"Bird Cage" Revisited

Many of you will recall several years ago I made a cage to prevent birds from nesting in an entryway chandelier...

Prevents nesting, but the !@#$%^&* birds still hang onto the wire grid and poop into the chandelier :-(

Since there has been recent discussion on S.E.D of flexible plastics, I was wondering if there's something available flexible enough to redo my "bird cage" so that the birds can't cling to it?

It's Spring in AZ, 85°F today, so my need is immediate ;-)

...Jim Thompson

  The stock market is down again.  Was it something HE said ?:-)

  1. Clear plastic.

  1. Bird spikes.

John

Of course.

Ugly, but I bought some for some strategic gutter problems... where it doesn't show.

I found, of all things, WINE tanks with conical bottoms, that it looks like I can cut up for my needs.

...Jim Thompson

With all this hope and change, all you need is a dab of mayonaisse
and you'll have a tasty lunch on which you will choke to death.

In message , Jim Thompson writes

Total win on all counts there then.

You could use fishing shock leader and strung to the ceiling in a conical fashion, transparent and very tough (100lb+ breaking strain leaders are available) so the birds would have to hang sideways.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Interesting idea! I haven't fished since I was a kid. What is "shock" leader?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

An engineer is supposed to have an inquisitive mind and question unproven theories. Leftist weenies have neither attribute. Their behavior is of a religious nature. Thus, like all religious nut- cases, they should be culled from the fraternity and dispatched.

Why are pigeons more valuable than owls? (That's a rhetorical question. I don't expect a sensible answer from PETA or anybody else. I prefer owls. There are plenty of pigeons.)

A year or two ago, there was a falcon that spent a lot of time on the top of the Palo Alto city hall building. At 9 stories, it was one of the taller places around. I assume it was checking out the local housing.

Local bird watchers thought this was a great idea. Lots of other locals were not supportive. The problem was that the falcon was dropping leftover pigeon bits down on the entranceway and it didn't pay much attention to wheather there were people there or not. Some of the locals were grossed out.

Back to the original question...

I saw some cones of flimsy plastic at the floral section of the supermarket tonight. They were big end up on some orchids or such.

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to

In message , Jim Thompson writes

It's heavy mono filament (60lb+) that's used to take the strain of the cast when you are using heavy weights for beach fishing. Two rod lengths attached to the main lighter line is plenty to take the shock of casting out a 4oz lead from behind your back. It's rather undesirable to have

4oz of possibly spiked lead flying uncontrolled because your main line wasn't up to it. (Spikes to grip in the sand against the tide)

I'm almost certain it's just 60lb+ mono filament line sold in small reels and can come in all sorts of funky colours as well as clear.

Reminds me, I must go fishing again....

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

[snip]

Thanks! I had not heard it called "shock" before, just leader.

...Jim Thompson

  The stock market is down again.  Was it something HE said ?:-)

Owls scare birds. An owl sculpture makes a good deterrent, especially if you can make its silhouette apparent against an uncluttered background (as seen from the air, of course).

Reply to
whit3rd

The Coast Guard uses spikes on navigation lights, seems to work great.

I just spent a few hours at a airport chock full of jets and light planes under awnings. Well stocked with plastic owls. The birds all nested on or near the planes with plastic owls. Ie you need a real owl that moves, or its ignored. What seemed to work best was partially inflated, soft, plastic, beach balls with huge eyes painted on them. Those hung on strings and moved in the wind.

I like the 15 khz 1 mA myself.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Now that is too funny. People needed to learn the feeding habits of the falcon, then they wouldn't have to worry about the pigeon bits.

Two photos for ya:

Caught this Red Tailed Hawk outside on the balcony of the RI State Library which is in the State House. I've been told he frequently lunches up there, his specialty is rabbit.

And here's on of a pigeon belly up and partially encased in ice.

I do know there are a pair of Red Tails that nest on the tower across from the park where this was taken.

Harbor Freight sells a plastic owl with a motion sensor for $14.99

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Michael A. Terrell

Reminiscent of the reported reply from the Duke of Wellington, when Queen Victoria remarked on the sparrows inside the Crystal Palace.

"Try sparrow-hawks, Ma'am"

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

Try razor wire. No more foolin' around.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Razor wire is for humans, idiot. The barbs are spaced far to far apart to have any affect on any birds.

You should set an alarm on your news client to remind you to proofread your stupidity BEFORE you post it. Maybe you'll have enough brains to catch how utterly stupid some of the CRAP you come up with is.

You're almost as bad as Obama.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Cant see it it says this page is private

can see the pigeon >

Reply to
F Murtz