8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

up

By the end of 02 they were starting to rise here. Probably 2-3 x increase.

The problem now is that electricity, water and other essentials are now doing the same.

Reply to
kreed

kreed wrote

Not by anything like as much.

And its trivial to save a lot of the electricity used for winter heating anyway and end up with no increase in the cost of electricity used.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"kreed" wrote

hmm...same here...are you sure you are not Croatian?!?! :)))))

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

"Don McKenzie" wrote

hahaha....well, as a Royall pilot he didnt need a travel ticket...just to sit in any plane and wooooosh :)

gov. sponsored trip = WW2 ...hahahahaha what a black humor :))))))))

color and colour both is better then BW

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

Prices on local Aussie electronics has been very good in recent years.

dollar value compared to USD has doubled in 10 years:

yes from 48 cents to ~$1.

Then there is what I call the global leveling field, where prices become more competitive, as there are less middle men, and less profits from the manufacturer through to the consumer.

In fact right now may be the best time to buy a new PC, etc., before the Japanese shortage occurs on silicon and other similar commodities.

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

o,

The compulsory government sponsored trips for Australians to Vietnam

40 odd years ago weren't really popular either.
Reply to
kreed

That happens in certain areas. the area has a poor reputation , but there are good streets with good houses going cheap. It will eventually correct.

Reply to
terryc

If you have offpeak HWS, lag your copper pipes. Dropped that part by 20%.

Reply to
terryc

gh up

Pretty much agree with that. Its getting unaffordable for people to service, and there has to be some sort of correction.

Reply to
kreed

Just measured how much I could lag, 1 metre before it dissappears into the brickwork. Is it worthwhile??

Reply to
SG1

If your copper pipes are 1/2' dia and only short probably not. In some cases you are only talking a very small volume of water from heater to tap.

Reply to
F Murtz

terryc wrote

anyway and end up with no increase in the

Mine were lagged when the house was built.

I saved a lot more than that by not using fan heaters.

Reply to
Rod Speed

SG1 wrote

anyway and end up with no increase in the

brickwork. Is it worthwhile??

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I thought so...

Reply to
SG1

The bit closest to the cylinder also wastes heat by conducting it from the cylinder, maybe 50W(a guess) , if you don't make a special trip to get materials it'll save you money in the long run.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

That's where you lose most of the heat. It's worth lagging, even if you don't do the rest of the system. Wait until no water has been drawn for 10 minutes or so, then run your hand along the pipe. You'll find it's very hot at the cylinder and cools rapidly as you move along the pipe.

You start to observe the law of diminishing returns as you lag more of the system - the energy you save is balanced by the lagging costs. It just about makes sense in a new build, but not if you have to rip off wall coverings.

Reply to
Don Hills

Jasen Betts wrote

Its nothing like 50W

long run.

Sure, but nothing like 20%

Reply to
Rod Speed

IMO, yes. We have that awful mixer crap on the outside, so have a little bit more copper. Eventually I intend to get under (pillars) and lag the lot. Only problem has been fining UV resistant cable ties.

Reply to
terryc

Your fan heaters run on off peak? I shudder to think what the bill would be with fan heater. always had slow ombustion here, but LPG/gas heating is far better for most.

Reply to
terryc

Way OT, but my 2c is that there is far too much money being pumped into superannuation and with shares maxed, that means funds are going to flow into real estate and boost the prices.

Reply to
terryc