What is it?

I had an older model Dremel (260) rotary tool throw a brush, which shorted out and fried the switch assembly. Repair parts are no longer available for this model. I can replace the slide switch, but replacing the 3/4"x1/2"x1/4' black electronic component that is part of the switch assembly, wired-in between the slide switch and the motor brushes, is a problem.

I don't know what it is or what it does, but I took it completely out of the circuit, tested across the two inputs with an ohm meter, and got a solid connection, which I don't think should be the case.

If I could find a current day replacement for this component, I think I could revive this tool.

The mystery component has KBP04-1 printed on one side, with (+ AC

-) printed underneath it, then 7237 is printed on the other side.

I'd also like to know what it is and what function it serves.

Would it be possible to wire directly from the motor brushes to 120V and have the motor work?

I would plug it in to a light dimmer switch to control off/on and the speed.

Reply to
Teflon
Brendan Gillatt

Its a very common failure in that device. You could do as you suggested and control the speed externally.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Marked with "+" "AC" and "-" ? sounds kinda like a rectifier to me? KBP04 sorta sounds like a bridge rectifier PN to me..

http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/dccomponents/RS203.pdf

Looks like a common single phase bridge rectifier to me. :)

Reply to
PhattyMo