OT: Copy PATH from Windows Explorer ??

I'm in my usual mode of receiving (Spice) library files from systems using Linux/Unix/Eunuchs, so paths are a gezillion deep, with *one file* in each directory :-(

(1) Why in the hell do the Linux/Unix/Eunuchs types do that?

(2) Any cute way, or utility I can buy, so that a right click on a file name in Explorer will give a *complete* path that I can copy/paste into a text file?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Lost me there, Spehro... what is the "edit pane"? I have v7.10a

...Jim Thompson

My favorite Shell Extension:

JeffM

One way is to drop the file onto Ultraedit, then right-click on the edit pane and select "Copy File Path/Name". I know, more clicks than you'd like..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The place where you'd normally type stuff ;-) (the file contents) as opposed to the toolbar etc. It works in 8.10/8.10a not sure about older versions (ah, Google knows all- it was introduced in 7.20)

screenshot:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Slightly different. That gives you the full path of the folder rather than the full path + full file name.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Looks like upgrade time... I don't have the "Copy File Path/Name" option.

...Jim Thompson

My need is to copy the whole path and file name into a library (text) file.

I am quite aware of DOS and TweakUI, probably was using DOS before you were born ;-) Dir/s > list.txt would get me there, but not very expeditiously.

...Jim Thompson

My approach with Windows is to make a shortcut, then rightclick to display the shortcut's properties, which has path + filename. Select and copy this to the clipboard, afterwhich you can paste it wherever you want. For example, I may paste it as text into a Acrobat file to see later on printed copies where it's stored.

Probably a similar approach can be done under Linux.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Nothing wrong with upgrading (Ultraedit is a great program) but JeffM's suggestion works perfectly and does exactly as you requested.

ftp://ftp.ncftpd.com/winstuff/cpse/cpse.zip

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

| I'm in my usual mode of receiving (Spice) library files from systems | using Linux/Unix/Eunuchs, so paths are a gezillion deep, with *one | file* in each directory :-( | | (1) Why in the hell do the Linux/Unix/Eunuchs types do that? | | (2) Any cute way, or utility I can buy, so that a right click on a | file name in Explorer will give a *complete* path that I can | copy/paste into a text file?

Here are some free ones you can try:

This one allows for unix formatting:

This one is great for it's "open in command prompt" option as well:

MT

To reply directly, take every occurrence of the letter \'y\' out of my
address.
Reply to
mark thomas

I upgraded my UltraEdit (v7.1 -> v10.2)... hadn't realized I hadn't upgraded in nearly 4 years.

UltraEdit does all kinds of tricks that I use daily... this new one will be a big help to me when I need to import new device models.

...Jim Thompson

Jim,

You *might* find use for cygwin. It gives you Gnu/UNIX text commands from a DOS shell. Once you get cygwin installed on your PC, you could type, from a directory deep enough so that nothing extraneous to your interest is caught,

cp `find` ../mydir

to copy all files into the single directory mydir.

But cygwin only gives you UNIX commands on a PC. If you're not comfortable with UNIX, then it won't be of too much use for you.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Engelhardt

Goto: Tools/folder options/View/ find the radio button for display full path in adress bar make sure it's selected.

Goto: View/toolbars/ make sure Adress bar is checked

you can now find a file in afolder and select it's full path from the adress bar

Charles

Reply to
Charles W. Johson Jr.

"Charles W. Johson Jr." wrote in message news:0KExd.5330$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

The actual file name won't be there.

Charles

Reply to
Charles W. Johson Jr.

I have my Medicare appointment in one week... do you?

...Jim Thompson

If you have a problem installing the Shell extentions already suggested I assume you know about opening a DOS window (TweakUI from MS allows you to do this with one click) at your top level directory and doing a "Dir/s >

list.txt" (remove quotes) to get a text file of all your files in that directory and all subdirectories.

The text file will have the path name to each directory and then list all files in that directory so it's not the one click you were after. But it is already built into the OS and you don't have to worry about what's in the install found on the Internet.

Reply to
Robert

Create a shortcut, then properties of the shortcut and copy the 'target' box.

Martin Riddle

You can use a dos shell to do this. Go to "Start" then Run, then type 'cmd'. Do a 'dir /B /S '.

--
Regards,
   Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
     - Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
        on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.
Reply to
Robert Monsen

Another good one google might turn up is Command Promt Here or something like that. Opens the command prompt with the dir set where you want it.

--
Best Regards,
Mike