4-20mA Precision Source Ideas

In theory. It depends on what is accepted. Some people just don't care as long as the netlist is OK. I don't like that attitude. BTW I've seen situations where the CAD package interpreted this junction as an east-south and north-west connection after moving some components. Later versions of the CAD package insert the dots automatically.

Personally I wouldn't create a schematic where four lines end up joint because it is harder to read the diagram and the dot may wear off on a copy from a copy from a copy.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

No, it's "please".

Can't you read?
Reply to
John Fields

I used to work with a shipyard that had a "lofting room" where they did drawings of ship parts 1:1. They had huge sheets of vellum on the floor, and walked on them in their sox, and kneeled to draw. They had plenty of room to do N-ways on their schematics.

They also had a cute little robotic line follower thing, predecessor to R2D2, that was realtime interfaced to a flame cutter.

John

[snip]

Larkin's mother never kissed him when she put him to bed, just, "Shut up kid!" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

PADS won't allow a 3 or 4 wire tee connection without a dot. And it won't allow near-miss connections, as Orcad and LT Spice do. A schematic wire, or pcb copper, segment must be connected on both ends or it snaps back into oblivion. We never make schematic or PCB connection errors using PADS.

But nobody does copies of copies of copies any more. Everybody prints from a PDF, if they print at all. And laser printers have phenomenal resolution and quality. Dots just don't get lost anymore.

Why follow obsolete conventions? Why not adjust to the tools that are available nowadays?

John

Ah, but it seems we've cornered a rat in the henhouse this time.
Reply to
John Fields

Your insulting my wife, and now my mother, serve only to demonstrate what a disinhibited asshole you are. That happens as people get senile. It also shows how far you'll go to avoid saying anything on topic, where your incompetance would be apparent.

Looks like you've accumulated allies: JF and AlwaysWrong. The Henhouse Trio, with apologies to Ernie Kovacs.

John

All clucking, no electronics. Nothing to say about 4-20 mA circuits.

Useless, frightened old hen.

John

And missing badly. Anything to avoid the topic here.

Done any good 4-20 mA circuits? Show us.

John

So this guy undergoes a series of Rorschach tests, and at the end the
psychiatrist informs him that he has an obsession with sex.

"Me???" exclaims the guy, "It's you whose been showing me dirty
pictures!"
Reply to
John Fields

One of my favorites... only surpassed by the French movie short subject that ends with the punch line, "What woman?" ...Jim Thompson

Regardless of the tools used, the fact remains that a dotted 4 way
connection is always suspect, and that suspicion can be completely
eliminated by using offset tees.

So why not change in order to eliminate confusion instead of doggedly
persisting in the old ways?
Reply to
John Fields

. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ . incompetence

You're not doing too bad yourself!

--
>Looks like you've accumulated allies: JF and AlwaysWrong. The Henhouse
>Trio, with apologies to Ernie Kovacs.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Geez, that was fast.

You must be hanging on my every word!
Reply to
John Fields

--
Translation:

"Let's see if I can't lure him into yet another pissing contest."
Reply to
John Fields

There is no confusion. If there's a dot, all four wires are connected. I think it's you who are stuck in the old days of hand-drawn schematics and ratty blueline machines.

I posted a complex and highly debatable 4-20 mA schematic of an actual, recently-designed commercial product, which is on topic for this thread. You ignore all the potential circuit goodies and baddies, and fixate on the tie dots. And, of course, post nothing on topic yourself.

Keep on cluckin!

John

So it would seem if you were already blind.
Reply to
John Fields

No surprise at all. 555s aren't especially good at precision analog current control.

John

Or "let's see if he'll post something on topic."

As if!

John

I'm not familiar with that one, but...

This Italian girl gets married to this Greek guy whom her mother can't
stand and, after the wedding, the mom says to the bride: "If that
sonofabitch ever asks you to turn over in bed I want you to tell me
about it immediately!"

The daughter says OK, and a few months later the mom gets a phone call
with her daughter sobbing that the guy asked her to turn over.

Enraged, the mom tells her to put the guy on the phone and when he
says hello, she screams: "You dirty Greek bastard, How _dare_ you tell
my daughter to turn over in bed!"

To which he calmly replies: "Well, you _do_ want grandchildren, don't
you?."
Reply to
John Fields