OT: Copy PATH from Windows Explorer ??

^^^ DOS

Best Regards,
Mike
Reply to
Active8

I said TweakUI from MS does that but it's really one of the free Powertoys from MS.

TweakUI is one of the Powertoys and allows you to change quite a bit on your XP system. Another Powertoy installs a "Command Prompt Here" entry when you right click on any directory in Explorer. Choosing that opens up a DOS Window at that directory location.

Reply to
Robert
[snip]

Since I've been using DOS since the first versions came out (from MS) I doubt that. ;-)

But I wish I were as young as you seem to think I am.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

PERFECTO!!! Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

GREAT Utilities!

I downloaded "CopyThisPath" and "NewFolderHere"

...Jim Thompson

Well...AARP keeps sending me sign-up offers. But after what they did with the prescription drug bill I'll pass.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

I enthused too soon.

Both of these utilities, when activated, kill the double-click file opening function for any associations you have customized.

So to the trash bin :-(

...Jim Thompson

Thanks, Thaas! It would help if you reported it also. The Camtech guy replied to me rather curtly, "No, they do not and there's no way they could", and then I replied, "Only reporting my observations".

He's probably young... I NEVER say "Can't be"... guaranteed to result in a hole in the foot ;-)

...Jim Thompson

This Camtech site has several other useful utilities. Copy-this-path adds a command to your right-click context menu that will do what you want.

Thaas
Reply to
Thaas

So one file in each directory is efficient?

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Typically I receive device libraries in TAR or GZIP archives. Unarchiving they create a ton of directories which I promptly coalesce into a rational structure so I can group all the process corners, etc.

Of course, when they visit me, they can't understand anything I'm doing.

And a new PSpice look-alike proposes to have library setups like that... NO-NO!

...Jim Thompson

I hadn't been to that site for awhile. When I went there to find a link to answer your question I poked around. Ended up downloading ten toys I couldn't live without trying.

--
Thaas
Reply to

Not really, but it is alot easier for future programmers to work with than some proprietary binary library file format.

The nice thing about the unix filesystem is it can find its way through structures like this as fast as a special library utility could. The cost is a directory entry per file, and on average 50% of a 512 byte block.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

In an abstract form, the unix file system is identical to the Windoze file system. They both use a tree structure that can be made arbitrarily deep. For example:

/usr/local/share/ooblick/goop/yellowgoop/bin/foo..

Windoze users are used to thinking that their filesystem isn't that way, because they are used to seeing if in a pictograph form composed of folders, containing folders, containing folders...

In the above path, /usr is a folder called usr, and /usr/local is another folder called local that is inside of /usr...

There are file system explorers by the dozens on all varieties of unix. Some are made to look and feel exactly like the windows explorer. There are windows like gui's on all unix varieties of unix. Some are so closely modeled after Windows that I would bet you couldn't tell you weren't running windows.

You might think the unixes are playing catch up with windows, but they aren't, Sun and apollo were shipping fully graphic user interfaces with mice, that were very much like the windows system back when Bill was porting MSDOS to the first IBM-PCs.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris
["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.] On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:17:54 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote in Msg.

It probably doesn't have to do with the operating system. Having individual directories for single files sounds as if the file structure was automatically created by some braindead program.

Dunno if this helps you, but "find . -type f" will print out a list of complete paths to *all* regular files below the current directory. Available with many other (IMO sometimes essential) utilities at

Of course that's all strictly command-line stuff.

--Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Haude

That's strange. I've been using both for the last year or so and never had a problem. Bears investigation. Would you like some links to file association repair utilities?

--
Thaas
Reply to

Okay, now I see what you're talking about. Seems to work differently depending on how far into a folder tree you are.

At the desktop it adds CopyThisPath and NewFolderHere below the default action for folders. For files it puts CopyThisPath & NewFolderHere at the top of the context menu and moves the default action down, but the default is still emboldened and still works.

Dive down into a folder and for files CopyThisPath & NewFolderHere eventually stay at the top and CopyThisPath becomes the default action.

Definitely a bug. I'll report it to the Camtech guy and let you know what happens.

--
Thaas
Reply to

Because the file system supports it and isn't so crap that doing so kills performance unlike on some other operating systems.

Reply to
nospam

This is my pet peeve about Unix in all it's guises. My short term memory is just about useless, and I wind up spending more time searching through the byzantine file system for that one crucial file than I do performing any useful work.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

I have .lib, .inc, .cir, .net predefined to open with UltraEdit. Works correctly until CopyThisPath activated, then quits. Returns to normal as soon as CopyThisPath deactivated.

My spell checker wants to change "CopyThisPath" to "Constipate" ;-)

...Jim Thompson