Bird Strike Detector for Jets??

An accelerometer on jet engine mechanics might be difficult.

I was guessing an RF method of object detection in the air intake tube instead of an optical beams.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Why not just a deflector?

JF

Reply to
John Fields

John Fields wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

deflecting birds/objects deflects air flow just as well,perhaps even better.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If something got sucked into your engine, a little red light added to all of the other indications going on would juat be a distraction. Have you ever seen the inside of a jet cockpit?

Not to mention, the "Thump" would be pretty freaking obvious.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What freaking difference does it make? The investigation will tell us everything we need to know.

I swear, D, sometimes you sound almost like Skybuck.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You didn't hear this from me:

:-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

They've been trying to solve the bird strike problem since there have been jets.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

'Hello everyone...This is your pilot.. We're about to land.. If you look to your left, you'll see geese going through engine #1. btw..Our engine intake sensors indicate that on this flight a total of 12 birds were sucked into the engines. That's the most this week!'

Perhaps it might be set up like this: If an engine fails, the pilot can check if the ' object sucked into engine' indicator was tripped (if that's useful information).. It's possible the alert may only be useful on a flight recorder..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Jim posted that bird stuff was found in the engines. No electronics logged or detected anything flying into the engines.. Because that doesn't exist.. So I'm wondering why not..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

You read Skybucks posts???

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

Heh! Just yesterday I read an account of a bird strike on a B-25 during WWII. I think the crew din't need no device. An ibis (typically 10-20 pounds?) wiped out the windscreen, smacked the pilot in one eye, traveled through "the tunnel" and hit the top turret gunner in his left shoulder. "Blood and feathers everywhere."

--
Michael
Reply to

I read them. I figure he's about 14 and cut him some slack...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

It was announced by one of the NTSB examiners, that bird debris was, indeed, found in BOTH engines. Since there was a previous flight stall event on one of the engines, without debris, that question was "up in the air" ;-)

Why don't _you_ _design_ the sensor ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I think the crew

windscreen, smacked the pilot

left shoulder.

I'm just focusing on if it's useful to electronically detect birds being sucked into jet engines.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

k..I'll admit I read Skybucks posts too but don't tell anybody.. :)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

I did some contract work at Goodyear Aerospace back in the early '70's.

They used to shoot live chickens into windshields and engines until PETA "had a cow", and the government acquiesced and determined that elimination of chicken pain-and-suffering was more important than loss of human life ;-)

...Jim Thompson

       Lord protect me from queers, fairies and Democrats

[snip]

I think the crew

windscreen, smacked the pilot

left shoulder.

"Focusing"? More like "obsessing", IMNSHO ;-)

...Jim Thompson

WWII. I think the crew

windscreen, smacked the pilot

his left shoulder.

Nah... Just a curiosity thing. Next I'll be thinking about the 'Swiss Army Cellphone' with saw, knife, pliers, screwdrivers and of course it's a phone.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

In article , To-Email- snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com says...>

...even though the answer wasn't.

Like all weenies, he's waiting for someone else to do the work. He's in charge of problems, not solutions.

Reply to
krw

Unless there's some reason an already-dead chicken (killed in some reasonably clean and fast matter) provides different results, from an ethical viewpoint I wouldn't be using live chickens either.

Reply to
Joel Koltner