Anyone hear of a 120V clothes dryer? (2023 Update)

3 sizes in 1

Reply to
Tabby

I find it a bit remarkable that you would use cooled water for the purpose of boiling rice...

When preparing meals, I take out all the stuff that is going to be used up and the things I require for preparation (like butter) all in one opening, place the partly used items back in a second (sometimes taking out more things at that same time), and sometimes may require a third or even fourth one when forgetting something or when something is required way later in the preparation.

Try paying attention to it and you can probably reduce the number of openings as well.

Also it is obvious why you now can get fridges with an internal camera and a screen outside on the door, so you can look what is in there without opening it. :-)

Reply to
Rob

Here in the Netherlands metal conduits have not been used in houses for at least half a century... electrical installations use pvc tubes, at first they were rigid tubes that you could easily bend when fitted with a spring inside them to prevent buckling. There also were ready made corner pieces you could fit between straight sections.

But today, the pipe is much more flexible, it is more like a hose, and you can just string it along the desired path. Which is usually in concrete, behind plasterboard, or otherwise out of sight.

Even water distribution is done this way. Much faster and easier to install than rigid pipe.

Reply to
Rob

Rob snipped-for-privacy@example.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@xs9.xsall.nl:

All of my filtered water and my water filter pitcher is at room temp.

I pour over ice if I want super cold drink of water. Fridge also contains soda so I usually drink those.

The water is for pasta, rice, and boiled veggies and COFFEE of course. I do not drink covfefe.

PFAS is a very real thing. Ooops, my finger slipped off the keys... I don't have much in me...

Soylent Green is PFAS... it's PFAS...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's *filtered* water (read post upthread). The "obvious" choice of using HOT water from the tap is a worse choice! The difference in time required to bring it to a boil is insignificant (it's a small volume). And, HOT water has been sitting in a large tank that likely contains sediment accumulated over decades (a water pitcher is emptied as part of its normal use)

That's how I *bake*. But, there is only one person involved in baking -- we don't *share* that duty. So, only one person trying to access the various appliances and supplies in the kitchen -- not two people trying to coordinate their actions soas not to impede each others goals.

To what end? Reducing an electric bill that I'm already tolerant of?

You'd not be able to see everything in the frig. *I* can't when I have the door open!

There are ~11 "resealable storage containers" in the frig at this moment. They are made of a semitransparent ("cloudy") plastic. There are

4 of one size (short and fat), 3 of another (about twice as tall but half as wide) and 2 of yet another size (the second size at half height) and two more oversized containers.

I can tell which one has Bolognese sauce in it because it is red-ish. Another has shredded cheese -- which I would have guessed as I *know* we always keep shredded Romano in a container of that type. The third happens to have Mozarella in it -- but, it could just as easily have had "excess" Romano (cuz we purchase Romano in a chunk and shred it ourselves -- never quite sure how much volume the shredded result will occupy). If I'd guessed Romano, then I would have needlessly taken another package of Mozarella out of the freezer to make tonight's pizza and now be faced with storing a *second* package of Mozarella.

Of the largest, one has the uncut portion of the jicama that we used in yesterday's lunch (?). The other has grapes surrounded by a paper towel. So, just staring at images of them (both *inside* the produce drawer) would leave me clueless as to what's in either.

The set of 4 have leftover bamboo slices, peach slices, "brown" mushrooms and walnut bark (I just checked). From outside, I can tell that the peaches and bamboo slices don't have chocolate or mushrooms inside them (the color of their contents being too light). But, beyond that, I'd have to rely on memory of what I'd put in them.

The smallest two identical containers have olives and another type of mushroom.

But, I only KNOW this because I was able to take each container out of the frig and examine it (without opening) more closely.

The 4 jars of benne wafers are completely invisible from the outside of the frig as they are "behind" other items on the bottom shelf. As is the second container of yogurt (as the first one is almost empty), a container of cottage cheese, several jars of sweet relish and a *6* pound container of prepared mustard (costs twice as much as the 1 lb container of the same brand).

It's a complete mystery what's hiding in the produce or deli drawers. Do I need to purchase more Asiago cheese for her when I run to the store? Dunno, let me open the frig, then open the deli drawer, then dig through the items within to see if there's any Asiago remaining...

Smart refrigerators make sense if they can *know* their contents. E.g., by knowing your recent purchases and observing the items as you load them. Just showing me a still image of WHAT A CAMERA CAN SEE is no better than having a glass door in place.

[My home automation system actually allows (does not REQUIRE) a user to scan the items they have purchased as they place them in the frig, pantry, etc. This to facilitate life for folks who can't easily *inspect* what they have on hand. (think blind, confined to a wheelchair, etc.) Or, *remember* what's "back home" when a friend offers to stop at the grocery store on their way home: "Do you need anything at the grocery store? We can stop there before I drop you off at your house...?" Likewise, allow a caregiver to track what you're out of without first inspecting your pantry!]
Reply to
Don Y

Most hotwater systems here are passthrough heaters that store only a liter or two of water and heat the remainder on-demand. Temperature of such a system has to be 50C or more (60C in some countries). But I usually take the water from the cold tap. There is no need for it to be filtered here, and quality controls on tap water are better than on bottled water.

There is no need to be paranoid about it but usually it takes only a short time to get used to a more efficient lifestyle. Even when it does not reduce your bill, it still reduces waste of resources.

I have not studied these, maybe they are available with 12 internal cameras, I don't know.

Reply to
Rob

So, the hot water is cleaner than the cold water as evident from the sediment that has been removed from the water by the tank.

Still a filter will probably be be a further improvement.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Specious reasoning. The pitcher will be EMPTIED several times a day so anything that manages to "settle" will be flushed -- if not discarded' when the filter is replaced.

The water heater is NEVER emptied. (some folks recommend draining it annually, others recommend AGAINST doing so)

The water heater is 4 (5?) ft tall, fed from the top and *feeds* from the top. So, sediments that manage to accumulate there will likely never leave the tank. That says nothing of materials that actually

*do* leave the tank.

All of the water dispensed by the pitcher passes through its filter.

*None* of the hot water does.

Which is why the pitcher is used.

Reply to
Don Y

If so you failed to refute it.

Do you see where I mentioned the pitcher above? THAT IS SIGNIFICANT. I'm just talking cold vs hot, not secondary filtration.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

It may look like that from the outside, but I assure you there is an internal pipe that feeds the cold water to the bottom of the tank and takes out the hot water from the top, trying to stir it as little as possible. That way, when you get hot water from the tank (and replace that with cold water) you will not get a mix of hot and cold water at ever decreasing temperature. Hot water tends to rise to / remain at the top and the cold water sticks to the bottom, where it is heated most by the heater. So when you use water, there is a net (but small) vertical flow in the tank.

Reply to
Rob

499 posts about laundry, so I have the honor of making it 500!
Reply to
jlarkin

And I just crossed 10,000 emails in my Outlook junk folder! What a day!

Reply to
jlarkin

I wash my dishes that way, and I can assure you that I do not spend nearly near 30 seconds per item. That is a long time!

I normally put everything I have used during that meal in the sink, then start picking up items and cleaning them under the water flow using a sponge. By the time I have picked up and cleaned half of the items, the water flowing down over the other items in the sink has already partly cleaned those, so the last items are even quicker to clean than the first ones.

Using maximum flow is not very productive, it just makes a bigger mess.

Reply to
Rob