidics engineer would have crafted a torus (donut) out of chemistry hose and inserted it under the keytop. They all will work, but the fun (for me) is identifying the culprit from the type of solution.

I don't like the new and allegedly improved flat low profile keyboards. My idea of the ideal keyboard is the Selectric keyboard, with it's long travel keys, positive action, audible click, and dished keytops. Each of these features have their benefits, all of which are lacking in the low profile keyboards. Detailed rant on the topic if anyone wants it.

I once ran a simple test of keyboard accuracy. I typed about 10 long and boring pages from some legal documents, complete with elaborate formatting and punctuation. I repeated the exercise with four different keyboards, including a MacBook Pro with the flat key tops. I gave myself about 10 mins of practice with each keyboard before starting the test. No corrections or autoformatting allowed. The object was not to test how fast I could type, but rather how few mistakes I make. A diff of the outputs highlighted all the mistakes. I did best on my trusty old IBM Model M13 keyboard, and worst on the MacBook Pro keyboard. Numbers when I find where I hid them.

The main problem was that my fingers tended to wander off the keys and land between keys when I wasn't looking at the keyboard. With a bowl shaped Selectric keytop, the fingers are guided to the center of the key. With a low profile flat top, the finger tends to slip and slide off to the sides.

Mechanical Keyboards: Should You Switch?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

PBCC is a real compiler, and a good one. It makes exe files. There is a .BLOAT directive that makes really big exe files if you want them.

I've read up a little in Python and don't see a reason to switch.

lunatic fringe electronics

My hack doesn't need a reboot to install or remove!

I tried to pry off the key to put something under it, but it was feeling like something might break before it popped off.

I never learned how to type, so it doesn't matter much.

lunatic fringe electronics

I think we found the problem.

--

Rick
Reply to

It's actually a sophisticated engineered fork-like shape that took a serious fraction of a minute to develop.

lunatic fringe electronics

+1

Martin Riddle

--
Perhaps you'd prefer one like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q1t1hu70l57f8y/Laps%20cock.png?dl=0

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

You can also do it the high-tech way:

Beats me why they still don't have a simple "turn this off" function in the control panel.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 15:54:26 -0700, Joerg Gave us:

Because it is a basic keyboard function.

One can likely unassign the key. (almost assuredly so in Linux)

Then use an alt-character combo to eneble/disable it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Maybe most people find it useful? I use it at times. Heck, even my phone has a mode of typing all caps.

--

Rick
Reply to

In Windows only in the registry. That's cumbersome and you can't turn it on and off on the fly as needed because it always requires a reboot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It is rarely used and shuold be something that can be turned on-off as a function. Just like I was able to turn the hibernate key to "Do nothing" status. It would be embarrassing to hit that during an important online conference.