Bird Strike Detector for Jets??

WWII.  I think the crew

windscreen, smacked the pilot

in his left shoulder.

Cellphone + breathalyzer! :)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Who'd be providing the thrust? :)

Reply to
K Ludger

ha.....that's so bad. :)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Only if the intention is to conduct a survey relating to birds being sucked into jet engines.

If the engines stop working, the very last thing which the pilots will be worrying about is the reason *why* the engines stopped working.

Reply to
Nobody

qrk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

they don't always just "stop",the fans break and lose impeller blades and become imbalanced,tearing the engine apart. Those engines are turning at 50,000 RPM or more.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

RFI-EMI-GUY wrote in news:499b2558$0$17068$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

no,a Blue Screen of Death (MS trademark) on the cockpit displays,and then "Game Over".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Well..I tried.. At least I learned a bit about jet motors.

It's not as goofy as this idea: A metal detector on a home vacuum nozzle. The electronics show how much coinage got sucked up. Maybe at the $5.00 point, someone might go fishing for the change in the dust bag.. :P

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Another option would be to limit the diverter to handling large birds (those big enough to cause real damage), and do something else with the small ones.

It ought to be possible to design a post-turbine diverter, to deal gracefully with the remains of small birds sucked into the engine. The chopped and flash-cooked bodies could be spun out into a catch-basin of some sort, quick-frozen by the outside air, and stored until the plane lands. They could then be packaged and sold as dog food - a useful additional revenue source for airlines in these times of high operating expenses.

Spider Robinson proposed something vaguely along these lines some years ago. He even proposed a brand name for the new canine chow: "Wren din-din."

(grins, ducks, runs like hell)

Dave Platt

Funny... :)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

:Bird sucked into engine during take off.. :

:News report :
: :(Sweep up on runway 4!) : :If I were a pilot I'd like to have a little red light (or window pop :up for glass cockpit) if an object got sucked into an engine. : :Call it a bird strike light.. : :Here's how I imagine it: : :Some lasers, some photo detectors. If the beam gets broken, something :was sucked into the engine.. :(Hollywood burglar alarm style.) : :But I think the idea crashes when there's rain, cloud, fog, snow or :ice crystals getting sucked in. :Also, there might be ice and dirt on the optics. :So optical probably sucks. : : :D from BC :myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com :BC, Canada :Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

If a single small bird gets sucked into one engine then it will most likely not cause a problem, in much the same manner as a bug getting squashed on your car windscreen. If no problem does occur then knowing about it is probably of moot value as long as the plane keeps flying. If it does cause a problem then the plane will probably exhibit some abnormal behaviour and the pilot will know something is wrong. Having a bird strike detector is not going to help one iota after the event is it? Sort of the same if large bird hits your windscreen while driving at 110km/h. You are certainly going to know about it as you try to see through the smashed glass and avoid running off the road.

In the case of many birds, or a large bird getting sucked into each engine, then buddy, it doesn't matter if you have the most sophisticated bird strike detector in the world. You're still goin'down.....

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Other posters have made similar points..

It's kinda like a soldier that wears a 'got shot' bullet detector. :P Doesn't matter where the bullet came from, what type, velocity or direction...priority is finding medical care.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

In article ,=20 snipped-for-privacy@comic.com says...>=20

25 during WWII. =A0I think the crew

out the windscreen, smacked the pilot

gunner in his left shoulder.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

,

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

"It's a cell phone!" "No, it's a floor wax!" "It's both! It's New Shimmer..."

Reply to
krw

She's just sitting in for Helen Thomas... That's a very neat recycle though.

Reply to
ingvald44

Combined vacuumm cleaner and slot machine?

Spins the reels each time a coin is sucked up. 3 BARs and it coughs up all the change. 3 lemons and it coughs up all the dust.

Reply to
Nobody

Nice :)

That reminds me...although, not electronic, I thought of making a musical toy that fits on the vacuum side of a home vacuum. A vacuum flute or vacuum trumpet or whatever reverse air flow that works for bag pipe or orchardian type resonators. Fun for kids! Hell for the parents..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Yeah I guess if you put the vacuum outside. Noisy suckers.

Reply to
ingvald44

What about a bunch of knives across the front of the engine? That would reduce the "big bird" (sorry) thing, but I can't say what a bunch of little pieces ricocheting around would do...

Reply to
gabjsmo0

What thrust? That's an _intake_ cowl, ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:40:59 -0800, RST Engineering (jw) wrote: Rich Grise wrote: {top-post repaired]

Feh - the Cessnas I've flown could outmaneuver a seagull. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

While growing up, I always figured they had all that stuff figuired out about sucking into engines...

Having an extra rotary vane or two in front of the engine would certainly cut it up a bit.

greg

Reply to
GregS