SBS jamming GPS ?

**See:

SBS TV transmissions in Sydney are interfering with GPS receivers.

A prof at NSW uni says so.

Consider:

GPS satellites all transmit on 1575.42 MHz.

SBS analogue TV is on UHF28 = 526 to 533 MHz with vision carrier on

527.25MHz.

So even the third harmonic is several MHz at least away from GPS frequencies - but how selective are the receivers?

Is this yet another media beat up ?

Do GPS units go awry near Artarmon ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**Mine doesn't. And it is just the crappy one in my Nokia 'phone. It is far less sensitive than the dedicated units available. It takes forever to log the satellites. I've used it in the St Leonards/Artarmon/Crows Nest/Lane Cove area many times. Never had a problem.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Just done a spot check at our humble ruin here in Lane Cove, between what Google earth says our place is at and what the iPhone says..... .003 degrees difference in lat and 6 decimal places of zero for long! iPhone gave an accuracy of 10m so I reckon it falls well within the accuracy (?). Question is how does Google earth determine lat and long? Sounds a bit like a beat up.

Reply to
karma dogma

yep, unless you buy a cheap crappy GPS.

Reply to
terryc

No, never have, even the 10 year old cheap ones with a simple patch antenna. Ask any Sydney based Geocacher.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones