8.8 magnitude quake strikes Japan

19:30 This is of personal interest to me, as I have a 21 year old grand daughter on a flight, and about to land in Japan in about an hour.

And two very stressed parents in Darwin trying to find out where the flight is landing.

==========================

JAPAN issued its top tsunami warning after a major offshore quake measuring 8.8 hit today, swaying buildings in Tokyo and sending people fleeing onto the streets.

The country's meteorological agency issued its top-level evacuation alerts for the entire Japanese coast, warning of a tsunami of up to six meters.

A tsunami of around one meter later hit Japan's Pacific coast, AFP reported.

Tsunami warnings were also issued for Russia, the Philippines and the Mariana Islands, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thanks, she works basically two full time jobs, so she saved long and hard for it.

And flights from Darwin to virtually anywhere in Asia, are generally a lot cheaper than Darwin to Sydney or Melbourne, I might add. Many Darwinites travel to Bali or Singapore for their holidays, rather than come south. In fact, Bali is dirt cheap. Just a trip around the block.

Found out the airport is shut, so depending on fuel, she will end up stuck in China is my bet.

Cheers Don...

=================================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

landing.

They're unlikely to let it land anywhere where it will be in any danger.

Rod Speed

Don McKenzie wrote

it.

China is my bet.

Bet she doesnt, there's more than one airport in Japan.

Reply to
Rod Speed

you would if your grandfather was Don McKenzie :)))

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

for it.

China is my bet.

Quite true but many of the airports suitable have suffered damage Now there large numbers of clues out the woddles , why don't you try catching one for a change

--
Reply to
atec77

There was a time when it was cheaper to take a Darwin/Bali/Perth flight and have an overnight stay there than pay for a TAA/Ansett direct flight.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

hi, i`m sure she be safe, they would have rerouted the landing....

but i wish i had that sorta money to fly to japan when i was 21........ :-(

no one

Hi Don, the ABC news website has a photo of one of Japan's airports. Looks like a lot of damage.

dmm

Not all the airports are damaged, and there is no shortage of them.

Reply to
Clocky

for it.

China is my bet.

Probably go down to Osaka, since Narita is closed in Tokyo.

Reply to
Swanny

Just got a facebook message passed onto me about my grand daughter Leesa:

========================= Leesa Burke UPDATE: We're all safe and fine!!! Amber Dahlin, Shenayah Windler and @Adam Ellis are living it up in Guam. None of us have international roaming though so we're using crappy internet. :) We're not sure what's going to happen but we were last told we're heading into Osaka.

6 hours ago · =========================

She has a step father, so when she turned 18, she changed her surname. Why go half way? She also included Cheryl after my wife, and Danger because she knew I would like that. I didn't believe her until she showed me her drivers licence.

"Leesa McKenzie Cheryl Danger Burke".

So her middle name really is Danger. :-)

And I guess most of our drama is now over.

I sent a few messages to friends just north of Tokyo, to make sure they are OK, but I doubt if I will hear back because of the power situation with the nuclear plant problems.

It is all pretty unbelievable what has happened in the last few months by mother nature.

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

My father was Don McKenzie. Does that count? :-)

Cheers Don...

================================

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects? "I'd buy that for a Dollar!".

Reply to
Don McKenzie

like a lot of damage.

Ta, just posted in another message, she got to Guam, and all is well. Possibly fly into Osaka shortly.

Cheers Don...

===================================

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects? "I'd buy that for a Dollar!".

Reply to
Don McKenzie

Channel 24 announced the diversion about 40 minutes ago , you might want to watch it ?

--
Reply to
atec77

I had the money when I was 21 - but saving incredibly hard for a house deposit was a higher priority. Travel was a luxury, apart from being costly, it also meant lost income by being away from work. If it was work/career related, then it would have been different.

Considering how real estate went up in the early 2000's, I'm glad I did this and got in early (well very early).

ter

=3D=3D=3D

rts

.
Reply to
kreed

"kreed" wrote

same here...i bought my house in 2001.....1 year later prices jumped high up for 200%...that was a real luck :)

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

"Don McKenzie" wrote

only if he was successful in business as you are :)))

Reply to
Gagi-9a6aag

Well, on the very day of his 21st birthday, he was in San Franciso! He was on a government sponsored world trip. They eventually called it WWII. On the same day, the Japanese bombed Darwin.

He was with the RAAF as an airplane driver doing what they called the empire training scheme in Edmonton Canada. His mates talked him into doing a trip south for his birthday to celebrate, so they got a few days leave, and drove down to San Francisco, which was a fair sort of drive in 1942.

They wanted to see a little bit of the US, being so close. Actually saw a horrible version of early colo(u)r TV in a bar in SF.

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

like a lot of damage.

To finish this story off, just spoke with my grand daughter on the phone, she was at Cairns airport.

Was in Guam for 24 hours, but only got to see the inside of the airport. Flown into Narita airport at Tokyo, but hardly stopped long enough to use the toilet. Then flown to Cairns, and trying to get a flight back to Darwin.

Some holiday. But rather her back here. Japan has a lot to go through in the coming weeks, and they don't need tourists right now.

Cheers Don...