4-20mA Precision Source Ideas

Of course you have to wonder if John actually draws schematics that way. Maybe he does and the staff cleans them up. (After all, MIL stuff _has_ to be drawn to their standards.)

I suggest that John just argues a weird position just to hear his head roar (or ring, or drool, as the case may be ;-) ...Jim Thompson

It also doesn't support the concept of text alignment -- with some schematic capture programs, when you place text there's a little 3x3 box (or something else comparable) that lets you specifically if you want the text to be left-, center-, or right- justified horizontally and top-, center- or bottom-justified vertically: This way if you have, e.g., text on the left and right sides of a box, if you change the text it expands the in correct direction: Away from the box rather than into it, which requires you to then go and manually move the text.

This limitation also makes on wary of using text on ORCAD symbols: When you rotate or mirror them, ORCAD doesn't know how to properly render that rotated or mirrored text specifically because it's lacking such alginment information... and hence you end up with text in the wrong spot or even upsidedown or backwards. (It does, at least, know what to do with pin names due to their crude-but-usable model of, "all pins much be placed around the perimeter of a rectangualr bounding box.")

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Anyone _ever_ had trouble reading my PSpice Schematics? (See all those PDF's on the SED page of my site.) ...Jim Thompson

*ARE*

There actually is a Standard (IEEE-315) such as it is. It includes so many variations that it is practically useless. I will post some individual pages (out of 453) just as soon as i can get my box to print individual pages from the whole: Just got it. Title / Cover attached.

Reply to
josephkk

That's the hot carrier!

John

BSEE, Tulane. How about you?

John

Is CR still the "standard" designator for a diode? I know that "D" is for "dynamotor." Gotta follow them rules!

John

Could be, I suppose. I wonder how many companies are still required to use MIL standards? -- We have various contracts with military contractors (i.e., we're a military sub-sub-sub-contractor), and by the time the design requirements filter down to us, schematic drawing standards are no longer specified.

Could be. One of the things that attracts people to Usenet, I think, is that they like to hear diverse positions and then potentially debate them!

I'm guilty of taking debate class in college as one of my liberal arts electives for that reason. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I don't know. I'm pretty sure that the "dot" convention is exactly as John Fields states. I know I avoid "4-way" dots at all costs... don't quite know when I picked up on that... further back than I can remember. What's not standard is a lot of the dumb-ass IEEE symbols.

My grandfather on my mother's side was fond of taking an opposing argument... no matter what. And he was good at it :-) Drove me nuts.

And my son-in-law, the prosecutor, enjoys showing up in court with a couple of law books in hand, just to enjoy taunting the opposition... and the judge. He's good at it, to the point that the law colleges in Arizona bring their classes to watch when Jim Coil is summing up :-) ...Jim Thompson

BSSE (Bullshit Sanitation Engineer), Cracker Jax.

Reply to
krw

And it only puts sheets within schematics in alphabetical order (why it doesn't do it by page number is a mystery). Schematics also get placed in alpha order. I generally use something like "01- Wavefor DAC", so it comes out in front of "10- Buffers".

The software is for the dweebs. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Dynamotor? You kidding? Do they still make those things?

John

Reply to
John KD5YI

Nobody has ever required us to use any schematic standards. Few of our customers ever see schematics, although I ususlly furnish them on request.

I draw schematics the way I stated, and I didn't think the style was controversial. I posted some real, formally released ones, which I'd hardly generate just for disputation. I've done schematics for a lot of companies, for NASA and military and National Labs and aerospace, and it's all pretty much the same. Nobody has complained about format so far.

It's that old hen JF and his new love AlwaysWrong who ignored the topic (this thread started talking about 4-20 mA circuits) and went ballistic about connection dots. I wanted to talk about 4-20 circuits.

College debating only uses the subject as a substrate for debate itself. The issues and sides are even assigned. I want to talk about electronics.

Did you do that weirdsuperfasttalking thing? That is *so* strange. Our debates involve extended silences, so people can stop and think.

John

Pro or Con? >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The depths of your utter stupidity knows no bounds.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

That's what *he* calls what he does.

We have already established that you are a layman level idiot.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

You could not be more full of shit.

You "do not really apply".

I cannot believe the level of stupidity you "Johnny Larkin's retard band wagon" dolts come up with.

You could not be more incorrect. It is, in fact, one of the FIRST things an engineer learns is NOT permitted.

If you and he or anyone else thinks that standards and conventions are "optional" or can be cast aside at will, then you and anyone else that thinks that are NOT engineers.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

I have bought several micro-fiche schematics for some of my gear, back in the 80s. Of course, now they are all digitized, not filmed.

No longer though. We live in a throw away society.

My 100W x 7 channel stereo was less than $300. If it breaks, I'll by a new $400 110W x 7 job that is even better than the last.

The repair on the other would likely run more than half it's original cost.

SO, I don't buy the schems any more, and I don't waste my time fixing anything any more. Hell, I have only had a couple things break over the years.

But the schematics ARE available, you just have to pursue it.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

The fact that you do not know is quite a tell.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

The first thing that I learned is not permitted is violating conservation of energy. As far as I'm concerned, that's still about the only thing still not allowed.

In five years of EE school, I don't recall anybody mentioning schematic drawing styles.

Where did you go to school?

John