Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is ?

On my PC, I got it set to not adjust for DST. The reason is, didn't they ch ange the dates recently ? I didn't notice but I heard that. So I figure I w ould set it myself. It's within a minute.

But when I post here it usually says "posted one hour ago", and today it sa id "posted 59 minutes ago".

So it picks up the time from MY computer for this ? Why ?

Maybe some programmer in here can tell me why the time on my PC is consider ed in this "ago" figure. It makes no sense. Just take the real time, and th en figure me GMT minus five (or is it minus sicx now with DST ?) and then p roduce the result.

is this the product of laziness on the programmers or what ? Of course it m ay be the faxct thart this is a Vista box, and really, I haven't noticed on my old XP box bcasue I don't get on that all that much, it's more of a hou se server to me. Print server as well, that thing is too damn big to bring up out the basement. So it sits there with almost a terabyte of storage ava ilable for whatever I might find. It also has all my really old shit.

But I digress. there's one Canadian site I go to and it always reports the time an hour off. I attributed it to that they don't use DST. But Google ce rtainly knows where I am, and should...

know what time it is.

No ?

Reply to
jurb6006

OOPS, it always reports the time an hour off NOW that we are in DST. The rest of the time it reports correctly.

I need an "edit" button sometimes.

Reply to
jurb6006

Because it can. You can run a time synchronisation task if it bothers you and remember to set your true geographic location. Headers show:

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:28:03 -0700 (PDT)

My system translates that into GMT as

And I see it as 17:28:04 +0100 BST local time.

Setting windows not to adjust for DST is just asking for trouble.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

There is a program called TimeZoneEdit, or such, smallish works on Win98 and WinXP

Which allows you to go and change the dates for the 'automatic' updates to coincide with the new dates.

One trick after you set the dates you MUST change the timezone you're in and then change back to your actual time zone. Don't know why, just a quirk.

Reply to
RobertMacy
[...]

Consultant's answer: Gimme your watch and I'll tell you :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I use SocketWatch...

which is within a fraction of a second of the time shown on my cell phone. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

A spellchecker and proof reading goes a long way. Mikek

amdx

If you'd like, I cna give you details about what is wrong with my eyesight, which is the reason for this, and the reason I can't read too long of articles.

Floaters. More floaters than you can imagine. Visual accuity is not the main issue here, otherwise I would go to Walmart (ugh) and get a pair of glasses and be done with it.

the main problem is that I almost cannot stand to look at the PC screen. CRT or LCD, doesn't matter. Too long and my eyes water.

As far as I have heard, there is little if anyhting they can do for me.

Reply to
jurb6006

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 09:28:03 -0700 (PDT) Injection-Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 16:28:04 +0000 those two timestamps are in agreement, yes, when you view a post it seems that your the displayed age of the message is computed on your system.

why not?

eg: if you leave the page open the age can auto-update

there's no universal rule for that... I'm seeing 7 in your headers but that may not be representative of you.

this way it lets you know you have the wrong timezone set on your PC,

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

- YD.

Reply to
Yngve

Never can figure out what time it is...seems to change EVERY second..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Easily fixed: Have you tried writing it down on a piece of paper?

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Reply to
krw

jurb6006

Wait...i wrote it down _somewhere_ ...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Chicago?

Reply to
krw

Sounds right, where the mayor decides how many billion to whine about for their ongoing rape of the area.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It is probably lack of consideration of the wider global implications of some programmers. In my view, all computers should be synchronised to UTC and work out what they display locally based on the time zone they are in. All measures of time would be against the UTC value only. Usenet and other world spanning fora could use a time zone marker (+/-h) to provide the time zone related information.

Regards

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET Systems Engineer

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E Bennett

Win XP or anything better all support that. (dunno about earlier NT versions)

They do, it's started with RFC-822 section 5.1 but in more recent standards,like RFC-5322 (section 3.3) the Americanims have been declared obsolescent. (it's kind of bckwards from what you describe - local time with offset - but that seems more useful for most purposes)

ISO-8601 is another similar standard.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Isn't it wonderful, having SO many "standards"? Pick a different one every day... I will use that piece of paper where i wrote down the time, _IF_ i can find it...

Reply to
Robert Baer