0.18um cmos model file

Hello All

I am a beginner in simulator. Anyone can show me how to make sure the part and model file I use in my LTspice and Pspice is for 0.18um cmos technology? How to modify it? I just installed them on my computer and do not know how to modify it. Kindly help.

rgds and thanks jason

Reply to
jason

You need a model file from the specific foundry/fab you are using.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Thanks Jim

Let's say I choose a TSMC 0.18um cmos technology. Where can I get the model file from? And which folder I should put it into my software in order to simulate circuit? Kindly enlighthen Thank you

rgds jason

Reply to
jason

Thanks Jim

Let's say I choose a TSMC 0.18um cmos technology. Where can I get the model file from? And which folder I should put it into my software in order to simulate circuit? Kindly enlighthen Thank you

rgds jason

Reply to
jason

This sounds very student.

Your university should have a device LIBRARY file (*.lib) for that process.

Your simulator set up tab (location is dependent on which simulator you are using) should help you define where it's located (directory) and how to invoke the process corners.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Yes Jim. I am student. Thanks a lot for being active and kind in responding to many enquiries. By the way, say if I simulate a circuit in Pspice or LTspice, then can I generate something like a netlist from any simulator I used and then I switched to other simulator for layout using the netlist, will this work? This simply means I wish to know if the netlist for any simulator can be cross functioned at other simulator? Kindly advise Thanks a lot

Jason

Reply to
jason

You are quite welcome.

Not generally without some editing.

However, in PSpice, you have multiple netlisting templates. So I have...

Template for PSpice Simulation, includes calculated AD, AS, ...

Template for Layout, has L and W only

Template suitable for importation into Silvaco SmartSpice (essentially HSpice style parametric syntax)

As I said above, not generally without some editing.

I HAVE used LTSpice to run a PSpice-generated netlist, without problem. I don't know, however, if LTSpice has multiple-template capability. Mike?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hi Jim

Thanks a lot again for the advice. That really gives me some idea about layout using the various spice platform. Could I ask you about making a circuit with frequency oscillation at

2.4Ghz? Thanks a lot

rgds and thanks Jason

Reply to
jason

Are you asking if it's possible to make a 2.4GHz VCO on 0.18um CMOS? Yes.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hi Jim

Need your help again. Say if I never change the model file of my LTspice. Then what model file will the simulator use as a default? A discrete model I heard. What actually the tsmc0.18um model file and the discrete model file different in?

Then if I wan to put new model file in LTSpice. Then I should go to program files->LTC->cmp->standard mos folder and change the model files. Am I right? Please tell me this in detailed if I am wrong.

Just a stupid question, if I make a circuit to run well in LTspice , then if I have no way to make layout from Ltspice. Can I just go to Pspice and insert the circuit and model file. Then I will be able to get the same result and then the layout can be made. This will work right?

Thank you Jim Anyone who knows well, pls comment too.

rgds and thanks Jason

Reply to
jason

PSpice only interfaces to PCB layout NOT microchip layout.

As to LTSpice model files, Mike Engelhardt will have to jump in here.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Thanks Jim Then I will wait for Mike then By the way Jim, is it true that nowadays capacitor and inductor still cannot be fabricated together with digital and analog circuit in the same chip? So the layout for an oscillator circuit is better to use pcb layout or chip level layout? I am not sure if I express what I am in doubt Kindly enligthen Thanks a lot

Jason

Reply to
jason

Jason,

At 2.4GHz, the inductors and capacitors are actually easier to use on-chip than off-chip, since the parasitics are less of a problem. You'll need a good model for your inductor, I suggest the free programs FastHenry and FastCap from MIT as a starting point, though they simulate inductance and capacitance separately so you'll have to do some work to make a good distributed model. Also for decent inductors you'll want a metal layer at least 2um thick, preferable 5um or more. You could also strap several thin metal layers together, but the USPTO was silly enough to let someone patent that.(5446311)

If you have access to the IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, you'll find that since 1995 or so it has printed many VCO papers. This should be of interest to you.

Chris J> Thanks Jim

Reply to
Chris Jones