IE Crap

According to Firefox setups, Firefox is set as my default browser.

However, apparently due to some XP Pro "updates", if Firefox is not already open, clicking on a link springs forth IE v8 :-(

How do I stop that?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

Right click on any HTM(L) file and select the 'Properties' button. When the 'Properties' menu opens up select the 'Change' button, then click Firefox, follwed by the 'OK' button.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

Linux?

Martin Riddle

Seems to be only on ftp-style links, as in...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/R1.JPG

Maybe it's an ap-setting in Agent that I missed. ...Jim Thompson

  Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

I don't know why John insists on using 'FTP' links. He should just dump the photos into an unlinked folder on his main website so that search engines don't find them. Then you don't need FTP capability to see it. It would probably load a lot faster, as well.

A link like this: loads quickly, even on Earthlink's slow & old personal webspace servers. FTP is A LOT SLOWER for the same file.

His FTP server is wide open, as well. I see about 107 files, and one extra folder there with two more files. He has very little security there, since it is a public FTP server.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Crap ;-)

I just downloaded a Cadence PDK... a directory for every file... Eunuchs, what a pile of crap ;-) ...Jim Thompson

  Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

John has to prove his amateur status ;-) Though his Romanesco broccoli _does_ looks interesting. ...Jim Thompson

              With Half My Brain Tied Behind My Back
              Still More Clever Than Mr.Prissy Pants

That's 68K bytes. It would load fast from anywhere. This is 69K

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/CW_second_tunnel.jpg

and loads just about instantly. R1.jpg is over a meg, so that you can resolved the fractal structure.

Of course it's wide open. It's a public FTP site.

John

Add the directory to a Robots.txt file to disallow crawling there.

Martin Riddle

They aren't fast on the other side of the country. Several took over five seconds to load, and one gave me a server error the first try. I have over 7 MB/s download speed here.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then don't load my files.

John

Could be... when I click the link, it gets opened with FF.

Reply to
TTman

From Dave Turner, an old Primenet compatriot:

Agent has an option to switch ftp to use Firefox.

Tools->Options->URL and MIME Settings->URL Types

Use the down arrow on URL: to find ftp: File Transfer Protocol

Uncheck the box "Share settings with the http protocol"

Set "Use custom settings (below)"

Browse to C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe

It just worked for me.

===============

Worked for me ;-) ...Jim Thompson

  Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

Control panel - Add/remove programs - Set Program Access and defaults: Set your choices here.

Not applicable to IE but necessary for other programs: Internet explorer - Internet Options - programs tab - set your default programs here.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

[snip]

Wide open or read-only? The former could be a big problem. OTOH, I do need some extra space for my data. ;-)

Shoot straight you bastards! Don\'t make a mess of it.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Do you have a problem reading?

He SAID WITH Firefox AS DEFAULT.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

It's supposed to be read-only, but give it a try.

John

It is. anonymous can't do a 'put'.

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn\'t suck is probably the day
they start making vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

OK, I stand corrected. And yes, I am dyslexic so DO have a problem reading...

Meant to write Firefox but was looking at my settings and got it backwards. Same process still stands - just substitute Firefox.

Reply to
Oppie

It asks for a username and password, and "guest" "guest" doesn't work. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise