White Knight tumble dryer - drum not turning

Heater comes on no problem (so its not the thermal switch).

When I take belt off the motor does not turn until I give it a slight nudge. If I put the belt back on I still cant get the drum to turn (probably because I cant turn it fast enough to start the motor up).

Could this be the capacitor? I've heard that this type of motor uses the capacitor to kick start the motor.

To be honest, it started happening but if you left it for 30 mins it would then work OK (capacitor charging?). Now thought theres nothing.

My wife insists though that occasionally the dryer stopped half way through. I know its a reverse action so I was wondering if this could be explained by the motor needing to stop and then restart in the opposite direction (using the capacitor).

Any ideas ?

Reply to
paulfoel

None at all ..... but the drum's knackered in ours (makes one hell of a clunk on each revolution)) So if you're scrapping it .......

;-)

--

J B
Reply to

You might want to ask on a.e.electrical - as it is more an electrical problem than electronics or diy.

I'm not sure what type of motor this machine has - but would go looking for brush-holders and worn brushes. BICBW

--
Sue
Reply to

The capacitor is easy to test. What rating is written on it? Assuming it's a mains one, connect it in series with a mains light bulb (something between 40W and 100W), and the light should come on, but not as bright running directly off the mains. Beware in case the capacitor case has become live in some internal failure.

However, the nature of the fault you describe sounds to me more like a broken motor winding. Capacitors don't usually fail intermitently.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Reply to

If I can't fix ours, you're quite welcome to the drum out of mine (if you pay for the postage!)

Reply to
paulfoel

8 micro Farrad
Reply to
paulfoel

Where are you?

--

J B (N.E Shropshire)
Reply to

Newport, S. Wales

Reply to
paulfoel

Dunno what type of motor would be fitted.

It could be the capacitor (If it has one). They dry out over a period of time and go open/short circuit. You should be able to get a new one for £3 to £4.

If the motor has brushes these could be worn, or the corresponding commutator dirty.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

So that's an impedance of 398 ohms at 50Hz, so a 60W 240V lamp in series should be around half brightness if the capacitor is working. If it's not working, lamp will be fully on or fully off (depending on the capacitor's failure mode).

If you need a new capacitor, one source would be an electrical wholesaler, who will stock them as power factor correction capacitors for fluorscent fittings and HID lamps.

Actually, just checked CPC catalogue, and there are a few designated as motor run capacitors... CA00003 @ £3.95 (metal case, 1/4" tabs), CA00010 @ £3.35 (plastic case, 1/4" tabs), CA00019 @ £3.65 (plastic case, flying leads). All these are 8µF, 440VAC (which is fine for mains), with a mounting stud on the base.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Reply to

Whats the difference between a motor run and a motor start capacitor ?

Reply to
paulfoel

Whats the difference between a motor run and a motor start capacitor ?

None... the difference is the motor the capacitors are the same.

Reply to
powerstation

Yes, the capacitor failed in ours. You could tell by the smell, though. I'm not sure if it was our current machine (white knight) or the previous.

Spares for our white night were readily available by phone from the manufacturer last time I needed any.

--
  B Thumbs
  Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Bugger. Just paid =A312 inc delivery of =A36 for a motor start capacitor online. Could have got a motor run capacitor of the same for =A34 in maplins.

Reply to
paulfoel

Bugger. Just paid £12 inc delivery of £6 for a motor start capacitor online. Could have got a motor run capacitor of the same for £4 in maplins.

The White Knight is a run capacitor system i.e. the start and run windings are both energized when the motor is running. A capacitor start motor is usually much bigger and has a means of disconnecting the start winding and capacitor once the motor is running, either by the starter or a centrifugal switch.

Reply to
powerstation

mf5055 when you take the belt off you have too turn the motor alittle befor it works simple baad motor

--
mf5055
Reply to

Almost certainly the motor is faulty, probably starting windings failed, but check the motor connector for poor or burnt contacts.

Ron(UK)

--

www.lunevalleyaudio.com
Reply to

It's either the capacitor itself, the starting switch if present, or a fault in the motor. I'd check the switch first, if that works then replace the capacitor, if it still won't start then it's probably the start winding in the motor.

Reply to
James Sweet

No it's not, while you can use an oil filled run capacitor as a start capacitor, you *cannot* use an electrolytic start capacitor as a run capacitor. Start capacitors are rated only for momentary use.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ah, that's a PSC (permanent split capacitor) motor. Low starting torque but simple, cheap, and generally reliable.

Reply to
James Sweet