ANN: GdsViewer 1.0

This is an announcement of recently released GdsViewer 1.0

a new high capacity, fast GDSII viewer for Windows. We would appreciate you trying the viewer and providing us with feedback, bugs, feature requests, etc.

Thank you,

Gene Bushuyev

Gene Bushuyev

You might start by cleaning up that crap you call HTML:

It's not very impressive when a coder can't put together a proper Web page. . .

"ANN" is reserved for non-commercial announcements. You make your stuff sound like freeware (whose announcements are welcome in sci.electronics.* hierarchy).

*+LTspice+author:Mike-Engelhardt&scoring=d
*+author:Reg-Edwards+New-Program&scoring=d

:From the site: :License type Users Commercial Use Download : 30-day Trial 1 No Windows : Personal 1 No Windows : Professional 1 Yes Windows

Having spent most of your Usenet time in a moderated group,

perhaps you think that unmoderated groups are open to spamming. I assure you that is not the case. Commercial advertisements are welcome in groups which have words like ads biz forsale marketplace in their names.

Other groups may permit FS (which would be more apt for your ad) BUT COMMERCIAL ADS ARE NOT WELCOME HERE.

Reply to
JeffM

Bombed. "Assertion failed"

...Jim Thompson

Ummmm? It IS a CAD newsgroup, so I expect announcements of CAD.

Unfortunately it doesn't function properly :-(

...Jim Thompson

viewer

I should add, I own WCAD's GDSVU, works great.

No matter what I tried with yours it failed.

Keep in mind I was trying it on REAL *.GDS files... I/C cells of various types.

...Jim Thompson

The website also locked up one of my browsers. Not impressed with his coding skills so far. . .

Looking again at Mark Zenier's "Guide to the Sci.Electronics Newsgroups", http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:UkDUQGrgwUEJ:

't-belong-here+Why-can't-I-advertise perhaps I am being too rigid.

OTOH, I see no previous interest in the group on the OP's part:

*&enc_author=w30z_BIAAABITJ9FYOS8bo8qpuupKz4v8rhlH0Pnl47z4AZhN98BFg&scoring=d

Maybe your intuition is correct and that will change as he becomes a contributing member of the community. who should be accepted with open arms. We'll see.

Reply to
JeffM

Could you please provide a little bit more information: what operation were you doing when the assertion was thrown, what message did you get, how big was the file, any other information that can be useful?

Gene Bushuyev

Gene Bushuyev

I'm guessing, of course, not having any information about that failure, but the most probable cause is some violation of GDSII spec. We have found some such files, and are working now on supporting those cases. So if you know something like that about your test cases would you be so kind to share that information?

Gene Bushuyev

Gene Bushuyev

My file was 940KB.

I don't know what version it might be. I'm a circuit designer and just use a viewer to make sure the layout people follow my matching/positioning requests.

First I tried "Open With" your viewer, got the "Assertion" error message.

Open your viewer, saw a bunch of "project" which I couldn't figure out how to use.

BTW, "Open With" your viewer of your example files didn't work either.

But GDSVU will open your example.gds

...Jim Thompson

Groping around I found that double-clicking in *your* directory tree I could *see* example.gds.

Incomplete however. See this comparison of GDSVU versus GDSViewer...

Maybe you have overly hamstrung the evaluation version, or maybe there is a bug... I had clicked "Visible all".

...Jim Thompson

[...]

Yes, you can double click on the project name on Start Page, or click the button on the bottom that says "Open bla-bla-bla project." On the Project Manager page double clicking the gds file (or pressing "open selected" button) loads gds file. If it's loaded it expands/collapses tree node. Double clicking the cell node (or pressing "open selected" button) opens Layout Window that shows layout...

I'm glad to see it works after all :-) No, the evaluation version includes the full functionality. The reason you didn't see the same picture as GDSVU is because you didn't ask GdsViewer to flatten hierarchy. On the top level there is only one polygon and a bunch of cells. The spin-edit on the top ("hierarchy depth") allows flattening to requested hierarchy level. All rectangles are on the bottom of hierarchy (level

3,) so set "3" in the "hierarchy depth" and you shall see them all.

Gene Bushuyev

Gene Bushuyev

message

button

How can I view my 940KB file?

OK, got it! I like the "blinking" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

[...]

You can either create a new project or add file to the existing project. Since you already know how to open an existing project, here is how you can add another file to it. On Project Manager page select the very top node (your project), click on the button with green plus ("add files"), navigate to the file you want to add, click Open. The file is added to the project tree. Double click on it ... All buttons show a hint when the mouse cursor hovers over them. There is also a Help button on right side on the Main window.

Happy blinking :-)

--
Gene Bushuyev (www.gbresearch.com)

P.S. The version of GdsViewer on the web site was recently updated to take care
of some files that violate GDSII spec.
Reply to
Gene Bushuyev

message

A little different way of doing the GUI, but it's growing on me... I like it! And your price is certainly attractive. But your website is butt slow :-(

...Jim Thompson

message

Double

them.

PS: I'd like it a lot better if I could just double click on a GDS file and GDSViewer opened it.

...Jim Thompson

Thanks. And of course, to keep customers happy we will have special upgrade pricing when the new releases come. The web site was really slow today, I don't know what happened. The normal response time is 0.11 s according to the reports from the hosting company.

--
Gene Bushuyev (www.gbresearch.com)
Reply to
Gene Bushuyev

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. The reason GdsViewer has a project file is to keep all the additional information that gds file doesn't have. I guess automatically creating a project with default options when opening gds file will be an acceptable solution to this problem. We'll see.