Another moronic news report

A news report this afternoon related to a house fire. According to the reporter, the fault was thought to be attributable to an "overloaded power point, which was connected to a wide screen TV and DVD player". Yikes! I figure a worst case power consumption of 400 Watts! Overload? Not bloody likely. No mention of an air-con or a heater.

Trevor Wilson

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Yeah, you gotta watch those wide-screen TVs, they're death traps...

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Sure are. Too much TV watching and not enough exercise. Bound to kill you sooner or later. :P

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

**Only if the sucker is caught in a gust of wind and falls on you. Last one I installed was next to a mostly open door. I had to find some 150kg breaking strain stainless steel cable to secure it to a nearby wall. The client protested, but I couldn't leave it in all good conscience.

Trevor Wilson

Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Unless it is a Philips and then they catch fire all by themselves ;-)

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

No Trev, it was the owner that wanted to be chained to the wall, not the bloody TV set.

But this excuse for a fire starting, seems to always be, "an electrical fault" regardless. It's a convenient way of saying we don't know, and it's the easiest thing to write on the insurance claim. We had one up this way a while ago, The fact that the bloke was total pissed, and pasted out on the lounge, had nothing to do with the fact , that he died due to fumes generated by burning plastic. And he was known for using candles, as the power was disconnected. Guess what the cause of the fire was. Got it in one, A possible electrical fault bassett

Reply to
bassett

Special offer,, Anyone buying a Philips tellie also gets a free fire extinguisher, this offer only last as long as our supply of fire extinguishers . Please note, the extended warrenty plan, only covers the tellie

bassett

Reply to
bassett

Seriously though there are several instances of this from other manufacturers as well. Of course it is being played down and has been swept under the carpet ;-)

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT