Are video amps fizzling away?

Most of us know the old uA733, it's still sold but the quantities aren't very encouraging. A whopping 34 pieces at Digikey. Big red flag for me. The NE592 is non-stock in all versions and there are a few thousand TL592. None of these were ported past SO style. That's another little red flag.

Could high-gain video amps be on the way to Unobtania? I was hoping there'd be some markets other than VCRs and older disk drives for them but maybe there aren't. Any alternatives? Sure, there are fast opamps but those cost an arm and a leg.

So, does this mean back to discrete design?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

uA733? NE592?! What year is this, 1970?

Anyway, TI has them in stock, take a look at their web-site.

I don't know, for example the AD8001 current feedback op-amp costs $1.50. Sure this is 3x the price of the uA733 from TI above, but the quality is literally 100x better (differential phase and gain). You can actually put two in series without destroying your video :-)

You can get it in DIP-8, SO-8 and even SOT-23.

--
/*  jhallen@world.std.com AB1GO */                        /* Joseph H. Allen */
 Click to see the full signature

It 19-sumthin' :-)

Back when them hippies and VW busses were cool.

Sure, but looking at distribution makes my stomach churn a bit.

But $1.50 is way too much when you don't need something 100x better. Guess I'll go discrete. Again.