Arre these whiskers?

decadence.org:

you set the tone: "I didn't say halogenated, dipshit. I said BROMINATED."

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Likewise hydrofluoric acid can be fatal. Spill some on your skin and use a ll the remedies you want to deal with the acid burn, you may die because it is readily absorbed through the skin and reacts with calcium in the blood to cause cardiac arrest.

In my first job as a chemist one of the other inmates decided to etch beake rs with his name. He didn't get hurt, but I doubt he really appreciated th e hazard.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

ol

all the remedies you want to deal with the acid burn, you may die because it is readily absorbed through the skin and reacts with calcium in the bloo d to cause cardiac arrest.

there are some stupidly dangerous chemicals

she got a few drops of dimethylmercury on her latex glove, a few months lat er she was in a coma 12 months later dead

this guys has an interesting list:

with

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

JPG

or

ocol

se all the remedies you want to deal with the acid burn, you may die becaus e it is readily absorbed through the skin and reacts with calcium in the bl ood to cause cardiac arrest.

ater she was in a coma 12 months later dead

k-with

This makes me recall a story a professor told us about another professor at a different university who had a grad student working on a new compound. After a few weeks he got sick, entered the hospital and after some time die d without the doctors knowing what killed him. The professor set up anothe r grad student to work in a hood and wear protective clothing just in case the compound had anything to do with the first grad student's death. After a few weeks that student became ill, entered the hospital and died, again, without the doctors figuring out what was wrong. We were told that profes sor had another grad student work with the same compound in a laminar flow hood with the same result.

I think I remember the story because I had never heard of a laminar flow ho od and my professor told us what that was. It is designed to not have any backwash of the air entering the hood. But nothing is perfect and whatever that compound was a very small exposure was still very dangerous.

I made the mistake of googling for this accident. I didn't find it because it would have been some 50 years ago, but in the articles I did find there seem to be a lot of accidents, fatal even, on college campuses.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Tin pest?

Does the grey stuff melt if you heat it?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Oct 2019 16:38:44 +1100) it happened Sylvia Else wrote in :

Yes that is what I meant with 'whiskers'

Have not tried, I took the thing apart and noticed the mechanical construction is horrible, if you turn the rotary switch (mode select and on/off), then that bends the PCB, as they omitted any mechanical support. That plus the bad soldering causes dry joints (bad contacts). On top of that they use a flex PCB to the clamp that is squeezed badly

The PCB under the rotary switch on the left (that presses onto it) is not supported. Only 3 screws on the right.

Well, I got it cheap :-)

Soldering job for a rainy day...

At a reasonably hourly rate buy a new one (of different make).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:qnrqqh$n0r$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That is the way to go. Heat up the entire PCB to about 60 C. That is like 120F. Let that soak it up for a few minutes (about 5 to 7)

Also heat up your 91% alcohol. I use a microwave in 5 to 10 second spurts. It boils pretty quickly. Do not be a smoker.

That will solve the stuff easier and wash away easier and evaporate easier.

All three elements make for a cleaner board and your leakage problem will disappear.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

A colourful and unashamed public display of ignorance if ever there were one.

Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:qnsg74$q3a$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yes, and if you were not such a dumbfuck, you would have noticed where I acknowledged the correction. On the very next post even.

But no, you just want to spew what amounts to your ignorance.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's an unfortunate fact that chemists tend to have a lower life expectancy than other comparable professions.

Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:qnsk1q$q3a$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It is a famous case. It changed lab procedural policy around the world.

And I think it was a single drop. And she did not merely go into a coma. She acquired cancer. It was decidely the worst three months of her life, and THEN came the pain and the coma and terminal condition.

And she was far more than a mere "chemist".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

decadence.org:

did you not read the wiki?

"Approximately three months after the initial accident Wetterhahn began exp eriencing brief episodes of abdominal discomfort and noted significant weig ht loss. The more distinctive neurological symptoms of mercury poisoning, i ncluding loss of balance and slurred speech, appeared in January 1997, five months after the accident.[6] At this point, tests proved that she had a d ebilitating mercury intoxication.[2][3][5] Her urinary mercury content had

ic level is > 50 ?g/L.[6]

Despite aggressive chelation therapy, her condition rapidly deteriorated. T hree weeks after the first neurological symptoms appeared, Wetterhahn lapse d into what appeared to be a vegetative state punctuated by periods of extr eme agitation.[6] One of her former students said that "Her husband saw tea rs rolling down her face. I asked if she was in pain. The doctors said it d idn't appear that her brain could even register pain."[5] Wetterhahn was re moved from life support and died on June 8, 1997, less than a year after he r initial exposure.[6] "

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It is much tighter now. I my youth we made most of the fulminates as well as silvering mirrors and I was into B-Z chemical clocks and dyes. Most exotic thing I had made was 24DNPO (cyalume glostick patent) - which funnily enough was recrystallised from nitrobenzene.

I once drank green tea in a Japanese clean room surrounded by semiconductor grade HF and HNO3 in stills. I couldn't really refuse it.

HF is one thing you should never handle without the antidote gel nearby.

The HF safety film is one of a handful that often inflicts casualties on its audience as big hefty welders keel over after seeing HF burns.

The other bad one is "wear eye protection" extracting a mild steel splinter from an eyeball with a powerful electromagnetic pulse.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in news:d4250ac5- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I did not need to read the wiki. I was in San Diego and saw the case break the news and followed it from the beginning.

YOU needed to read the wiki. I spoke from memory.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You act like you're surprised.

Reply to
krw

15 May, 2012 This fine reagent was mentioned here (disparagingly) in the comments the

their unsupportable stenches.

Remember the old selenuim rectifiers from the '40s and '50s? And the stench when they failed?

"Selenium rectifiers are allso semiconductor devices but amorphouse. In old days we used to say taht each plate of rectifier can whithstand about 30V of reverse voltage and that each square centimeter of it's surface can whitstand 100mA of current. You should count number of plates connected in series and calculate area of plate. One of the characteristics of selenium rectifier is: they have about 30-50V voltage drop when they are designed for 250V AC."

"And another peculiarity about selenium rectifiers is that they require the evacuation of the room if accidentally (or deliberatly :twisted:) shortened"

Steve Wilson

Your quoting is incorrect--I didn't write that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Phil Hobbs wrote in news:qnuk24$qmr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

the

Sorry bout that, Phil.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On a sunny day (Mon, 14 Oct 2019 07:55:37 +0300) it happened LM wrote in :

Thank you. Got it working again, but for how long?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje