Dryer Drum

Help me please someone. I have an GE dryer and we put the belt on that had broke but we cannot get the drum back on. I cannot afford to get a repair person to put it back on for me. Could someone please try and explain it to me. I have been with out the dryer for about 5 months and I am going insane trying to put drum back on. hank you all inadvance.

Belinda N

--
squab18
Reply to

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to remount the drum while the belt is already around the motor pulley, and therefore under tension. If so, remove the belt from the motor pulley, mount the drum in the felt surround, and then put the belt around the motor pulley.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Is there any adjustment for belt tension? Moving the motor?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

squab18 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com:

put belt on drum only, mount drum,

(move adjustment of tension for slack if not already done. either spring tensioner or motor mount)

put belt on drive shaft and adjust tension.

me

There's usually a spring loaded tensioner (which BTW, one should treat with respect as it has sent people to the ER).

It's not clear what his problem really is though.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Two very good appliance repair websites:

has exploded views of appliances, including some non-Sears ones.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Almost every dryer I've seen (maybe a dozen...I'm no appliance repairman) has a hinky little tensioner which sits on the bottom of the dryer. It's held in place by a couple of tabs and the tension of the belt. Without tension, the piece falls into the bottom of the dryer.

I've always put everything in place: belt, tensioner, motor, drum; then held the drum up through the dryer door while I replaced the front...being careful not to crimp or dislodge the felt gasket. It's a juggling act, but unless there's an access panel below the dryer door (rare, but I've seen that); I can't imagine any other way to do it.

BTW, the threading procedure for that tensioner really threw me the first tried to do it. I had to search high and low for a diagram for it all to come together in my mind. Briefly, the belt goes around the drum and the loose slack is passed *through* a slot in the tensioner and then around the motor pulley. For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out....

There must be other motor/belt/drum schemes, but this is certainly the most common, IME.

jak

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

This is the way I've done it, on several different makes and models, in the past. I haven't done this type of work for several years, but I don't think that things would have changed much.

... Johnny

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Reply to
Johnny Boy

It's an easy thing to get messed up. You have to make sure it sits properly on the little wheels and line up with the felt or plastic slide on the front panel. Put the belt on the drum, replace the drum, thread the belt around the motor pulley and idler so the idler puts tension on the belt. Put a good light source in there so you can SEE what he hell you are doing. Careful not to pinch your fingers. I hope you have it unplugged. Turn it back and forth to make sure the wheels are tracking properly. Put on the front cover while your hand is inside the drum holding it up a little. You can also mess up the collar that goes around the drum opening, careful! You shouldn't get any pounding or scraping noises when it runs otherewise you have to take it apart again and redo your work. At least no more thumping than you had before. Your messing with the dryer could invalidate your fire insurance.

--
50% of all statistics are wrong. The rest don't matter.

Claude Hopper
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Clyde Crashcup