OT: Copy PATH from Windows Explorer ??

[snip]

Thaas, What you said finally sunk in... any file that has been "opened with" and the box checked "Always use this program to open these files" are what fail when CopyThisPath is activated. Files assigned to a given executable during a program installation, such as .DOC, continue to work.

...Jim Thompson

Thaas, Looks like a lost cause... got another snotty E-mail from Jerry Campbell. He's just certain that there's no flaw in his program.

But I just got my latest-version UltraEdit by FedEx, so I'll just toss CopyThisPath as junk, and list it as "Not Recommended" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I'll load it later today and let you know.

But, at the very least, CopyThisPath must be doing something untoward that confuses UltraEdit.

OK, Just confirmed, it's a conflict with UltraEdit, changing to NotePad works. Now for some further detective work.

...Jim Thompson

Did your old copy have the yellow highlight on the cursor line? That alone is worth the upgrade price, IMO.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In an attempt to compose a bug report to Camtech I investigated further. I thought I saw the behavior you reported where CopyThisPath becomes the default action for previously known extensions. I was trying to isolate where in the tree structure this occurred when Win98 hanged.

After a reboot, I couldn't find an instance where CopyThisPath took over a previously defined default action. I set up a series of test folders and files. This is what I've discovered thus far:

For files with previously defined default actions CopyThisPath and NewFolderHere appear at the top of the context menu. The default action though moved down in the menu, remains the same.

For folders CopyThisPath and NewFolderHere appear on the context menu somewhere below the default action.

For shortcuts to files with previously defined default actions CopyThisPath and NewFolderHere appear twice each on the context menu, above the default action. On my system the two copies of CopyThisPath & NewFolderHere are separated by the "Quick view..." action. The default action though moved down is still emboldened and remains the same as previously defined.

For shortcuts to folders CopyThisPath and NewFolderHere do not appear on the context menu.

For files and shortcuts to files for which no default action has been defined CopyThisPath becomes the default action, apparently replacing "Open with...". For the shortcuts the CopyThisPath and NewFolderHere actions are duplicated and it is the second instance of CopyThisPath that is emboldened.

Jim, I was unable to duplicate any instance of CopyThisPath replacing a previously defined default action other than "Open with..." even though I'd swear I saw it before my machine hung.

And now I remember that I have been living with this behavior since I installed CopyThisPath. It could charitably be called a "feature". Most of the time when I double-click a file of undefined type I really don't want to mess with the "Open with..." dialog. I usually have something on my "Send to" menu that I want to use instead anyway. The beep from my ClipMate reminds me to right-click and send the file where I want while its path is harmlessly captured.

I'll forward this to Camtech in case it inspires them to make any changes to their free utility. I still find it useful as is, YMMV. I'll let you know if the behavior you complained about ever re-appears here. I swear I saw it:)

--
Thaas
Reply to

Jim,

I use Multi-Edit. I tried the files you mentioned previously, .lib, ..inc, .cir, and .net. Using "Open with..." I established Multi-Edit as the default tool for .inc and it worked fine. Thought I had a copy of Ultra-Edit, but no such luck.

Maybe the problem lies with Ultra-Edit. How does the new version fare?

Tom Haas

--
Thaas
Reply to

My apologies, I missed your first post. "ClipPath" works fine. So CopyThisPath is history... the developer is a bit of an ass anyway ;-)

...Jim Thompson

My apologies, I missed your first post. "ClipPath" works fine. So CopyThisPath is history... the developer is a bit of an ass anyway ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| I'll load it later today and let you know. | | But, at the very least, CopyThisPath must be doing something untoward | that confuses UltraEdit. | | OK, Just confirmed, it's a conflict with UltraEdit, changing to | NotePad works. Now for some further detective work.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, just use one of the 3 freeware path-copying programs I posted earlier.

--
MT

To reply directly, take every occurrence of the letter \'y\' out of my
address.
Reply to
mark thomas

I settled on ClipPath...

I also tried CopyThisPath, but found conflicts with other programs I use...

...Jim Thompson

You're braver than I am (or less paranoid). I worry about what might be in programs downloaded from the Internet. Or the conflicts they might cause with the rest of what runs on the PC.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Where is this in Explorer?

Naaaah! Only your psych-egos ;-) Although "eat cake" smacks of French, and you know what that will get you ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Tools | Folder Options | View | Display the full path in the address bar

except that it doesn't display the last part (the file name)

Reply to
Richard Crowley

In Win2K, Start/Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer .

In WinXP, Start/All Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer .

Win 98 might have these features as well, but I haven't ren 98 in some time.

OK, you've got WE open:

Tools/Folder Options

Then click the "View" tab, then look down the list of view options until you see one named, "Display full path in the title bar".

Check it.

Now, this will only be the directory path - it doesn't include the file name, but you can

a) paste the path, and type the filename part by hand, or B) Switch back to WE task, _single-click_ the filename to highlight it, right-click, select "Rename" from the popup context menu, and then DON'T TYPE ANYTHING - your filename will be highlighted, and in this mode, any typing replaces the whole name with blank - ONLY press Control-C. (arrow keys will unhilite it, but you're still in edit mode, but you don't want to do this.) This copies the file name to the clipboard. Press ESC. This gets you out of "Rename" mode. Switch over to the task that you've just pasted the path into, and you can paste the filename you've just copied.

Which OS are you actually running?

If it's 2K, you can drag the WE icon from the 3-deep menu right to your taskbar. Being an old "I wanna see what's on my computer" type, that's one of the first things I do when I reinstall. :-)

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Locutus Borg

Thanks! I found it. I had it pushed all the way to the right and couldn't see anything happening when I selected view it or not.

...Jim Thompson

The "ClipPath" utility works perfectly and doesn't seem to conflict with other programs... puts whole path AND filename onto clipboard.

...Jim Thompson

Goto: Tools/folder options/View/ find the radio button for display full path in adress bar make sure it's selected.

Goto: View/toolbars/ make sure Adress bar is checked

You can now find a file in afolder and select it's full path from the adress bar

Not perfect for files but a path this will work for, if you need the file name also this won't show it.

Charles

Reply to
Charles W. Johson Jr.