ISE 64bit question

XST 7.1i says that it has support for redhat linux enterprise 64 bit edition. I installed enterprise 3 on a system we have, which is a quad Itanium 2. However, I can't get the xst binaries to execute. Apparently the binaries provided only work on AMD cpus? Is there an Intel 64bit version available??

xilsetup: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

/sbin/init: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, IA-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

./xilsetup bash: ./xilsetup: cannot execute binary file

Thanks,

--
-- Matt

+--
|Matthew Plante
| University of New Hampshire
| InterOperability Lab
| Research & Development
| SMTP: maplante@iol.unh.edu
| Phone: +1-603-862-0203
+-
Reply to
Matthew Plante

Xilinx is only shipping x86-64 binaries. Don't hold your breath waiting for an Itanic version.

cheers, aaron

Reply to
aholtzma

Doubtful that there is any support for Itanics. The 64 bit version of Xilinx is for the AMD64. You need an Athlon 64 or Opteron system. Also unless you are running out of memory on the 32 bit version of the Xilinx tools it's doubtful that you'll see any improvement using 64 bit binaries. I haven't tried the 64 bit version of the Xilinx tools so I can't say for sure but the 64 bit version of NCVerilog is 40% slower then the 32 bit version which is exactly what you would expect on code that uses large integer data structures. By compiling for 64 bit you double the size of all of your integers and pointers, which translates into a 50% reduction in effective memory bandwidth.

Reply to
Hiding in Plain Sight

Yes and no. Intel supports the same 64 bit interface AMD 64 architecture defines in it's P4 cpus so yes but that's not what you want. AMD64 is not the same as IA64 and it is very doubtful that Xilinx will release binaries for a (slowly) dying architecture.