bird boxes and the like

I'm sure there must be other bird watchers out there.

I have a bird box fitted with a Pi Zero and a PiCam NOIR. The inside of the box is illuminated by a couple of IR LEDs. Live feed at:

The pictures are OK but I'd like to get colour.

Any advice on how tolerant birds are to having white light LEDs on 24/7 inside the box. I wouldn't want them to be scared off or discouraged because it doesn't get dark.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

You might get away with having a white LED that is only illuminated between an hour after sunrise to an hour before sunset. The birds might be fooled into thinking it is just sunlight leaking into the box. Something based on a resistive photocell should do the trick. Good luck with that project.

--
chrispam1@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
You're better off replying to this newsgroup.

I don't know but I gave up on watching my blue t*ts after dark because they're boringly asleep. Instead I drilled a large hole in one side of the box (away from the sun) and covered it inside and out with plastic from a milk carton. This let in a lot of light during the day an gave an excellent picture on just an ordinary camera. They didn't seem to mind.

They laid 10 eggs last spring, 9 hatched and one chick died. That left 8 young which fledged and left the nest.

You need to fasten the plastic and the camera very firmly and shield the wiring because blue t*ts suffer from attacks of sub-psychotic rage (I still don't know where the wide-angle converter went).

Incidentally, the nest box is occupied from New Year onwards at least so ideally a nest box should be in position from then.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Reply to

Not sure about all birds in general, but the ones that have taken one of my sheds as their own get very upset when I go in at night and turn the lights on for more than an minute or two. Similarly when I accidentally leave the lights on in the day and go out to switch them off at night.

They all fly around there wildly. Not sure what they're trying to do, but it's quite discouraging for anyone intending to do something in there.

The nature shows on TV all seem to use infrared light for filming birds at night.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

This is a good present idea for my mum or sister. How do you power it? What O/S image do you use? Do you find it needs much maintenance to stay online?

--
-Toby
Toby Newman

Hi Toby.

I power mine from an old (ie redundant) laptop power supply to deliver ~ 19volts down a length of 10A two core cable. The sort used for hedge trimmers or lawn mowers. I use such a high voltage and thick cable to compensate for the voltage drop of the longish runs to the garden.

At the camera end, this (highish) voltage is fed in to a buck dc-dc converter eg.

This delivers a good steady supply of 5volts to the pi Zero W, camera and LEDs. ( nb. DO NOT USE A 7805 voltage regulator. It'll get way too hot! )

Initially I used raspbian wheezy then later I have been using raspbian stretch but have updated to buster over the last week or so. All the cameras are headless Pi Zeros connected to my wifi network.

The image capture is handled by "motion" which can be downloaded from the repository. Sorry but it's a complex package and does have a significant learning curve. However, once set up it just runs and runs and runs.

The only maintenance is the occasional wipe of the camera lens to remove dirt. I also have a few local scripts to handle image archiving and SD card space management. Mainly run from cron.

The images can be seen on your local network at :8081 or you can configure your router to pass it to the internet via a virtual server. I usually copy the last day's images to a laptop using rsync and view them there using the application pix.

If you want further info please let me know and I'll help as best I can. One day I might even put it on a web page.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.
Reply to
nev young

Thanks for this, and the other comments. I have decided to try: Constant IR light as now. Plus white light that comes on at dawn and off at dusk as well as on for a few seconds when I take the hourly snap shot image. White light LED controlled via a gpio pin.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.
Reply to
nev young

An alternative, easy to use, package is:

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Reply to

Very true, very true indeed but that package does not support usb cameras. I have 3 PiCams and 7 usb cameras. I like to use the same package on them all.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.
Reply to
nev young

Have you seen this?

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to
Chris Elvidge

Erm. yes. You can see my name in some of the comments. :-)

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.
Reply to
nev young

Sorry. Didn't read it. It just showed up in my email.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

Cool, so do I have this right: Connect the 19V across the inputs, then a large resistor across the outputs, and use a multimeter to watch the voltage drop across the large resistor while twisting the potentiometer with a screwdriver until it matches 5V, then replace the resistor with the Raspberry Pi?

--
-Toby
Toby Newman

staggeringly bad way to do it

read what he said. "this (highish) voltage is fed in to a buck dc-dc converter eg.

This delivers a good steady supply of 5volts to the pi Zero W, camera and LEDs."

--
?Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

    -  John K Galbraith
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or pick up one of the solid state DC-DC converters from eBay up to 22v input, 5v and up to 3A out, e.g.

You can get them with bare wires or pay a quid or two more to get one with prefitted USB output sockets.

They seem to be designed for lads wanting to bling up their cars with LEDs. I've been using one for two years now to run a Medion PNA in my glider, powering it off the main 12v supply. Never any problems: it 'just works'.

Pay a bit more and you can get a smaller, panel mount unit with two USB sockets: in its flush face. Cut a hole in a panel to match the converter diameter, drop it in and screw down the ring it comes with to mount it.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

I find there is no need for the resistor.

There are probably as many solutions as there are people in this group. Personally I went for the variable ones because:

1 they're cheaper and 2 I sometimes want to power other stuff e.g. 3.3, 6 and 9 volt stuff.

Happy new year every one and may all your projects work as well as you would wish.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.
Reply to
nev young

I think perhaps I omitted some words and you misunderstood my meaning. et me rephrase:

Connect the 19V across the inputs of the buck dc-dc converter, then a large resistor across the outputs of the buck dc-dc converter, and use a multimeter to watch the voltage drop across the large resistor while twisting the potentiometer on the buck dc-dc converter with a screwdriver until it matches

5V, then replace the resistor with the Raspberry Pi?
--
-Toby
Toby Newman

Yes.Or alternatively buy a custom 5V only converter. Doesn?t need to be buck from 19v

These thongs produced in thousands to allow model avionics to work from a motor pack that can be up to 50V

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what I like to see: thousands of thongs - not the Australian variety.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

And the ability to produce 5V in erotic places is the killer feature

--
?The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.?

Herbert Spencer
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher